armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 10-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Private

Default Soldierly advice requested.

I was never very good at conventional schooling, maybe it's that I felt I never got anything out of it. Lately I've been thinking of joining the Army with the hopes of someday becoming a Ranger. My family and GF don't support me at all, I don't know what to do. Infantry or airborne would probably be my strong suit. Are there any Army men out there that had this same problem before they joined, and how hard is Army life on your significant other?

Last edited by Omegaboy13; 10-07-2004 at 10:33 PM..

Old 10-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Private

Every time I go to tell my mom I just sit there, and can't think of how to say it. I'm afraid she won't like the fact that I want to serve.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Recruit

Hey man, I actually haven't joined yet, but I am going through the same situation, I do not have very many people who support me in joining the Army. Even my father, who is currently a commissioned officer in the reserves, talked me out of joining once already, but now I have made the commitment to join, and I feel good about it.
I would like to go to Ranger school and Airborne as well! My advice, Do It! You won't regret it! If a significant other is holding you back then thats a problem, you should still join, this is for YOU man, don't let your life follow what somebody else wants, YOU decide what you want, and don't let someone talk you out of it!

Dave
[email]dsdeavila@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 10-13-2004, 11:03 PM
Private

I just saw ferinhiet 9/11 and it didnt help my decision but im still going to do it.

Old 10-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Private

Do it. However, make sure you're a glutton for pain. You have to be extremely fit to do airborne, let alone rangers. Make sure you can run long distances with loads, walk long distances briskly with heavy loads (>100lbs) and do tonnes of pushups, sit ups, hell, just make sure your really really fit before going. Or at least get fit before joining up where they will get you up there. And don't have any conditions where you won't cope with high stress/pressure/physical situations.
Basic training is a pain in the arse but worth it, entry to special forces is probably the most painful period you'll go through in life, but once your in and over your SF training you will have the time of your life. SF is the best branch of the army to be in. Nothing comes close to it.

Unfortunately due to the nature of special forces, your missus will find it pretty hard, as you can end up on the other side of the world for months at a time with less than 24hrs notice to leave, and she'll have to accept that and cope with it.

Old 10-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Private

Yeah man over the last week or so Ive lost 4-5 pounds, and I went from 20 pushups to like 35 Im pushing myself thae way the army will when im in training so that im ready. Thanks for the advice. 24 hours pfffst make it twelve and follow me.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:09 AM
First Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Firefox
Default Omegaboy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaboy13
I was never very good at conventional schooling, maybe it's that I felt I never got anything out of it. Lately I've been thinking of joining the Army with the hopes of someday becoming a Ranger. My family and GF don't support me at all, I don't know what to do. Infantry or airborne would probably be my strong suit. Are there any Army men out there that had this same problem before they joined, and how hard is Army life on your significant other?
My Post might be late but what i can tell you is.. follow your dream do what you feel is right..
Dont let anyone put you down or keep you from doing what you really want to do..

I never had that problem my familly since we know we have been soldiers in 1st and 2nd world war my father was in NAM and i have been over seas as well. my mother hated the idea of me going into harms way !! But ! they will soon come to realise this is what you want this is what makes you happy , even tho trust me i know its hard to tell your mom somthing they will see.. Do it never hold back

And about your GF Boy let me tell you.. NEVER hold back because somone you are with tells you.. if you are married fine thats diff. If you do now one day when you are no longer together you will hate urself.. love and friendship should be no matter what you do you will support them .. if that is what makes you happy.. My wife dosent like the idea i go over seas evertime i get the chance to. but she knows that makes me happy..

I am an Army Ranger Joint Task Force 2 Im gone alot.
Omegaboy think of what you want to do and explain to your familly this is what you want. and ask them to support you.

Wish you good luck.. Go Ariborn its a rush !!

Old 01-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Private First Class

Send a message via AIM to Empire of Svalbard

I was only airborne in the military once, and it was great.

Any way, are your family not liking America or George Bush or do they just not want you to go overseas for extendeod periods of time?

Old 01-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Recruit

The smart choice is this, go through some college first... get enough college hours and join as an officer instead of a enlited soldier. You make twice the money. And if you are not sure if you wnat to join, do the reserves first, you work I weekend a month two weeks a year... that will give you a little taste. But that is just how i feel

Old 03-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Private First Class

I think that if you feel its right for you then you should do it. Your the one who has to go through and live with the decision. Your parents have lived their life already, and it will be very hard for you g/f. i know this because my fiance now is in the marines, and was when I meet him. It was hard when he deploys, and trying to understand the training. Its like he had some totally different life then what I could understand. And ince you go to basic you and her will have both changed, maybe in a good way, or bad. but I think the time to tell would be ater basic see if shes still by your side. And your family will support you once you show them how serious about it, and how much you want it.