armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Private

Default Can I Bring My Horse???

My husband just got his first assignment, and we will be moving to Fort Hood in Texas next month. I would love to bring my horse with us. Would the army cover the cost of moving him or would that come out of my own pocket? Also, is anyone familiar with the layout of Fort Hood and whether or not they have horse boarding facilities...or know of a boarding place nearby?

As long as we're on the topic of moving: my husband graduates in a week and will go directly to Fort Hood to sign in and put our name on the housing list. How soon after HIS arrival there should I be prepared to join him? That is to say, if there's a wait for housing, should I expect to stay put here in California or will the army put us up in a hotel, making it possible for me to join him almost immediately? I've never done this before, so I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants! Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:34 PM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to kmullins

you can go to armyonestop.com and find out info on the base you are going to. there will probably be a waiting list for houseing. sometimes that is on that website aswell. dont know about horses, you may be able to call the base adn get some more info on that.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLucasCosta View Post
My husband just got his first assignment, and we will be moving to Fort Hood in Texas next month. I would love to bring my horse with us. Would the army cover the cost of moving him or would that come out of my own pocket? Also, is anyone familiar with the layout of Fort Hood and whether or not they have horse boarding facilities...or know of a boarding place nearby?

As long as we're on the topic of moving: my husband graduates in a week and will go directly to Fort Hood to sign in and put our name on the housing list. How soon after HIS arrival there should I be prepared to join him? That is to say, if there's a wait for housing, should I expect to stay put here in California or will the army put us up in a hotel, making it possible for me to join him almost immediately? I've never done this before, so I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants! Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!
No, the Army will not cover the cost of moving your horse, that will be at your own expense. Fort Hood does have boarding facilities but there is typically a long waiting list to board there and from what I've heard the boarding area isn't that great. There are boarding facilities in the surrounding communities like Lampasas, Copperas Cove and Gatesville.

You should call the housing office and find out what the wait list is like. It varies according to rank and number of dependents. The Army will pay for 10 days of temporary lodging in a hotel and anything after that is at your own expense. However, in saying that, the Army pays you a dislocation allowance for that purpose. That dislocation allowance is 1 and a half your base pay and that is to help with expenses such as an extended hotel stay. If the wait is a few months long (I have a friend who is moving here next week and she has been told her wait is 5 months), you can find an apartment that rents month to month if need be.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default A Horse??

UUUUUHHHHHHhhhh NNNNNNOOOOO!!!!