armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Current Events
User Name
Password

Old 07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
If I was French I would be proud of any French soldier serving his country. But a lass and you knew this critisnm was coming Jim ................

It will take alot more than just training the A.A and the occasional encounter with the Taliban to stabilise Afghanistan. Due to ISAF efforts in Helmand and Kandahar etc we now have the Taliban abandoning conventional warfare and opting for the terrorism route. This believe it or not is a successful consequence of ISAF tactics. We now have the responsibility of defeating their ideology and their funding network. The French troops will not do this under their current mission. They are simply deployed with both hands tied behind their backs. Which as you know completely infuriates your NATO partners and thus presents the enemy with a fracturing alliance........and so Jim I don't really understand what the French or Italian or German deployment is trying to achieve .

Its like they turned up to the football match but forgot to bring the ball!
Actually it seems that FID is not all the French are doing. I'm returning to my FOB from R&R and I've been in a transient status in BAF right now for some time and the French Marines are all over this place. And I have seen them gearing up and rolling out the gate for what appears to be combat patrols not FID missions.

It seems like their finding a way to go out and actually do some kinetic missions. Good on them.

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - Gen William T. Sherman

Old 07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by onep0int View Post
Actually it seems that FID is not all the French are doing. I'm returning to my FOB from R&R and I've been in a transient status in BAF right now for some time and the French Marines are all over this place. And I have seen them gearing up and rolling out the gate for what appears to be combat patrols not FID missions.

It seems like their finding a way to go out and actually do some kinetic missions. Good on them.

Good to hear from you again onepoint...it looked like preperation for combat patrols?
the noises i have heard say they are engaging the Taliban..but its on quite small levels..but to be honest i dont know what rules of engagement the French have...by all acounts their combat missions are limited...but your in a better place to comment then me

Old 07-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Brigadier General

Don't hold your breath, they 'll just be securing their area of operations. Its quite a different thing to agressively go out and find the enemy to engage them.
What do you think we are............ Stupid?

When the French casualties start rolling in day after day then I'll take my hat off to them until then their army is a work of fiction!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Brigadier General

Theres different levels of patrol..depending on location and situation..im sure the French get into scirmishes...and defend...but like i said...i dont know what the french rules of engagement are...can they even mount agressive patrols,because of the politics?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
i dont know what the french rules of engagement are...can they even mount agressive patrols,because of the politics?
the French government announced yesterday that it

has also raised its terror alert level, moving from "Run" to "Hide."

The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and

"Collaborate." This rise was precipitated by a recent fire that

destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the

country's military capability.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
the French government announced yesterday that it

has also raised its terror alert level, moving from "Run" to "Hide."

The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and

"Collaborate." This rise was precipitated by a recent fire that

destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the

country's military capability.
Roger that ! LOL...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Second Lieutenant

In fact there exist 4 levels Yellow, Orange, Red and Scarlet [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigipirate[/url]

Old 08-03-2008, 01:16 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by onep0int View Post

Welcome back Onepoint, hows life in the sandbox treating ya?...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 08-03-2008, 01:19 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Don't hold your breath, they 'll just be securing their area of operations. Its quite a different thing to agressively go out and find the enemy to engage them.
What do you think we are............ Stupid?

When the French casualties start rolling in day after day then I'll take my hat off to them until then their army is a work of fiction!
Securing an operating area that is hostile is no different to combat patrols in reality Spike and you know that!!.. However, buried in all that sarcasm is a valid point, forward operating offensive missions would not be carried out by them... and ONCE again, its the politicians, not the soldiers who are to blame for that!!!!..... French politicans in the scale of politicians have to be some of the most immature, volitile and arrogant around...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"