armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt Medic TXARNG View Post
Actually, I had the DA/SA version of the USP in .45 ACP with deco_cker and safety - although as you note, it can also be had in numerous variants, such as:

Variants 1 and 2 (double action/single action, deco_cking and safety lever)(Left and right Hand version)
Variants 3 and 4 (double action/single action, deco_cking lever, but no safety)(Left and right Hand version)
Variants 5 and 6 (double action only, with safety lever)(Left and right Hand version)
Variants 7 and 8 (double action only, no control lever)(Left and right Hand version)
Variants 9 and 10 (double action/single action, safety lever, but no deco_cking)(Left and right Hand version)
LEM (Law Enforcement Modification) Trigger (Modified Variant 7, with a reduced trigger pull, a stronger hammer spring, and a shortened reset)

For more info see [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_USP[/url] and at [url]http://www.hk-usa.com/usp_general.html[/url]

I used to be fairly well prejudiced against DAO auto pistols - they generally have horrible triggers - until I fired Para-Ordnance's LDA (Light Double Action) version of the 1911A1 - and now that's on my short list of wants.
Para Ordnance makes a fine piece, but in my opinion, the 1911's trigger is one of the best in the world, so I'm a bit biased against changing something.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Corporal

Actually, I'm very much in favor of the 1911 - but I also have to face the reality that carrying a single action pistol in Condition Two - i.e. 'coc_ked and locked' - isn't ever going to be standard US military or Law Enforcement policy again. And the LDA has just enough going for it when carrying concealed to be on my very short list of pistols to acquire soon - but then, so is Para's Warthog, which is single action only. And I'd consider selling a body part for a pait of STI's domestic pistols - but expensive as they are, a body part probably wouldn't be enough!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Colonel

Wilson Combat and Kimber make the best 1911s. I'm hoping my parents pick up the Covert II in .45 ACP for my Boot Graduation.

Now is there any way whatsoever to carry your own piece on deployment? I think I remember reading that if your company armorer puts it on his dossier, you can take it.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Corporal

With the notable exceptions of General Officers and Special Operations Forces, posession and use of a privately owned firearm in combat is a Court-Martial offense, and is punished harshly. There are a number of reasons for this, dating back to the ratification of the Hague Conventions (Usually referred to as The Geneva Conventions) immediately following WW1.

So Special Operations forces, depending on the mission, may be issued jacketed hollow point (JHP) rounds, but Conventional forces must use fully jacketed ammunition (FMJ). Ditto with MP units and shotguns - although the shotgun has become accepted as a legitimate weapon in the last 40 years.

Sorry, my young friend - unless you try out for Recon or SF, looks like you're stuck with the M16/M4 family of service rifles, and the M9/M9A1 pistol. Still, both will do the job, and quite well, the majority of the time.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Staff Sergeant

i dont care about the hollow point aspect as much as reliability i just dislike the m9 or glocks for any matter i really dont know why i just dont like the fact that everyone claims theyre the best most well known guns can compete for reliability as far as handguns go but not with accuracy when large numbers of rounds are fired thru them

Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Colonel

I don't think the complaint about the M9 is about the design. From people I know who own a 92, the responses were overall positive.

Did the DOD do something with the action that gives it the unfavorable views that I have heard from Military members who carried the piece?

Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Brigadier General

hmh... sometimes I feel that we should just have kept doing the damn things
our selves. but it was practicly impossible surroundings for such industry back
in those days.
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_pistol"]Aimo Lahti made some good ones...[/URL]

should Finland have able to continue producing arms.. i would dare say that we would
have created quite nice rivalry for HK or any other arms manufacturer in small arms
manufacturing..

well we kinda did hehe... Valmet's are not that bad and Sako's (especially TRG's)
are definetly not.

but the pistol and smg stuff was just left behind and buried.