armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Recruit

Default Privacy violation

My husband is in the Natioanl Guard. He just recieved a letter that his a second alternate to deploy to afghanistan. When he went to work the next day to tell his employer, his employer had already heard it from someone else. The same thing happened when he told his family about the deployment. My husband knew nothing about the deployment before the letter came. We have traced back the source of the rumor to an E-8 who is also set to deploy to Afghanistan on the same mission. We feel this was a violation of my husband privacy rights. Does anyone have an opinion? Does he have any recource?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Brigadier General

If it's only a rumor that the E-8 was the one who let that info out it's probably going to be pretty hard to prove it unless he gave his name to the employer & family members who he told.

Are you sure that he wasn't told to do that by his superiors as an official notification? That sounds unlikely as it's still not a sure thing that your husband will deploy. Does the E-8 personally know the employer & family? Maybe he just let it slip in conversation with them.

Otherwise I can't see any reason why he would do that. There would be nothing in it for him to do so.

I don't really know what recourse you have in that matter. Maybe a call to a JAG unit might be in order to get advice. I think further research is called for.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Recruit

Default Pivacy

Yes the E-8 knows his employer and family personally. I believe the exact quote to my husband's brother from the E-8 was "Your brother is going to Afghanistan with me. He just doesn't know it yet." The E-8 is one of the lead people in charge of putting together the group of soldiers that will deploy.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Staff Sergeant

Talking

Big deal, the fight is where u will be going not here. You are serving the country not yourself!!!! Figure it out buddy!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPS1973 View Post
My husband is in the Natioanl Guard. He just recieved a letter that his a second alternate to deploy to afghanistan. When he went to work the next day to tell his employer, his employer had already heard it from someone else. The same thing happened when he told his family about the deployment. My husband knew nothing about the deployment before the letter came. We have traced back the source of the rumor to an E-8 who is also set to deploy to Afghanistan on the same mission. We feel this was a violation of my husband privacy rights. Does anyone have an opinion? Does he have any recource?

Thanks
Sadly, things like this happen. Is it right? No, it isn't and yes it very much is a violation of the privacy act. Is there anything you can do about it, not really. You could go through his chain of command and let them know that you weren't happy with how things went down the likelihood that anything would actually come of it, is slim.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Private

Lightbulb with all due respect

with all due respect, if there was no harm done, perhaps the guy just talked because it was a big deal to him and he couldn't contain himself. If there was no intention to do harm, I wouldn't try to ruin his career over it. Just ream him a new one on the phone and be done with it. Anytime you get lawyers, superiors and whatnot involved when someone meant no harm, you do more harm to the whole than they did you in the first place. Only if he meant to be mean or spiteful would I worry about it (beyond giving him a proverbial kick in the ...). If he's going to afganistan on the same mission I doubt it does anyone any good to make enemies within the same unit.

Summary: ream him a new one, then let it go.

DA