armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Private

Default Infantry as an MOS?

I was wondering if you get through MEPS with average everything nothing irregular and your finally going to pick your MOS, can they tell you that you can't go to infantry/11B? And is this a lower option that anyone can pick that gets through MEPS? I'm not interested in almost anything but infantry, because i want to fight and do a little more for my country then sit around here and not do anything.

SO BASICALLY... If you get through MEPS, can you choose infantry/11B under any circumstance, disregarding availability?

I'm just worried that I will get through everything and I'll finally be able to choose what job I want and then it not be available for me...Then i basically won't have another option that I'm interested in.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Private

Well no matter what you can not pick 11b right off the bat, you will choose 11x then based on the needs of the Army at that point you will either be trained as 11b/c you do get to put down what you prefer. But that is just what you prefer. And as far as not being able too, you can always pick it you will just have to wait a long long time to get to go to boot camp.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Private

Ok, so let's say i sign up for 11X.

Can i choose if i w ant to go to 11B or 11C? Because to be honest, I really don't want 11C. Haha. They seem completely different.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Brigadier General

You might be denied an 11X contract because no slots are availble. This time of the year with everyone graduating those slots fill fast. Five years ago my son tried enlisting in August for 11X/Option 40 but had to wait until January to get an opening in Infantry OSUT. It wasn't only available but it became a bonus MOS.

Don't fret too much between 11B & 11C. The Army needs a lot more Bravoes the Charlies. I've never known them to force someone into mortars. There's really nothing wrong with that MOS, though. Mortarmen like their job. They claim that they're regular Infantrymen with advanced training.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Private

So let's say i go to sign up in December/January with the Delayed Entry Program. (in the 2010/2011 school year hopefully when the economy is a little better) Could i ship out in June or July? And would infantry be available?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Brigadier General

If Infantry is available at the time you sign your contract a reservation is made for you at OSUT. Same goes for Airborne School after Infantry School. If there are bonuses availbale when you sign but not when you leave they'll still be in effect. That's another thing the recent graduates are competing against for slots - those that enlisted before school was out & went into the DEP. Their contracts are already fixed & reservations made.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.