armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 11-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Private First Class

Send a message via MSN to sister_cause
Talking Hello, can someone help me choose?

hi all. my name is molly hensrud. i live in minnesota. i want to go to college and stuff. but do i want ot join the army and get the help for money to go to colege, get the benifits. but can i really be able to survive through it. would i be able to mentally take it. should i enlist after college, before college? i dont know what to do!

Old 11-07-2005, 06:43 PM
First Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to Chickenhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Chickenhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sister_cause
hi all. my name is molly hensrud. i live in minnesota. i want to go to college and stuff. but do i want ot join the army and get the help for money to go to colege, get the benifits. but can i really be able to survive through it. would i be able to mentally take it. should i enlist after college, before college? i dont know what to do!
Molly, there are a lot of people asking questions like you have. Unfortunately, you are the only one who can answer them. We don't know you, what you are like, and what it is you want to do with your life. Consequently, we can't tell you if you will survive or will be able to mentally take it. That is up to you. Basic Training is a mind game as well as physically demanding. Your mind set is what gets you through. If you're positive and optimistic, you have a much better chance than if you're negative and pessimistic. Once permanent party, it is not too bad. There are thousands of females in the military, and there is no reason you can't be one of them if you qualify for enlistment.

Also, I hope the benefits aren't the only reason you want to join. I would hope that you really are wanting to serve your country in the process. You must be sure that this is the route you want to take. True, the benefits offered are substantial, and are a very good selling point. But, if you are not willing to spend your enlistment being a soldier first and a student second, think about what it is you are thinking about doing. No offense, but there are plenty of people who have joined for the college benefits and didn't have the intentions of being a good soldier. They do just enough to get by.

Another thing to think about is the limited choice of colleges you can attend, unless you plan to do distance learning or take classes online. If the military installation is near enough to a sizable city, you may have access to a university or community college. If not, each base has an education center where classes are held through local colleges. Also, if you are stationed overseas (Korea, anyway), it use to be that classes were offered through two colleges, Central Texas College and Troy State University. My instructor was actually my Platoon Sergeant who was qualified to teach. Other overseas locations may be different, and the colleges may have changed since I got out.
"SOLDIER" I was that which others did not want to be. I went where others feared to go and did what others failed to do...At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was...a soldier. (excerpt) ---Captain George Skypeck, U.S. Army---

Old 11-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Private First Class

Default hey

hey thaanks alot. caus i do want to join, but how do you know if you can surivive the unknown?i wacthed gi.jane. and it scared me alot. is that how they train the troops? or should i just blow it off? joining up and getting the benifits would be awsome! but i do want to serve my country. i want to feel like im doing something. thanks alot. molly

Old 11-08-2005, 04:17 PM
First Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to Chickenhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Chickenhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sister_cause
hey thaanks alot. caus i do want to join, but how do you know if you can surivive the unknown?i wacthed gi.jane. and it scared me alot. is that how they train the troops? or should i just blow it off? joining up and getting the benifits would be awsome! but i do want to serve my country. i want to feel like im doing something. thanks alot. molly
You must understand that GI Jane was a movie about a female going through Navy SEAL training. You will never go through anything that severe in Basic Training. Not even close. PT is difficult for many, but survivable. If you're serious about joining, start a physical conditioning regimen of your own. Do pushups, situps, and run. It would not hurt a bit to go to a gym if you can and just start working out. Do a wide range of muscular and cardiovascular exercises for strength and stamina. I will put a link to the physical requirements that you must meet at the end of this reply.

Everything else is not bad. If you don't have a problem with authority, doing things without asking questions, and can adapt and overcome to situations, you will be fine. Remember, everyone else there will be in the same boat you are: Not knowing fully what to expect. If you can survive without all your family and friends for several months, you will be fine. There will be opportunities to write frequently almost immediately and opportunities to call home or friends within a few weeks, maybe sooner. Don't sweat it. The soldiers you meet in Basic will become good friends. You will learn to work as a team and to rely on each other. And that is the key. Teamwork. You may even be assigned your very own "Battle Buddy", the person you will watch out for, and them for you, a little more closely than everyone else. You may always be paired with that person when going to the field.

It is difficult at first, but not too many fail to adapt and cannot handle it, only to be sent home. After all, it is not for everyone. Only one or two out of the whole company, usually. So don't sweat this part too much. Don't psyche yourself out. Keep a positive attitude and look at it with enthusiasm and a new opportunity.

PM me or email me if you want to. Here's that link I told you about: [URL="http://www.army.com/enlist/step7.html"]http://www.army.com/enlist/step7.html[/URL] It is actually part of this website. Go to the top of the forums and click on the 'HOME' tab. There is more info there, too.
"SOLDIER" I was that which others did not want to be. I went where others feared to go and did what others failed to do...At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was...a soldier. (excerpt) ---Captain George Skypeck, U.S. Army---

Old 11-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Private First Class

Default thanks guys

thank you so much. well i have been getting into the gym after school. ive also joined stage crew/constuction. to help build up endurance too. i cant really jog/run anymore, cause its starting to get really cold, but i get up early in the morning so my mom doesnt know. hehehehe. lol. i want to join up, but its weather i can make the reqiments, but i will!. i have to do this for myself and my country. alsoive done achery, and i get 17 out of 20 bullseyes. so i think i would do good handling a rifle, but i dont know. and now i just have to go and talk to a recrutier without my mom knowing. ill work on it. well thanks alot guys, umm if you want to send me an e-mail [email]I_support_autism@hotmail.com[/email]. so yea, ttyl, always molly