Old 07-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim76 View Post
[URL="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d92_1206955370"]Part 1[/URL]
[URL="http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bac_1206958190"]Part 2[/URL]
english subs

thx to the original poster
If I was French I would be proud of any French soldier serving his country. But a lass and you knew this critisnm was coming Jim ................

It will take alot more than just training the A.A and the occasional encounter with the Taliban to stabilise Afghanistan. Due to ISAF efforts in Helmand and Kandahar etc we now have the Taliban abandoning conventional warfare and opting for the terrorism route. This believe it or not is a successful consequence of ISAF tactics. We now have the responsibility of defeating their ideology and their funding network. The French troops will not do this under their current mission. They are simply deployed with both hands tied behind their backs. Which as you know completely infuriates your NATO partners and thus presents the enemy with a fracturing alliance........and so Jim I don't really understand what the French or Italian or German deployment is trying to achieve .

Its like they turned up to the football match but forgot to bring the ball!

Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Second Lieutenant

To be honest I don't know what happens in Afghanistan but french mission is to assist and to form new afghan army (like on the video) so what is your point ? if you want win the war without afghan peoples I think you go in the wall. by implying them I think that is the best solution no?

Old 07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Major General

Quote:
To be honest I don't know what happens in Afghanistan but french mission is to assist and to form new afghan army (like on the video) so what is your point ? if you want win the war without afghan peoples I think you go in the wall. by implying them I think that is the best solution no?
My point is that it will take more than one factor to defeat the Taliban. Just training the AA is not enough.

We are doing this for the Afghan peolpe and for our own security. They are one and the same objective.

The world is a small place!

Last edited by Texas; 07-15-2008 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Brigadier General

My opinion on the French in Afghanistan has already been made clear....and im not one for disrespecting a nations military...
but come on....the only nations willing to take the fight to the Taliban on a large sacle are .
the Americans
our lads
and the Canadians
thats just fact...the french.. the Italians... and the Germans have their mandates...whatever...but if im honest its a joke...i agree with Tex...the ISAF.. have had sucsess when they have confronted the Taliban

dont get me wrong...the French are fine soldiers...thats why its so frustrating they are unwilling to get stuck in...combat soldiers from france..italy ...or germany...would be a welcome releaf in the border regions......fair enough they do other work....traing the afghans...re building...ect....ect...but they are powerful forces that need to be deployed to the south

they are in afghanistan yes.....but they are not in the fight

thats just how i see it....no offence

Old 07-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Second Lieutenant

no offence at all but if you look the israelo-palestinian conflict we are here for a long long long time even with more soldiers, for me this is the job of the aghan people first If we want win for the long term now about our security today the danger is from the interior in our houses our citizens not totaly Afghanistan, you want more soldiers ok I am first with you but I am sceptic too... if you look History the british empire and the red army even with their military successes never succeeded to dominate this country, the relief is mountainous even with 300 000 soldiers it's a mouse & cat game.... another plan but maybe too cruel and radical a total ablation of Afghanistan by nuclear strikes ?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
no offence at all but if you look the israelo-palestinian conflict we are here for a long long long time even with more soldiers, for me this is the job of the aghan people first If we want win for the long term now about our security today the danger is from the interior in our houses our citizens not totaly Afghanistan, you want more soldiers ok I am first with you but I am sceptic too... if you look History the british empire and the red army even with their military successes never succeeded to dominate this country, the relief is mountainous even with 300 000 soldiers it's a mouse & cat game.... another plan but maybe too cruel and radical a total ablation of Afghanistan by nuclear strikes ?
I agree on some of the points you have made....and yes it is an Afghan fight...but they are not ready as of yet....to take on the Taliban...so in the mean time...its up to well trained...skilled armies to do it...if we handed over all responsibility for fighting the taliban...to the Afghan Army...with all due respect to the Afghans...they would get rolled over...the Taliban need confronting now....so we cant wait untill the Afghans are ready....we are not going to beat the taliban by military force alone...there are other messures that need to be taken....nevertheless....military victory against the taliban is one of many key components...to a terrorist free....and stable afghanistan...if people think a stable Afghanistan can be achived....without military victories.....then im sorry....they are mistaken

your point about history is correct....however
the soviets....and many years ago the British empires...goal were very different...their goal was.....to conquer and control
this isnt ISAFs objective at all
i dont agree with you on troop numbers.....even an extra 10-20,000 more soliders..(combat soldiers)....in the southern provinces...say from France...Germany....Italy(5-7,000 each)..would make a huge difference....in my opinion

as for nukes falling on Afghanistan???.....do you really expect me to give it even a hint of credibility by responding Jim???

Old 07-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Second Lieutenant

Mister Jrj you know better the situation than me, I have some questions who are the talibans ? they are strangers or afghan ? they are terrorists (a fashion word today) ? where do they come from (there is manufacturing plant or a queen mother like the bees ) ?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM
General of the Armies

The French team did a fine job there no doubt, but jrj is Right, the French deployment needs to go up in numbers and tasks.... noone who is being serious is knocking the Bravery or professionalism of French soldiers like those, but France is taking a correct critisizm for restricting the deployment, and thus the possible progress if it had a deployment mandate and size like the British or US. That is the critical issue there...

.. however, mark my words friends, the outcome of Afganistan will determine the level of terrorism our childrens children will have to live with!!.. and no two step politcal grandstanding politican will be alive to see the damage they do by being childish about the past when developing policy for the future...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 07-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Brigadier General

No way...i would never question the quality...or bravery...of the french soldiers...i have my digs at the French....but come on im English....but in all honesty...they are fine troops
so their presents in the south...would be fantastic