armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Recruit

Default Gift suggestions for the combat-deployed?

Hey y'all, and thanks in advance for your help! I'm a gulf-war vet, but things have changed since then. My best friend is going to Afghanistan, and all his friends want to give him something as a send-off.

My first idea was a helmet/weapon-mountable video camera, but I'm unsure about the rules. If he had this camera, would he be allowed to use it? What freedoms do you guys have now to customize your gear? This camera is small. It's self-contained, and is a bit smaller than a can of red bull.

Any and all gift suggestions are deeply appreciated. This guy is technically savvy, has a dork streak, and very practical. Would he be allowed to have a little GPS in his pocket, or will they issue him one anyway? Money isn't an issue (well, money is ALWAYS an issue, but what I'm saying is that there's gonna be about fifty folks chipping in, so we've got a good bit of leeway on the cash).

So, if you were my best friend, and you were going to Afghanistan in a combat capacity, what would you want me to give you?

Thanks again folks. We love you!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Sergeant First Class

Default Gift?

I tis up to the Soldiers individual chain of command to allow him the use of the Gun Cam. A GPS would be cool but with the Blue Force Tracker in every Humvee it is kind of a waste of money. If he doesnt already have one a lap top or a really good digital camera would be awesome. I had both of those in country and it was great to have. Chronicled my whole tour in words and pictures. The lap top was also extremely useful for playing video games during the thousands of hours of wait time that comes with every deployment. Tell your friend that we are proud of him!!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Captain

I agree with reconmedick, laptop or digital camera, maybe even a small video camera. If he doesn't have a webcam and mic, I'd throw that in there too.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Private First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to airbornerangerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
I tis up to the Soldiers individual chain of command to allow him the use of the Gun Cam. A GPS would be cool but with the Blue Force Tracker in every Humvee it is kind of a waste of money. If he doesnt already have one a lap top or a really good digital camera would be awesome. I had both of those in country and it was great to have. Chronicled my whole tour in words and pictures. The lap top was also extremely useful for playing video games during the thousands of hours of wait time that comes with every deployment. Tell your friend that we are proud of him!!

i also agree with reconmedik, but some pictures of home might be nice too

Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Brigadier General

Get him some sweets
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via AIM to PaganAngel Send a message via MSN to PaganAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Get him some sweets
lmao, do you say that to everyone!? i almost sent tom sweets... you know, the hershey m&m's XD but im sure they would of melted... so maybe ill try again in the winter with the 'sweets' idea. XD

Old 05-24-2009, 04:04 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganAngel View Post
lmao, do you say that to everyone!? i almost sent tom sweets... you know, the hershey m&m's XD but im sure they would of melted... so maybe ill try again in the winter with the 'sweets' idea. XD

Yeah...wait until the temperature drops and then get some sent...you cant go wrong with sweets
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganAngel View Post
Depending on where he's actually at he probably has access to a PX nearby & will be able to get all the treats & goodies he wants. When my son was over there for his 4 deployments he marveled that it seemed wherever they went on missions they could have access to a PX most of the time.

Just ask him what he could use that's not available or in short supply. I asked my son & he said to send some Cope. He was a squad leader at the time & although he doesn't use it most of his squad did & at that time it was hard to get. He said the guys were surly enough without having their nicotine fix.

My daughter sent him a care package the first time he was there. Magazines, jerky, DVDs, seasonings, candies, body wipes, etc. Probably a good $100 invested. He never got it.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.