armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 07-06-2008, 08:50 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
During the Falklands conflict we had 50 Destroyers / Frigates to protect the landings and the carriers. We now have 25. So not as much room for error next time around eh? and with the cost of these fine vessels I'll be interested to see what cutbacks are made and where. I've watched this unfold before and can predict further cuts on an already diminished Frigate / Destroyer fleet!
Given what you have said, new Aircraft Carriers would seem to be a bit ambitious.... But I cant imagine them getting the green light without a tactical plan for the Navy being set out and Ok'd by the British Govt, which would of course include Funding... But its a case of wait and see I suppose....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 07-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Given what you have said, new Aircraft Carriers would seem to be a bit ambitious.... But I cant imagine them getting the green light without a tactical plan for the Navy being set out and Ok'd by the British Govt, which would of course include Funding... But its a case of wait and see I suppose....
The new Type 45 Destroyers look the part, I'll be interested to see how many they build to replace the Type 42's etc...As you may already know there are lines of defence around a carrier. Inner pickets and outer pickets...I guess with less ships we rely on technology more ....That makes me uncomfortable!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
The new Type 45 Destroyers look the part, I'll be interested to see how many they build to replace the Type 42's etc...As you may already know there are lines of defence around a carrier. Inner pickets and outer pickets...I guess with less ships we rely on technology more ....That makes me uncomfortable!
Relying on technology to much, is a bad thing deffo,taking the human eliment out of the loop,is asking for trouble,the type 45 destroyers,are as good as the stats sugest,well they will be a great bonus for our fleet,if im correct six are planned,but i think more will be needed over the years

Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Staff Sergeant

the royal navy have known for some time the current carriers needed replacing,and these two warships have been on the drawing board for some time,during eurofighters devlopment,they should have looked to give some numbers the vertical take-off system

Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Commando 4ever View Post
the royal navy have known for some time the current carriers needed replacing,and these two warships have been on the drawing board for some time,during eurofighters devlopment,they should have looked to give some numbers the vertical take-off system
With the talk of recession and an increasing role in Afghanistan, it'll be interesting to see where the resources end up being allocated.

How about frigates how many of those are on the drawing board?.

The other thing to bear in mind is at any one time a number of ship will be in dry dock being refitted, others as has been the case recently will be being used for spare parts to keep other ships operational. So the actual surface fleet is diminished even further by Whitehalls pursue strings.

With regard to the F35, it was always going to be a joint US/UK venture in order to share the cost. The Eurofighter was no different. I don't see why we would want to make the Eurofighter VSTOL capable.

Last edited by Spike; 07-06-2008 at 11:03 AM..

Old 07-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Brigadier General

what Eurofighter needs, is a finer thrust vectoring.

making Eurofighter V/STOL would basicly mean a new fighter alltogether.
hardly worth the effort.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post

making Eurofighter V/STOL would basicly mean a new fighter alltogether.
I have this highly original idea.............Lets call it an F35!!!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
I have this highly original idea.............Lets call it an F35!!!
lets not. the capablility of a strike jet with weapons load of F35 is a straw compared to the knife which Eurofighter holds.. well more like a Swiss army knife with a combat blade.

when the thought is put outside of the "Britannia", you will see that the stealth cofiguration in the long run is more of an hinder than a advantage.

the thing here is not all about the F35 Stealth but the cabability to function as long term solution. the F35 is gonna cost loads of .
the other thing with the F35 is that altough it's stealth, its no air superiority fighter.
(nor is the Eurofighter but at least its a fine multirole)

If you have F22s paving the way in the future... then it gets all the stars but otherwise...
its not the "magic solution".

Old 07-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
lets not. the capablility of a strike jet with weapons load of F35 is a straw compared to the knife which Eurofighter holds.. well more like a Swiss army knife with a combat blade.

when the thought is put outside of the "Britannia", you will see that the stealth cofiguration in the long run is more of an hinder than a advantage.

the thing here is not all about the F35 Stealth but the cabability to function as long term solution. the F35 is gonna cost loads of .
the other thing with the F35 is that altough it's stealth, its no air superiority fighter.
(nor is the Eurofighter but at least its a fine multirole)

If you have F22s paving the way in the future... then it gets all the stars but otherwise...
its not the "magic solution".
I think the Eurofighter will run circles around the F22...and comments from various pilot seem to back that up. Them having flown it!

Old 07-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
I think the Eurofighter will run circles around the F22...and comments from various pilot seem to back that up. Them having flown it!
F22?
if you mean F35.. its a good combo.