armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 08-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Recruit

Send a message via AIM to tch2296
Question Eligibility

I am a college student at UC: Santa Barbara who is taking some time off to earn money for school. I study biopsychology, and am a year or two away from finishing my Bachelor of Science degree. From there, I want to go to medical school or maybe pharm school I had many recruiters call me after high school, but was never interested at that point. Now, I want to be able to support myself, educat myself, and prove I have what it takes.
The problem is that I became addicted to dope when I was in school. I began outpatient rehab (choose to myself, not court-ordered) and have been clean since April 2007. However, I still take Suboxone, a drug similar to methadone which keeps the withdrawals from dope and the cravings for it away. I also take valium for the same reason. I am legally prescribed both medications, of course, and they are doing a good job of keeping me clean.
I was very successful in high school, graduating with a 4.3 on a 5 point scale (we had AP classes so you could get a 5.2 or something for an A+ in those classes). I took almost every AP course I could and came into college as a sophomore. I am very good with people, in good physical shape, and am mentally stable.
The question is, if I was to enlist (if that is even possible considering my situation), would I be allowed to continue use of Suboxone and Valium while on Active Duty? Or do you need to be completely detoxed to start service. Most drug tests do not pick up valium or buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone), so that isn't the problem; I would need to get these meds on a monthly basis. Does the Army, Air Force, or Navy allow this type of thing?
I know I would make a very good solider, I just screwed up in college and have improved myself a ton. I just want to get out there and show people I am strong enough to fight for my country, and to be able to say I support myself, instead of my parents paying for everything in my life.
I would love it if someone who knows the policies could respond, I couldn't fin anything on the website concerning use of psychotropic medications while on active duty. Peace guys.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:47 PM
General of the Armies

You need to approach a recruiter about a waiver... I dont know if Doping is allowable, but one sniff ofit in the Army and your career is over... Waivers for drug abuse is something a recruiter would have to look into for you...

Exo..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 08-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch2296 View Post
I am a college student at UC: Santa Barbara who is taking some time off to earn money for school. I study biopsychology, and am a year or two away from finishing my Bachelor of Science degree. From there, I want to go to medical school or maybe pharm school I had many recruiters call me after high school, but was never interested at that point. Now, I want to be able to support myself, educat myself, and prove I have what it takes.
The problem is that I became addicted to dope when I was in school. I began outpatient rehab (choose to myself, not court-ordered) and have been clean since April 2007. However, I still take Suboxone, a drug similar to methadone which keeps the withdrawals from dope and the cravings for it away. I also take valium for the same reason. I am legally prescribed both medications, of course, and they are doing a good job of keeping me clean.
I was very successful in high school, graduating with a 4.3 on a 5 point scale (we had AP classes so you could get a 5.2 or something for an A+ in those classes). I took almost every AP course I could and came into college as a sophomore. I am very good with people, in good physical shape, and am mentally stable.
The question is, if I was to enlist (if that is even possible considering my situation), would I be allowed to continue use of Suboxone and Valium while on Active Duty? Or do you need to be completely detoxed to start service. Most drug tests do not pick up valium or buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone), so that isn't the problem; I would need to get these meds on a monthly basis. Does the Army, Air Force, or Navy allow this type of thing?
I know I would make a very good solider, I just screwed up in college and have improved myself a ton. I just want to get out there and show people I am strong enough to fight for my country, and to be able to say I support myself, instead of my parents paying for everything in my life.
I would love it if someone who knows the policies could respond, I couldn't fin anything on the website concerning use of psychotropic medications while on active duty. Peace guys.
You would need a waiver AND you have to be off the drugs for a minimum of a year.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by tch2296 View Post
If you are talking a substitute for the dope that would say to me you still have the effects of withdrawals..my advice would be let the withdrawal programme run its course..stay clean for a year..no subs nothing...then consider a military future
As you know..one step at a time
good luck mate

Tags
drug testing, suboxone, valium