armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Reserves
User Name
Password

Old 04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Recruit

Default College and the Reserves

I'm coming up on my 3rd week in AIT. I joined the Army Reserves in order to help pay for the 4 years of college loan i have acquired. I was just curious is it to late for me to register for the TA and ECS programs within my unit to make sure I'm not deployed within a certain amount of time so I can finish my education. I would ask my recruiter but he is retiring and sent me off to some other guy, and I have no way of contacting him because I got my phone taken up here.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Brigadier General

At this point it's probably up to the unit you'll be going to. Unless you work something out your unit will need everyone during deployment. If it's not specifically in your contract it might not happen. I think it would be out of a Recruiter's hands by now because you're long out of the Recruiting process. Try to get a hold of him anyway on the chance he can do something for you. Once you complete AIT & get to your assigned Reserve unit you can check with them on the Tuition Assistance & deferred deployment programs. They might be able to do something for you.

In the Reserves very seldom is education a reason for non-deployment. unless you're in the ECS program. You're taking up a slot in the Reserve unit that could have gone to someone who was willing to deploy voluntarily. A lot depends on whether the unit is over-strength or undermanned or doesn't have a great need for your MOS.

I always recommend to people who are in school & can't afford to continue to finish out a semester & enlist in the Active Duty Army. Once you get out you have the rest of your life to finish your education without interruption & at the same time have most of it paid for by the Montgomery GI Bill.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.