armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Private

Default Question about Airborne School

So, got back from MEPS today, and signed up for 11X. I don't ship out until the end of October and I'm wondering if it's possible to get Airborne School added to my contract when I go back to MEPS? Assuming some slots are opened up in the fall/beginning of the new year. Or failing that, how difficult is it to get Airborne school after you're all ready in/have completed Infantry training?

I realise I probably should have asked them at MEPS, but my input during the process was fairly minimal. When I got in this morning they told me 89D was the only thing open to prior service. After I finished medical I went to the liaison and did some security clearance paperwork and went to lunch.

When I got back they told me they'd gotten the call that 89D was closed, and 11X was the only thing open for me. Printed my contract, had me sign, and said I was done for the day.

Also, are 3 year enlistment contracts common in the Army? That's what they gave me, I don't mind as I plan to reenlist regardless, but I thought it was a bit odd.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 PM
First Sergeant

Talk to your recruiter, but I think you still have time to change your contract. If not, you can usually get into airborne after BCT so long as you meet the PT requirements. Again, don't take my word for it, but definately talk to your recruiter. Or MSG will be on here soon and give you a better answer. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Brigadier General

You need to have Option 4 added to your contract for Airborne School after Infantry OSUT. If your Recruiter is unwilling to do that for you there's still a chance that SGT Airborne will come to Infantry OSUT looking for volunteers to fill slots in his class. Don't count on that though. Rule of thumb -If it ain't in your contract it probably ain't gonna happen.

There should be no reason in the world that he can't do that for you. Then it's back to MEPS & the counselor changes the contract. There might be a discrepency in shipping date vs 11X graduation vs slots in Airborne School. Classes at Airborne start right after Infantry graduation but those classes also include people that are already in the Army, people who have graduated from other MOS schools & people from other branches of the service.

Your best bet is to get an option 4 in your contract. Start working on that right away. Your Recruiter might get pi$$ed off because he thinks he's all done with you & now he has extra time to put in but don't take no for an answer.

Getting into Airborne School is possible from a leg Army unit but they have to pay for the course & if they have no soldiers on jump status they might feel it's a waste of money. However the Army feels Airborne School another level of training, both leadership & MOS even if you wind up being a "five jump chump". Something like Ranger School for soldiers in non-75th Ranger Regt. units.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.