armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 11-29-2005, 08:44 PM
First Sergeant

Default Liquid Armour.

Not-So-Heavy Metal

On the battlefield of the future, soldiers could be wearing uniforms that turn from soft, comfortable fabric to light, flexible, durable armor with a flip of a switch.

At Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), the Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies is dedicated to using nanoscale science’s potential to produce a protective uniform for the U.S. Army. One research team headed by professor of mechanical engineering Gareth McKinley starts with an oily fluid full of very tiny iron particles, and a magnet.

"What we're working with is a class of fluids called magnetorheological fluids," says McKinley. "These are liquids that change their properties when we apply a magnetic field to them. They are made up of very, very small iron particles, much smaller than individual red blood cells," which the researchers then mix into a silicon oil, or even corn syrup, so they don't rust. The oil or syrup also makes the solution mayonnaise-thick, with just enough stiffness to prevent it from running.

McKinley is director of MIT’s Hatsopoulos Microfluids Lab, which studies the properties of complex fluids and how fluids move in very small channels. Just as matter behaves in unusual ways at the scale of atoms and molecules, fluids also move differently at very small scales. When McKinley and his researchers apply a magnetic field to their solution, the tiny iron particles align with the magnetic field, and stack up on top of each other. As they do so, the fluid turns into a peanut butter-like substance that feels very hard. When the researchers remove the magnet, the solid instantly reverts to liquid. McKinley says that the change happens incredibly quickly—“in about 20 thousandths of a second. We can keep applying a magnetic field, turning off a magnetic field, and the material will keep going backwards and forwards, from liquid-like to solid-like and back again."

McKinley and his team are investigating ways to put this switchable solution into the material currently used to make bulletproof vests, which is essentially a woven fabric full of air gaps. Once the researchers immerse that fabric in magnetorheological fluid, "what we have without a magnetic field is a very soft, very flexible fabric, and when we apply a magnetic field, then the stiffness of that fabric changes by a factor of about 50 at the moment," says McKinley. "The stiffness change depends on the strength of the magnetic field. As the magnetic field gets stronger and stronger, then the stiffness change gets larger and larger.” The research team hopes that eventually, the fabric-fluid combination could resist a shockwave or shrapnel.

Since troops won't be carrying magnets on the battlefield, McKinley says he would wire the fabric of military uniforms with electric current that soldiers could switch on to produce electromagnetic fields. "Ultimately, the way the magnetic field would be applied in a suit, would be that the electromagnets or micro magnets would be part of the actual fabric suit system," says McKinley. "Working with Patrick Doyle, professor of chemical engineering at MIT, we've already explored the possibility of using very small magnets as valves to turn these fluids on and off."

McKinley emphasizes that this "instant armor" is definitely not combat-ready yet. "We've got five to ten years of research before we can make this material truly bullet-resistant," he says. Right now, he’s working with T. Alan Hatton, also of MIT’s chemical engineering department, on making his tiny iron particles in different shapes. “The particles that we’re using now look like soccer balls. They’re spherical," says McKinley. "If you were to stack a pile of those together, you don’t get very far. What would be better would be to have faceted particles, particles with flat faces, or particles that look more like donuts. You could stack a pile of donuts on top of each other.”

McKinley and his team also would like their fluid to change even faster, and to remain reversible for years.

McKinley’s research was presented at the Society of Rheology meeting in October 2003 and is funded by the U.S. Army Research Office.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:17 AM
Brigadier General

Very interesting concept. i have been interested in body armor development
since i was little..

the earliest i remember, was reading some very old Finnish sci-fi
probably from the times of rise of the Finnish nationalism, so it was kinda
silly when read nowadays.. something about fighting the Brits
with cavalry equipped with "hydrogen-steel armor".
go figure..
anyhows, while it sounds funny to our ears,
light armor (however impossible) would have given
unbelevible advantage to one side those days..

liquid armor?
flexible and bulletproof.. would be nice indeed..
given the professors situation in 2003 i'd
say that they might be testing with
diffrent shaped particles by now.

anyhows. at the moment i would bet that the armor
is still unusable because of its size / weight..
and this type of armor doesn't really
cover the one who's shot first.
jello vest.

however.. this idea has grate potential.
if the development progresses beyand
the point where it would make the soldier
look like a beerbelly.

Last edited by torspo[fin]; 11-30-2005 at 02:19 AM..

Old 11-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Private First Class

Lightbulb

This is alsome. I hope that these poeple Can do it. I think it would make a lot of poeple feel more comfortable if they knew hardly anything could penetrate it.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
First Sergeant

Total flexible nano body armour would be a great asset our armed forces could do with given the environments they work in these days.
Any advancements to making a fighting man or woman as close to indestructable as possible can only be a good thing.

Last edited by bones; 11-30-2005 at 09:45 AM..

Old 11-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Major

[url]http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/02/03/wo_leo032002.asp[/url]

The technology is being applied to this suit. I read about it awhile back in Discover.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
First Sergeant

'shape-memory alloys to enhance soldiers strength, advanced sensors to improve their awareness, and microphotonic materials to change their appearance'

wow that just takes it all to the next level,even the part where they plan on building combat suites that respond when a soldier is wounded,and administer painkillers and dress the wound from within is pretty mind blowing.
Soldiers of tommorrow are gonna have so much fun me jealous.

Old 11-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Staff Sergeant

Arrow

Sounds better than a half inch of steel front and back, seems interesting but this new body armour must be way more complicated and very exspensive and would be unethical to issue to every soldier. Dont see this coming into play any time from now.

Old 12-01-2005, 02:09 AM
Second Lieutenant

sounds pretty cool.......but could you imagine somthing going wrong and your left runing
around in your birthday suit and a rifle hahaha you wouldent have to kill the enemy they
would die of laughter lol

Old 12-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus185
sounds pretty cool.......but could you imagine somthing going wrong and your left runing
around in your birthday suit and a rifle hahaha you wouldent have to kill the enemy they
would die of laughter lol

lol!!! as long as they die!!! eh? HAHA. Besides me my birthday suit and an M4!!! I'm good!!!

Old 12-01-2005, 03:16 AM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekos
Sounds better than a half inch of steel front and back, seems interesting but this new body armour must be way more complicated and very exspensive and would be unethical to issue to every soldier. Dont see this coming into play any time from now.
About a good 15 to 20 years from now.