armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 03-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Recruit

Default Girl joining the Army Reserve

I'm a 19 year old college student who's thinking about joining the Army Reserve in the hopes of taking an army media job once I return home from training. I know I can do it mentally... but I'm unsure if I can do it physically. I'm 5'2", 110 pounds, overall a small girl. I want to be able to gain more body strength and ultimately finish BCT, but do I even have a chance? I've heard many stories about how hard training can get... I'm unsure if my body can even handle it. Also, a friend of mine who's an ex-Marine says that the chances of me getting deployed are a lot greater given the current situations? I'm not sure if that's 100% true though... any insight on that would be great. Thanks so much!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Captain

When I shipped off to basic training, I was 5'1 and 96 lbs. I was able to accomplish all the tasks placed before me. Basic Training is designed to break you down and build you back up into a Soldier. You will receive the training you need to endure. They don't start you off expecting the highest standards, they build you up. Never let your size being a handicap. I went on to Airborne and Air Assault School, so you can do whatever you put your mind to.

As far as the deployability aspect. Well we are a nation with Soldiers serving overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan. Depending on your Reserve units rotation cycle you may or may not get deployed. If you choose to stay in the military for a while, the chances of you deploying are higher.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Recruit

Ah, your post was so reassuring. Thank you!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Brigadier General

This is as good a time as any to start training your body for BCT, ocgirl. Start running every other day & do push-ups & sit-ups daily. In no time you'll be all set to meet the BCT challenge. The training is not all that hard especially if you've prepared for it. Google "APFT" & see what score you have to attainb in the PT test to pass. At BCT you only have to pass with 50% but once you get in a unit it'll be 60% so that would be the score you should shoot for.

A good rule of thumb when joining any component in the Army is to expect to be deployed. that way you won't be dissapointed when it actually happens. There is nothing in this world that's 100% sure other than death & taxes, though.

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Tags
army reserve, bct, physical