armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 08-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Private

Default HeLp

Ive always wanted to join the navy seals but i have heard it would be better to join the army rangers?? any help?

Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to SoldierofAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph
Ive always wanted to join the navy seals but i have heard it would be better to join the army rangers?? any help?
Depends on how much action you want to see. Rangers spend more time deployed and are more likely to go into active, hostile territory. I am a major Army supporter so I would say Rangers but know that they are not official SF, they are just elitists.

Some differences, say the government wants somebody dead , they send in seals, covertly to execute. Say they want a warlord arrested, who is in a heavily guarded compound, they send in Rangers, who storm the place, with air support and ground support around the vicinity to prevent any escapes, they squelch all resistance and apprehend their target or targets.

Seals would sneak up on enemy positions through the river or ocean, while rangers will rappel the cliff or jump from a chopper.

Either way you choose, you get top notch training (American standards) and the pay and benefits are pretty damn good.

If you were to go Ranger, and were unique and skilled enough, you may have the opportunity to become Delta force which is the best of American SF.

Well I hope that this helps in some way.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Sergeant

An important thing to remember is that you are not guaranteed either. You must get into the military and prove yourself to even be considered for such and assignment. Then, just being accepted into the school does not mean you will make it through. Both are rigorous and many do not make it.
Decide on what branch best suits your needs. The Army will under most circumstances allow you to enlist for a certain Military Occupational Specialty (MOS). To my most recent knowledge, the Navy was less apt to grant you your job of choice. I would suggest picking an MOS you would be happy doing for the term of your enlistment with or without Ranger School.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Private

Default They are two different things

Talk to recruiters of both services. The Navy used to require that you complete an enlistment before even being qualified to apply to be considered for the SEALs selection process and training. The Army used to require the same thing for Special Forces/ Green Berets ( during the 80s), but changed that policy in the 90s for qualifying individuals. You may be able to get Special Forces training in your initial contract. This is true also of Ranger School. Ranger assignments are another story. That is determined after you have passed Basic, AIT, Airborne, and Ranger school. If you can get guaranteed an assignment to a Ranger Regiment before you actually go on active duty, you have the physique of a professional or college football player and the mind of a graduate student. ( slight exageration on the intellectual part). There probably are alot more Ranger and Special Forces slots than there are Navy SEALS slots. If you don't already know about the various forms of Special Operations, you may want to find out more. They are all very different.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Private

Default and another thing ...

ignore all the stats and etc. If you decide to do ANYTHING in the military, your odds are at least 50 / 50 of making it. Things CAN go wrong. But self determination is the primary factor. If you decide that you want to be a Navy SEAL, that, in and of itself can go along way. BUT, the GoVernment may always have other plans for you. Try to be flexible. Ultimately, the decisions are always left up to someone else. Only you can decide to be the best that YOU can be. We need about 150 people in the rear for EVERY combat arms grunt (infantry, armor, artillery, ranger, green beret, SEAL, ....). And we only NEED a handful of Navy SEALs. If you simply want to be the best at what you do, then make THAT your major motivation. If you hang everything on achieving a particular personal goal, you defeat the purpose of the Military. If you enlist, do it for selfless reasons. You will enjoy it much more that way.