armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Reserves
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Recruit

Default Currently a Police Officer... interested in joining.

I browsed this forum, couldnt find the answers to my questions so I figured it warranted a post. I'm currently a police officer, ive got a handful of specialty skills etc etc, and dont want to give up my job to go full time army and attempt a career in the SF community (currently 26yo so thats the issue really I feel I may be too old to start now). So I figured the reserves would give me the opportunity to serve, do a deployment or two, and keep my current job with the PD so long as everything goes well on deployment. How does the activation process work? If I were to get called up, would I deploy with or as part of an active duty unit, or only with a reserve unit. Will they throw a reservist in the mix with a full time unit etc etc. I am defenentally interested in deploying. What kind of missions would the reserve infantryman participate in? Ive got a good head start on cqb which is why i was interested in the 11b/11x. Kinda long I know, sorry.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Brigadier General

Don't aplogise for your post., It wasn't that long & besides how else can you ask questions?

When you deploy you'll go with your Reserve unit. The Reserve unit may very well be attached to an Acxtive Army unit though.

What do you mean that 26 is too old to start? the Army is now recruiting up to 42 so you're just a young whippersnapper.

I think I should take offense at that. I joined the Navy at 17, stayed in for 6 years, got out for 14 & went into the Army at age 38! Even went Airborne Infantry.

Mostly Reserve 11Bs are instructors. The Reserve isn't real big on Combat Arms but rather Support & Training.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.