armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Sdkaren Sdkaren is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 47
Default Fort Riley

My son is graduating ait June 16th and is being stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas. Will his orders say which unit he is being assigned to or will he not find out until he gets there? Woo hoo, from Missouri to Kansas. I told him I was going to get him some really nice red jeweled combat boots...
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 06-07-2008, 07:04 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

His orders will give the unit he'll be assigned to.

Ft' Riley's been known to have a breeze occassionaly. I was there once for about a month doing some training of ROTC cadets between their junior & senior years.

I think I only saw about 7 twisters. Non touched down. We'd wake up in the morning & always asked if we were still in Kansas, Dorothy.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 06-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Sdkaren Sdkaren is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 47
Default

thanks, will that be the orders he gets when he graduates? He saw some info on his erb but it's not very specific as far as a unit. I'm sure you know why I want to know exactly what unit - He's getting his share of tornado activity, he said he was out on his final ftx and the sargeant didn't hear the tornado warning so they didn't go back to base. We got to experience a tornado warning and huge hail when we were back for his grad from basic. Pretty exciting for us Californians!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 06-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Fireball's Avatar
Fireball Fireball is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: where big is best...
Posts: 2,481
Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdkaren View Post
thanks, will that be the orders he gets when he graduates? He saw some info on his erb but it's not very specific as far as a unit. I'm sure you know why I want to know exactly what unit - He's getting his share of tornado activity, he said he was out on his final ftx and the sargeant didn't hear the tornado warning so they didn't go back to base. We got to experience a tornado warning and huge hail when we were back for his grad from basic. Pretty exciting for us Californians!
My hubby didn't find out who he'd be attached to until he was processed in. He said he knew on his orders he'd be in AVN, but he didn't know anything beyond that.

How exciting!
__________________


-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Gunbunny13's Avatar
Gunbunny13 Gunbunny13 is offline
First Sergeant
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 269
Default

My last set of orders said 194th Armored Brigade and that was all. But it wasn't much of stretch to figure out were I would go with my MOS. When he gets to the replacement activity at Riley he'll get a battalion and likely a company assignment. I've been assigned to "A Btry" before while at replacement only to wind up in "C Btry" when I get to the Battalion. Just be flexible, he'll know soon enough.
Riley was boring when I was there last, been since the late 80's. Flat, the wind would kick up like clockwork.
__________________
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
Napoleon Bonaparte
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 06-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Sdkaren Sdkaren is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Thanks for the info, I will be a patient mom and not worry until he knows for sure. One day at a time and only 6 days until he comes home!!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Txmom42 Txmom42 is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: some where between a rock and a hard place.
Posts: 549
Default

That's one of the first lessons I learned being an Army mom was patience. It's a waiting game. My son's unit changed more often than his underwear even after he got deployed. I would just get settled in one frg and find out he wasn't in that unit anymore, he had switched to another one. I think it finally settled down after the third change. Now when he gets home, it will change again. I always write in pencil!!! And, don't count on anything until it happens. 6 days!?! you must be so excited.
__________________
Proud Mom of a Proud Soldier
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Sdkaren Sdkaren is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmom42 View Post
That's one of the first lessons I learned being an Army mom was patience. It's a waiting game. My son's unit changed more often than his underwear even after he got deployed. I would just get settled in one frg and find out he wasn't in that unit anymore, he had switched to another one. I think it finally settled down after the third change. Now when he gets home, it will change again. I always write in pencil!!! And, don't count on anything until it happens. 6 days!?! you must be so excited.
that makes me feel better, i had myself convinced he would deploy right away but I have decided to shelve the worry for when the time comes. If I remember your son was deployed right after graduating? but I saw on your other thread today that he's back in the states, i'm so happy for both of you! I know how excited I am to see my son and he's only been in Missouri! I cant believe they change units even after they deploy. Enjoy your time with your son!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Txmom42 Txmom42 is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: some where between a rock and a hard place.
Posts: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdkaren View Post
that makes me feel better, i had myself convinced he would deploy right away but I have decided to shelve the worry for when the time comes. If I remember your son was deployed right after graduating? but I saw on your other thread today that he's back in the states, i'm so happy for both of you! I know how excited I am to see my son and he's only been in Missouri! I cant believe they change units even after they deploy. Enjoy your time with your son!
Yes, he went fairly quickly after graduation. However, the batallion he was sent to was already 6 months into their tour. So this was a short one, but I am sure there will be many more to come as he plans to make this a career. I am not sure why he changed units after he got there, but it was all within the same batallion so they must have hada greater need in the unit they sent him to.

I absolutely cannot wait to see him. I know he has changed so much. I can count on one hand how many days I have seen him since he left for bct, so I am looking forward to having him around for a few weeks. His sisters and brother can't wait either.
__________________
Proud Mom of a Proud Soldier
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.