Yes 5 35.71%
no 5 35.71%
Didn't Watch It 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten
wow just saw it on my comp... damn i liked it really... and i dont get why u say that its "Hollywood" like... it seemed pretty real to me... :/

it might not be like the book, but it seems like they got the scenario right
They did indeed get 'the feel' right. (Don't worry, some smartarse will ask how I know too.)
It's a great film in its own right and has a great 'feel' for the place and the period.

'Never was so much owed by so many to so few.'
Sir Winston Churchill.

Nearly 750,000 Iraqis have died since 2003 who might still be alive but for the US-led invasion. That is a cause for shame, not pride.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:58 AM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky
And you know this from personal experience? Sorry, but it's Hollywood tripe. Entertaining, but not much realistic about the whole film. Take it for what it is, a movie.. and don't try to turn it into some documentary on the lives of Marines during the first Gulf War, because it was nothing like that.
never said it was a documentary smartass... and i cant say that thats how it was down there during Desert Shield/Storm, but "Hollywood" style is where theres 1 soldier taking out a million enemies... this movie shows how these troops were left without any enemy to fight... not to be a smartass but i have talked to more than 1 soldier and they all say that its like 1% fight and 99% routine/boringness(in Iraq that is)... thats the thing that makes this movie special... it focuses on the boringness instead of action action action like its some goddamn western cowboy movie :P hehe... also shows how these troops are getting mental problems, they sit in a goddamn camp all day long and does NOTHING while their wifes and GF's are runnin around cheatin on them :P

i remember a story during the iraq invasion where a journalist was standin in a room and a soldier with a sniper rifle came in and looked so damn sad(they had just "won" the war)... the journalist asked what was wrong and the answer was something like: "Because now the war is over!, and i didn't even get to shoot my rifle once!!".. totally dissapointed for not killing anyone... :S

i just cant put my finger on anything in the movie that seemed so "Hollywood", :P except the single scene where the soldier was just standing there doing nothing while mortar rounds was dropped all over the place. :S

anyways... plz educate me! :=)

Old 01-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Like or dislike the movie, it won't change the fact that it was based on lies and old wives tales that have been in the US military since 1776.

I was in DS/DS...guess I must have missed that "feel."

Old 01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Like or dislike the movie, it won't change the fact that it was based on lies and old wives tales that have been in the US military since 1776.

then explain to us... what is so hollywood about it? :S

Old 01-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
then explain to us... what is so hollywood about it? :S
I am curious as to why you do not enlist and learn for yourself.

A Marine shot and killed in training, with no fallout whatsoever. SSgt remains in command of the platoon? Never happen, not even a possibility.

Dozens of Marines celebrating the end of the war by dancing around a bonfire, gleefully firing their rifles into the night sky. Not in any branch of the military, and certainly not in the Marine Corps.

A S/S team forgotten and left in the desert. Not likely.

The video tape of the wife, military urban legend.

Swafford was never a S/S, he never attended any S/S school and never held the S/S MOS.

Marines being undisciplined. Not in a forward deployed area.

Those are just a few.

You may like the movie, but it was hardly accurate of what life during a war is like. Yes, we do have a lot of downtime..however, that down time is generally filled with productive endeavours rather than homo-erotic game play.

"Jarhead" was the Gulf War edition of "Platoon." Hollywood as it gets.

Until you have actually been there, and done that...you won't really know what it is like, and to claim you do is nothing but a delusion.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:40 PM
First Sergeant

Crapest War Film Ever

Old 01-14-2006, 07:28 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:
I am curious as to why you do not enlist and learn for yourself.
wow talk about judging... actually.. for ur information i'm going to bootcamp in 14 days...

Quote:
A Marine shot and killed in training, with no fallout whatsoever. SSgt remains in command of the platoon? Never happen, not even a possibility.
but irl(in real life) didn't they train with live fire during the crawling? (dont remember what the exercise is called)

Quote:
Dozens of Marines celebrating the end of the war by dancing around a bonfire, gleefully firing their rifles into the night sky. Not in any branch of the military, and certainly not in the Marine Corps.
that is a thing i agree with.. the end was "hollywood like" yes... still... very much acceptable by my standards

Quote:
A S/S team forgotten and left in the desert. Not likely.
forgotten? who? where? :P

Quote:
The video tape of the wife, military urban legend.
wasn't it allowed to get tapes from home? :S well... it is today.. lol. or... they're getting through anyways... lol

Quote:
Swafford was never a S/S, he never attended any S/S school and never held the S/S MOS.
what has that to do with Hollywood style? as long they dont overdo hes role and makes him some kind of Ultra Killer Sniper :P lol... *ahem* anyways...

Quote:
Marines being undisciplined. Not in a forward deployed area.
which scenes are u referring to?

Quote:
Those are just a few.

You may like the movie, but it was hardly accurate of what life during a war is like. Yes, we do have a lot of downtime..however, that down time is generally filled with productive endeavours rather than homo-erotic game play.

"Jarhead" was the Gulf War edition of "Platoon." Hollywood as it gets.

Until you have actually been there, and done that...you won't really know what it is like, and to claim you do is nothing but a delusion.
omg shut the **** up!! seriously...
when did i say that i knew how it was like? i say that, thats how i THINK it COULD be like... i read blogs, TONS of them!. i watch the video's from Iraq... u cant find a single piece of footage from Iraq that i haven't seen...

Old 01-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
wow talk about judging... actually.. for ur information i'm going to bootcamp in 14 days...
Let us know when you fail.

Quote:
omg shut the **** up!! seriously...
when did i say that i knew how it was like? i say that, thats how i THINK it COULD be like... i read blogs, TONS of them!. i watch the video's from Iraq... u cant find a single piece of footage from Iraq that i haven't seen...
Yet, you still haven't been there, have you wannabe? You better check your ego if you expect to survive boot. You will either learn to listen to those that have gone before you, and realise you don't know jack about anything...or you'll fail, die or worse, get someone else killed with your idiocy. Reality check, kid. You don't have a clue about war, combat and certainly not the military. I suggest you remember that so that you won't simply become another piss poor soldier in a line of piss poor no dicipline know everything kids.

For someone whom has already signed a contract, you certainly are stupid.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:

you were in DS jez that was 14-15 years ago and your still in the army what rank do you hold now

Old 01-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to royal marine

give over tacky no1 likes you here