armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Reserves
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Private

Default medical/enlistment/bureaucracy question

I went to meps back in febuary. I was good to go for the Arkansas National Guard with the exception of blood pressure. I've never had hbp (high blood pressure) and nobody in my family has ever had it. at any rate because of the stress of waking up at 4:00 AM and the underwear olympics I couldn't calm down. The doc at meps told me that if I don't have hbp then I probably just have a case of white coat syndrome. He told me that all I'd have to do is get my blood pressure taken three times in three consecutive days I'll get a waiver and move along just fine. I had the readings taken by my doctor and I had 3 readings that were all between 135/70-140/80. Problem was the Guard was over recruiting goal and wouldn't be able to get a waiver approved for me. My recruiter suggested I go to the Reserves.

I switch over and I get told I have to get more readings. Something to the tune of 3 a day for 3 days in a row. (which was one hell of a hassle) I get the readings (all within normal range) that they need and my recruiter told me I was good to go for a short trip through meps with just height and weight measurements on 20090507 (Thursday) I go back to the office today to pull my job and wade my way through paperwork hell and my recruiter has bad news. MEPS gave me a 3p DQ on blood pressure. He also said they didn't want to give me a waiver.

Essentially what he said was I have to wait for the Army Surgeon General to tell mepcom to let me in. He said stuff like this happens all the time. To me it sounds like this is something that looks an awful lot like a run around.

Other than those 3 or 4 bp readings at meps nobody has ever suggested I've got a bp problem. ( I had it taken at an eye appointment that week and it was at 130/70)

I love and want to serve my country.
I scored a 95 on my asvab.
Why is there so many hoops to jump through?
I understand there's got to be tough requirements for service but this is ridiculous. If anyone has a good reason a perfectly healthy man with a healthy dose of patriotism can't serve his country tell me why.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
First Lieutenant

They took your blood pressure after you went thru ORTHO? Seems wierd to me. When I went to MEPS the first thing they did before we were even briefed was we had out BP taken.

Sorry I don't really have much advice for you. I think the general concensus now is that with the recruitment surge (high school grads on top of economy) the Army isn't issuing any waivers. So, I think what your recruiter meant was that when the Surgeon General releases the waiver hold after recruitment is back down, you will be able to enlist then.

Good luck to ya.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
They took your blood pressure after you went thru ORTHO? Seems wierd to me. When I went to MEPS the first thing they did before we were even briefed was we had out BP taken.

Sorry I don't really have much advice for you. I think the general concensus now is that with the recruitment surge (high school grads on top of economy) the Army isn't issuing any waivers. So, I think what your recruiter meant was that when the Surgeon General releases the waiver hold after recruitment is back down, you will be able to enlist then.

Good luck to ya.
hmmm... nah they took my bp first thing. it was at like 152/79. after orthos it was slightly higher than before. 157ish/80ish. It made me kinda angry at the time. I've never really had trouble with anything health wise. (bp especially) granted I know that would be grounds for dq that day but with all the normal readings I have I don't see why they're being so stingy with waivers.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:45 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiwin223 View Post
hmmm... nah they took my bp first thing. it was at like 152/79. after orthos it was slightly higher than before. 157ish/80ish. It made me kinda angry at the time. I've never really had trouble with anything health wise. (bp especially) granted I know that would be grounds for dq that day but with all the normal readings I have I don't see why they're being so stingy with waivers.
They are being stingy right now because there are so many applicants that the Army can afford to pick and choose. Why waste time and money getting waivers for people when there are people coming through who don't need them. Its a PIA for you but don't worry. When recruiting numbers go back down they will allow waivers again and you'll be able to join.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
They are being stingy right now because there are so many applicants that the Army can afford to pick and choose. Why waste time and money getting waivers for people when there are people coming through who don't need them. Its a PIA for you but don't worry. When recruiting numbers go back down they will allow waivers again and you'll be able to join.
true... but my NG recruiter spifd all relevant information to the recruiter for the reserves. Up until today I wasn't told there'd be any problems getting in. I even requested off work for two days for the overnight trip back to meps. The guy at the office told me to not worry about it and it'd be cleared up in weeks, not months. The way I understood it was the Reserves were the only component that was not reaching recruitment goals, the NG was 20000+ over the goal and active duty was over goal despite the negative press from the Iraq war... If the reserves are over quota too I might just have to fail a psyche eval and join the marines.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Medical

The bottom line is this. Once you raise your right hand the Army owns and is responsible for you! I know people who served less than 30 days in the military and they are now drawing a big fat disability check for something that they say was caused by their military service. In most cases the issue was something they had before enlistment but was missed at MEPS. Now the Government is required to care for that individual the rest of thier life. It always comes down to MONEY. As far as they are concerned you have a pre-existing condition and you will be a burden on the taxpayer. I am not saying that what they are doing is right but thanks to a few dirtbags that were not fit enough to carry my jock, now pulling the wool over the VA's eyes you have to suffer for it.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
The bottom line is this. Once you raise your right hand the Army owns and is responsible for you! I know people who served less than 30 days in the military and they are now drawing a big fat disability check for something that they say was caused by their military service. In most cases the issue was something they had before enlistment but was missed at MEPS. Now the Government is required to care for that individual the rest of thier life. It always comes down to MONEY. As far as they are concerned you have a pre-existing condition and you will be a burden on the taxpayer. I am not saying that what they are doing is right but thanks to a few dirtbags that were not fit enough to carry my jock, now pulling the wool over the VA's eyes you have to suffer for it.
I can see why the army has a strict policy for pemcs but I don't understand why things done on the level have to be scrutinized so harshly. It took me quite a bit of effort to give the army what it wanted and what I needed. I've been pretty patient up until this point but I'm sure that hurry up and wait isn't a part of the Army core values. (even if you do a LOT of it)

Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Private

I'm in the reserves I' g2g to fort knox for bct in august.