armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 AM
First Sergeant

It happens more than you would think. Just not in populated areas. There is a constant show of force with the guns. Admittedly it's more for show than force. All firing battery's are ready to go at an a moments notice. Fire bases are permanently established. (although back in the day an artillery piece in one spot for more than a few hours could be considered permanent)
It's kinda like having fire base in every city. In the interim, there are regular patrols within cities and villages. We have helped with everything from fence disputes to home repairs to making arrests. In a way some of it seems trivial but it goes a long way towards making life for them and ultimately us better. The majority of these people just want to get along and do their thing. it's not unlike here in the states where the minority radicals make the news. What you seldom, if ever, hear about is that it's the extremist, feeble minded, weak, or desperate that carry out most of the attacks. the brains behind them, are cowards.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Brigadier General

My son said their 13F called in arty several times mostly in 'Stan but once in Iraq. Normally it's air. They always had chopper cover less than a minute away. Once in 'Stan the Foxtrot almost called in Naval but a battery was up & ready to respond so he was dissapointed. That would have made his day.

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't mind being a 13F or even an 11C. There's something about controlling indirect fire that appeals to me. My cousin was an FA COL. He tried getting me in his bde but I'd have nothing to do with it. I'd have to call him "sir" & here we were practically brought up together. (Guess who would have been his trusted gopher?) I was happy as a pig in doodoo being a Commo 1SG & an Infantry 1SG even working G-3 as an acting SGM as long as I didn't have to ride a desk all the time. Plenty of opportunities to go in the field to "evaluate training".
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Sergeant

sorry guess i worded that wrong, not that everyone isnt critical.

This brings up another question, i was asked what would happen if i put in for leave a while in advance and got it approved, and then got deployed, would that leave still be honored or would i just be out of luck. She wants to start planning wedding things for down the road, but has more questions than i have answers for, and i hate to go to the recuriter asking questions about how my vacation works this early in the process

Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiles View Post
i hate to go to the recuriter asking questions about how my vacation works this early in the process
You have every right to ask the Recruiter about leave, when you can take it & any other benefit you're entitled to. Don't forget - you're the customer.

How is it going with the recruitment process? Keep me informed, Wiles.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Captain

Quote:
sorry guess i worded that wrong, not that everyone isnt critical.

This brings up another question, i was asked what would happen if i put in for leave a while in advance and got it approved, and then got deployed, would that leave still be honored or would i just be out of luck. She wants to start planning wedding things for down the road, but has more questions than i have answers for, and i hate to go to the recuriter asking questions about how my vacation works this early in the process
Your unit that you are eventually assigned to will know their training schedule. They will know when you submit whether that's a good time or not. They would not let you submit leave around deployment dates. Typically the unit is sent on block leave (a set time when all Soldiers have the opportunity to take leave) a few weeks/months prior to deployment. You will have a tentative timeline for these things.

Your recruiter will be able to assist you with a few general answers but he can't tell you what your unit would allow or not allow.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
You have every right to ask the Recruiter about leave, when you can take it & any other benefit you're entitled to. Don't forget - you're the customer.

How is it going with the recruitment process? Keep me informed, Wiles.
I guess i've been handling this more like a job interviw i have it in my head for someone reason that asking certain question will look bad for me, but i guess it doesnt realy effect me at all. Anyways the process is going good, i go tuesday for my asvabs, i scored a 74 on the practise one at the recruiters which he said was good, but i think i can do better and i want to make sure i score high enough in the MM and GM sections to get the choices i want, so i bought a nice big book and have been keeping busy studying up on that. But i still have to wait till june to sign any contract since im only allowed 365 in the future soilder program and wont be out of school till 06/10.

So if i understood you right Armygirl4Ever , if i go in say 6-8 months ahead of time and request leave, they'll know if ill be able to take it then and if i would be getting deployed then. So if they say im approved im guarenteed that time off unless something happens between then? she's hopping to have the cermony in the spring after i graduate AIT which depending on what i go in for will be 4-6 months after AIT.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
I guess i've been handling this more like a job interviw i have it in my head for someone reason that asking certain question will look bad for me, but i guess it doesnt realy effect me at all. Anyways the process is going good, i go tuesday for my asvabs, i scored a 74 on the practise one at the recruiters which he said was good, but i think i can do better and i want to make sure i score high enough in the MM and GM sections to get the choices i want, so i bought a nice big book and have been keeping busy studying up on that. But i still have to wait till june to sign any contract since im only allowed 365 in the future soilder program and wont be out of school till 06/10.

So if i understood you right Armygirl4Ever , if i go in say 6-8 months ahead of time and request leave, they'll know if ill be able to take it then and if i would be getting deployed then. So if they say im approved im guarenteed that time off unless something happens between then? she's hopping to have the cermony in the spring after i graduate AIT which depending on what i go in for will be 4-6 months after AIT.
Honestly, you're never guaranteed anything in the Army when it comes to leave. Mission will always come first. You have to be flexible and always be prepared for last minute changes. Dates can change so fast it will make your head spin. Be sure to let your fiance know that nothing is set in stone. Plan your date but be aware that things could change. This is where families get frustrated. When you have to make changes, but it's part of Army life.