armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 08-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Recruit

Default Hey all thinking about joining the army =)

My parents are wealthy millionaires and don't want me to join my dad is vice pres of abbott labs attorney

My grandfather on my moms side joined the navy in ww2

I always had some thoguhts of joining a military force since I was young

I dunno what to do im 22 I quit my jobs out of boredom that my dad gets me and I don't even need the money I dropped out of school several diff colleges

I really need some motivation in my life I have had a free ride my whole life and im underweight an skinny I want to be strong

juist once i wish i had leadership and ability to do things for myself can the army help me?

I don't want to be hardcore marine or seal but I don't wanna be a wussy airforce or navy I think army is what I want like basic infantry or grunt cuz someones got to do it

Last edited by Garrett22; 08-29-2005 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Recruit

Default ADVICE>>>

Let me give you some advice,

don't join the military. If you haven't had the desire to do so then you don't have what it takes to be a soldier or marine or any other defender of our country. Please don't be offended but realize that if your heart is not in it, then you will hate the military. Go work for your daddy and make millions because military life is hard. In the end, ask yourself if you are willing to lay your life on the line for your nation and fellow mates. Don't just join the military because your bored....

Old 08-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Private

Default go for it !!!

Go, man! Go !!!

Old 08-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Private

Default Just do it.

Garret. I say do it. Check it out until you find where you belong / fit in, but DO IT!!! ( ever consider ROTC???)

Old 08-31-2005, 04:37 AM
Recruit

HEY beaker yes I really wanna do reserves I think instead of ARMY cuz the reserves I dunno if I can handle tons of action like full time army in iraq reserve might be easier for starting me up an getting me ready

Beaker I hate to admit but I am a little scared that I might have to look for land mines an stuff I really just don't want to walk into a bomb or something that the only thing that scares me

Does the army make people scout for bombs or do they have machines an vehicles that can look for IED's?

Also I was on medication for anxeity/depression but Im not on it any longer and haven't taken in for years

WILL the army be able to find out that i have taken this medicine or can I just lie and say I never did and it wont be in my system when they test?

Old 08-31-2005, 07:17 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett22
HEY beaker yes I really wanna do reserves I think instead of ARMY cuz the reserves I dunno if I can handle tons of action like full time army in iraq reserve might be easier for starting me up an getting me ready

Beaker I hate to admit but I am a little scared that I might have to look for land mines an stuff I really just don't want to walk into a bomb or something that the only thing that scares me

Does the army make people scout for bombs or do they have machines an vehicles that can look for IED's?

Also I was on medication for anxeity/depression but Im not on it any longer and haven't taken in for years

WILL the army be able to find out that i have taken this medicine or can I just lie and say I never did and it wont be in my system when they test?
Dont think you should lie man they may check your med records. If they do you will be suceptable to court marshal for witholding information from them.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Recruit

Default Dude from what it looks like

From what it sounds like you really dont want to join the military if you really want to join you can do it there are ways that you can still get in just ask a local army recruiter but if your that scared to join then it may not be for you. Yeah its scary but you also have to think the army is not just going to put you out there with out any training you will be come a soldier proficient in the ways of a warrior. you will become an ARMY of one. Its pride, its about the love that you have for your country, and its also about pay back to the air heads that did 9/11.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Coran

Default I have a question for a soldier

What Requirments do you have to meet to join the Army?

Old 09-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to SoldierofAmerica

First of all you have to get an ASVAB score of at least something like 32, you cannot have too extensive of a criminal history, you have to have a high school diploma or GED. You cannot have any tattoos that will show in your class A Uniform or anything lude or offensive anywhere. You then go to MEPS and take an eight hour physical that tests everything from hearing and vision to back and shoulders. They also do blood tests and drug tests. Also medical history or medical problems such as asthma or allergies can keep you from the Army.

Physical requirements are actually not very strict, in order to go into BCT you only have to be able to do a few pushups and sit-ups and run a mile in under 8 1/2 min. However if you only do the minimum you are going to go through HELL in BCT.

If you do not meet all requirements you can file for a waiver which will sometimes grant exceptions to these guidelines.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:01 PM
First Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to Chickenhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Chickenhawk

Thanks, guys, for giving Garrett22 some good info.

Garrett22, I would encourage you to join. You're looking to do something with your life, and this certainly is one good option. However, if you're looking for a steady job, I wouldn't advise you to go Reserves or National Guard. Once you're through with Basic Training and AIT, you'll be serving one weekend a month and two weeks a year. Not what you want if you want to work.

You wouldn't characterize the Navy or Air Force as wussies if you knew more about them. Pretty insulting, don't you think? Yeah, they aren't like the Infantry. But where would the rest of us be without them? Don't forget that the SEALS you mentioned are Navy personnel.
And the Air Force? They have a Special Operations group, also. I know where you are coming from, but it was a poor choice of words.