armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 AM
Recruit

Default Security Clearance, Bankruptcy, and getting married?? Please Help me

Ok, here's my situation. I am planning on getting married to my fiancee after she completes AIT in August. I was previously married and went though some difficult times and had to file for bankruptcy. She met with her financial advisor this week and he stated that for her to get the security clearance that she was looking for, getting married to me could deny her the clearance that she is looking for. I have searched other websites and have found nothing related to this matter concerning a spouse's previous filing for bankruptcy. I have cleared the fact with my lawyer that because I filed and completed bankruptcy previously to getting married, it does not affect her credit in any way. I am afraid that if for some reason it does affect her security clearance, she will not want to marry. Is there any truth to this??? and if so what??? Please help

Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckimman View Post
Ok, here's my situation. I am planning on getting married to my fiancee after she completes AIT in August. I was previously married and went though some difficult times and had to file for bankruptcy. She met with her financial advisor this week and he stated that for her to get the security clearance that she was looking for, getting married to me could deny her the clearance that she is looking for. I have searched other websites and have found nothing related to this matter concerning a spouse's previous filing for bankruptcy. I have cleared the fact with my lawyer that because I filed and completed bankruptcy previously to getting married, it does not affect her credit in any way. I am afraid that if for some reason it does affect her security clearance, she will not want to marry. Is there any truth to this??? and if so what??? Please help
There is alot of truth to it. Your spouse can definatly impact your security clearance. I would advise you to wait to get married until after her clearance has been done. After that she will have to notify her command of her change in status but revoking her clearance is unlikely. I also would advise you to do everything you can do to clean up your credit report as soon as possible. He rclearance will come up for review again and if you still have financial issues she could lose her clearance.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Recruit

ReconMedik is right. I'm an Intell Analyst and getting people clearences is a huge part of my job. You having a bad credit report with a bankruptcy on it within the last 7 years can adversly affect the outcome of her clearance. unfortunatly, depending on the type of clearance she is getting, this could mean you putting off your marriage for another 6-12 months AFTER she graduates from AIT. The good news is that the amount you filed bankruptcy for will be the biggest determining factor. If it was more than $100,000.00 then you need to wait till she gets the clearance. If its less than $50,000.00 then you shouldn't have to worry. Between $50,000.00 and $100,000.00 is gray lined and will depend on the nature of your bankruptcy. Personally, I myself filed chapter 7 bankruptcy 5 years ago, yet i hold a TS clearance. It all depends on why you filed in the first place. In my case it was because of a medical crisis that i had no control over. However, if its because you just HAD to have that new car, and new house, or anything that would be considered as BAD FINACIAL DECISIONS that you just weren't smart about, then you will definatly want to wait.