armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Armies of the World
User Name
Password

Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 AM
Private

Default Green Berets vs Russian Spetsnaz

Watched this tv show on Spike called the Deadliest Warrior and it was comparing the Green Berets to the Russian Spetsnaz to see who was the deadlier soldier. There were too retired Spetsnaz soldiers and two retired Green Berets. They compared the grenades, sniper rifles, shotguns, cqb weapon, pistol and assault weapon. The M67 won over the Spetsnaz's grenade, can't remember specifically what it's called, the M24 won over the Draganov, the Makarov won over the Beretta M9, the Spetsnaz shotgun won over the Mossberg and the Spetsnaz's ballistic knife won over the E-tool of the Green Berets. In the end they calculated all the data and had a simulation fight with the Spetsnaz winning. Obviously, you never know what would happen if these two met in real life in a real fight but it was entertaining nonetheless.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Marine View Post
Watched this tv show on Spike called the Deadliest Warrior and it was comparing the Green Berets to the Russian Spetsnaz to see who was the deadlier soldier. There were too retired Spetsnaz soldiers and two retired Green Berets. They compared the grenades, sniper rifles, shotguns, cqb weapon, pistol and assault weapon. The M67 won over the Spetsnaz's grenade, can't remember specifically what it's called, the M24 won over the Draganov, the Makarov won over the Beretta M9, the Spetsnaz shotgun won over the Mossberg and the Spetsnaz's ballistic knife won over the E-tool of the Green Berets. In the end they calculated all the data and had a simulation fight with the Spetsnaz winning. Obviously, you never know what would happen if these two met in real life in a real fight but it was entertaining nonetheless.
I don't take that much stock in a "those vs them" reality shows. I think the individual is more important than the equipment. Any fighting weapon can kill you dead regardless how crude it is. It's a toss up if I'd want to be killed by a fighting knife or an e-tool. I'm really not going to be too interested in the rating of a particular weapon, either. Who rated them? Were they rated by "experts" TV producers or guys who actually use them? I can't see a US Special Forces soldier having a whole lot of experience with a Spetnaz shotgun over a Mossberg to be able to compare the two.

I get a kick out of them comparing different fighting methods to see which will prevail. There is no way of telling the experience level or expertise of the individual.

Still fun to watch & interesting, though.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 AM
First Lieutenant

Sounds like an interesting show but I'd have to agree with MSG. When it comes to combat I would think the men make the difference. Isn't there a saying, something to the effect of, "The soldier is the weapon, his guns are his tools"? I mean give me a laser sighted M4 with night vision goggles and send me out against a Green Beret at night armed with only a pocket knife....I've got a feeling I'd be bleeding from the throat at the end.
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu

Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via AIM to PaganAngel Send a message via MSN to PaganAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
Sounds like an interesting show but I'd have to agree with MSG. When it comes to combat I would think the men make the difference. Isn't there a saying, something to the effect of, "The soldier is the weapon, his guns are his tools"? I mean give me a laser sighted M4 with night vision goggles and send me out against a Green Beret at night armed with only a pocket knife....I've got a feeling I'd be bleeding from the throat at the end.
the gun are his skills would make more sense... but i wouldnt know, i never heard this saying before

Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Brigadier General

Green Berets vs Russian Spetsnaz....it depends on who you ask.lets compare nuts

Look at the Operations(ones we know about)...who would I rather have in the area of combat operations?...give me the yanks every witch way....any day of the year
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-16-2009, 02:57 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Green Berets vs Russian Spetsnaz....it depends on who you ask.lets compare nuts

Look at the Operations(ones we know about)...who would I rather have in the area of combat operations?...give me the yanks every witch way....any day of the year
Me too jrj, I dont doubt the Ruskies have skills, but I sure wouldnt trust them.. I would have SOCOM covering my *** anyday!!... not that going to the pub on a Saturday night requires such protection!!... Well, depends if the hillbillies made it down to the bars or not!!!!...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 05-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Me too jrj, I dont doubt the Ruskies have skills, but I sure wouldnt trust them.. I would have SOCOM covering my *** anyday!!... not that going to the pub on a Saturday night requires such protection!!... Well, depends if the hillbillies made it down to the bars or not!!!!...
Was it Spetnaz who undertook that school operation and the theatre siege in Russia?

If so....what a pigs ear they made of those?

Depends on where you are drinking Exo....dont worry if I was drinking with you Im sure we would be able to sort the window lickers out when they land
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
Was it Spetnaz who undertook that school operation and the theatre siege in Russia?

If so....what a pigs ear they made of those?

Depends on where you are drinking Exo....dont worry if I was drinking with you Im sure we would be able to sort the window lickers out when they land
Yes, they made a balls of it for sure... very unprofessional planning... but I am sure they have gotten over it.... but to what level for me is unclear...

As for the hillbillies, oh man two of us would be awesome.... I had 3 of them came at me one night, and man, you should have seen them retreat with a stern stare... from then on, I call those 3 "Denise", "Betty" and "Alison".... freakin halarious!!...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"