armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Staff Sergeant

Default Heavy machine guns

I was woundering about heavy machine guns,ones from all the armies,whitch one is the best,i dont know much about them but i would like to learn

Old 04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Brigadier General

I wasnt quite sure what you ment......but the British amoung other nations use this.......[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L7A2[/url]

Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Brigadier General

Heres another......its good if you need to put down heavy fire.....surpressing targets is a big thing in Afghanistan.....they tent to jam at the wrong times though..........[url]http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/pw/hmg.htm[/url]

Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM
General of the Armies

jrj, both the .5 and the Mag are in service here and are tried and tested weapons.. did you know the Barrel of the .5 is the same weight as the Mag 7.62.. GPMG?...

Saw a new replacement for the FSG role, which the US Seals are looking at too according to the Metrosexual ExSeal "Mac" who presents the show... I think its an upgrade to the SAW, but it shoots 7.62mm rounds by belt fed.. its identical to the 5.56mm weapon save the rounds.. I should have being paying more attention, but "Macs" melodrama was making my eyes glaze over.. Weapon looks good though, as its 18lbs, thats 6lbs lighter then the MAG GPMG, which makes a BIG difference over long route marches..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Mk 48 Mod 0, Exo. Its essentially a M249 Para stripped down converted to the 7.62. Apparently, it's a sound weapon.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:31 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
Mk 48 Mod 0, Exo. Its essentially a M249 Para stripped down converted to the 7.62. Apparently, it's a sound weapon.
Thanks Pal... yep, it certainly looks like it can do the business to me..

Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cykz View Post
I was woundering about heavy machine guns,ones from all the armies,whitch one is the best,i dont know much about them but i would like to learn
depending from what you mean by "heavy", we use [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKM"]PKM[/URL] as the main infantry support
and [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSV"]NSV[/URL]s as aither vehicle mounted or on a tripod. NSVs mostly against helis and vehicle targets tough.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Brigadier General

and heres a [URL="http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg00-e.htm"]good collection about infantry support Machine guns[/URL] for you. browse from the left bar.

very nice site by the way. you may want to check the rest of it Cykz.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
depending from what you mean by "heavy", we use [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PKM"]PKM[/URL] as the main infantry support
and [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSV"]NSV[/URL]s as aither vehicle mounted or on a tripod. NSVs mostly against helis and vehicle targets tough.
Im liking it Torps,its a nearly 8lbs lighter then the MAG... man, now that would make a difference... Doesnt seem to surrender any of the MAGs strenghts either... wonder if it has locking teeth in the belt port?.... that was a big issue with earlier models of this class of weapon...

Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Im liking it Torps,its a nearly 8lbs lighter then the MAG... man, now that would make a difference... Doesnt seem to surrender any of the MAGs strenghts either... wonder if it has locking teeth in the belt port?.... that was a big issue with earlier models of this class of weapon...
it has double hook grip.

Quote:
The PK series belt fed mechanism works as follows: The belt comes to the feed tray from the right side of the PK. The feed tray is located over the chamber, and cartridges are pulled out from the belt to rearwards. While the bolt carrier starts withdraw after a shot is fired, the cartridge gripper pulls the next cartridge from the belt, and bolt carrier movement activates the feed pawl to move leftwards to pull the belt inwards. After travelling about 9 cm backwards the cartridge stops at the feed cam mounted on the top cover, and is dropped over the feed lips of the feed tray by a spring-loaded depressing arm. Just before that the ejector expels an empty case through a spring loaded ejection port on left side of receiver. Bolt carrier continues its withdraw for about 4 cm. When the forward motion begins, the bolt pushes the fresh round towards the chamber, and bolt carrier movement forces the feed pawl to move back to the right. A holding pawl located on the top cover retains the belt.

Text by Janne Pohjoispää at club.guns.ru

picture from pkymasehist.fi