armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 05-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Private

Default preparing physically for basic training

I'm planning on joining the Army after I'm done with high school(currently finishing my junior year) and I want to prepare physically for basic training. If any one has any good tips or anything please share them. I'll try to read and reply as soon as i can. thanks

Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Corporal

Push-ups, Sit-ups and running. Focus on those 3 things, but also focus on being in good shape in general. The better shape you're in when you get there will make it all the more easier on you. Check out these links, it's the Army physical fitness requirements. And good luck!!

[url]http://www.army.com/enlist/push-ups.html[/url]
[url]http://www.army.com/enlist/sit-ups.html[/url]
[url]http://www.army.com/enlist/2-mile-run.html[/url]

Old 05-13-2009, 10:22 AM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynate2022 View Post
Push-ups, Sit-ups and running. Focus on those 3 things, but also focus on being in good shape in general. The better shape you're in when you get there will make it all the more easier on you. Check out these links, it's the Army physical fitness requirements. And good luck!!

[url]http://www.army.com/enlist/push-ups.html[/url]
[url]http://www.army.com/enlist/sit-ups.html[/url]
[url]http://www.army.com/enlist/2-mile-run.html[/url]
What they said. I don't know if you're big on martial arts, but on top of doing push-ups, sit-ups, and running I've also been doing Ju Jitsu every Saturday. Good thing about martial arts is that it will prepare you both mentally and physically. Drilling is drilling, and you do a lot of it while training.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Private

thanks for the links. ill check them out. and i actually used to be in tae kwon do so hopefully it'll help. besides running, push-ups and sit ups is there anything else i might want to be doing? i really want be ready for this

Old 05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSteve View Post
thanks for the links. ill check them out. and i actually used to be in tae kwon do so hopefully it'll help. besides running, push-ups and sit ups is there anything else i might want to be doing? i really want be ready for this
It never hurts to prepare yourself mentally. Your drill sergeants are gonna mess with your head, and if you can go in ready to face their verbal @$$ kicking, you will be further along then most other recruits.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Private

yeah, im goin to try to prepare myself for that. although when i was in tae kwon do as a kid my master used to scream at me for the littlest things and i never took it to well so hopefully ill come prepared mentally too.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 AM
First Sergeant

Quote:
yeah, im goin to try to prepare myself for that. although when i was in tae kwon do as a kid my master used to scream at me for the littlest things and i never took it to well so hopefully ill come prepared mentally too.
I've mentioned in similar threads like this, that if you take up or have done martial arts, it will help to prepare you for the challenges that you will face in BCT. Your sensei yelling in your face should help you to deal with DSs. Although it might not be quite as intense, it's still a good foundation.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
I'm planning on joining the Army after I'm done with high school(currently finishing my junior year) and I want to prepare physically for basic training. If any one has any good tips or anything please share them. I'll try to read and reply as soon as i can. thanks
Simple training regimen - run 2 miles every other day, throw a 5 miler in once every week or two, do push-ups alternating with sit-ups every time a commercial comes on TV.

Why are you going to wait until you graduate before you enlist? My suggestion is to see a Recruiter this fall or winter when they're not so busy, enlist in the delayed Entry Program, go into the Future Soldier Program to be able to enter the Army one rank higher. You have up to 365 days between signing your contract & leaving for BCT. Your BCT & AIT are reserved for you as well as any bonuses that might be in effect at signing.

Sign early to beat the rush at graduation time. There are many more options available to you then. More choices in MOSs, & more than likely more & bigger bonuses.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Simple training regimen - run 2 miles every other day, throw a 5 miler in once every week or two, do push-ups alternating with sit-ups every time a commercial comes on TV.

Why are you going to wait until you graduate before you enlist? My suggestion is to see a Recruiter this fall or winter when they're not so busy, enlist in the delayed Entry Program, go into the Future Soldier Program to be able to enter the Army one rank higher. You have up to 365 days between signing your contract & leaving for BCT. Your BCT & AIT are reserved for you as well as any bonuses that might be in effect at signing.

Sign early to beat the rush at graduation time. There are many more options available to you then. More choices in MOSs, & more than likely more & bigger bonuses.
enlisting earlier is a good idea but i recently had surgery and its screwing everything up for me. so i just want my final year of high school for me to prepare physically.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:24 AM
Brigadier General

Take my advice & don't enlist close to graduation time. It's hard getting the MOS you want if it's a popular one, bonuses are reduced or dropped altogether, enlistment incentives like Airborne & Ranger are usually not available. Wait until the fall or winter after you graduate to enlist.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.