armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Private

Send a message via Yahoo to venomspit
Default Question about 13 Foxtrot/Fisters

Ok, I seen this MOS on the priority list of the Army. I thought it was interesting.

Could someone explain to me who has experience with what this job is about?

I understand you mobilize with the infantry. But is it necessary to in today's conflict? I am curious as to how they would use this Soldier in the field in Iraq or Afghanistan. Because there is no front line, only search and destroy when intelligence is available. I can only invision a FO lazing a building at most.

I also wondered what kind of work this kind of soldier would do when it wasn't war time or not deployed. Does anyone know what work I would do if I was not deployed?

I still want MP, but I am looking around with my curious eyes. who knows I may see something I can't live without. I am definitely in no hurry.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
I understand you mobilize with the infantry. But is it necessary to in today's conflict? I am curious as to how they would use this Soldier in the field in Iraq or Afghanistan. Because there is no front line, only search and destroy when intelligence is available. I can only invision a FO lazing a building at most.
Not all 13F are with infantry. Depends on who you are with. There are only a few MOSes in the Army where you are guaranteed to be doing the job you actually signed up for.

Yes, it is a necessary job.

Don't invision, because we drop ordnance all of the time in Iraq and esp. Afghanistan. I keep my CCT / JTAC busy, though they have more qualifications and can do more than a
13F, same principle.

But what you'd actually be doing will depend on your unit and command. Some 13Fs, like a lot of Army MOSes, aren't doing their jobs, they are sitting at computers staring at excel spreadsheets all day, some infantry PLs don't use them for anything but RTO or driver, Arty is a different world as well. Most 13Fs I know are happy with their job.

Last edited by Tacky; 03-18-2008 at 05:40 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Sergeant First Class

where can i find the priority list i have been looking for that for awhile now wanting to see if 19k is one when i go to meps i dont want to wait hopefully i want to pick my job and go

Old 03-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty32 View Post
where can i find the priority list i have been looking for that for awhile now wanting to see if 19k is one when i go to meps i dont want to wait hopefully i want to pick my job and go
For anything shipping out in April. I don't see 19K on here. But that doesn't me I have the entire list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacky
Don't invision, because we drop ordnance all of the time in Iraq and esp. Afghanistan. I keep my CCT / JTAC busy, though they have more qualifications and can do more than a 13F, same principle.

But what you'd actually be doing will depend on your unit and command. Some 13Fs, like a lot of Army MOSes, aren't doing their jobs, they are sitting at computers staring at excel spreadsheets all day, some infantry PLs don't use them for anything but RTO or driver, Arty is a different world as well. Most 13Fs I know are happy with their job.
I apologize for my ignorance. What is CCT/JTAC ? And RTO?

Old 03-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Brigadier General

My son has 13Fs in his Ranger Batt. As a matter of fact one of them just reclassed to 11B & my son is now training him to be his replacement as a squad leader. His reclass didn't entail him to go to Infantry School as he had gone through Ranger School.

The surest way to go with Infantry as a 13F is to get the 13F/Airborne/Option 40 Ranger contract. 13F OSUT, Airborne School, Ranger Indoctrination (RIP) & when passing all of those you'll be in on of the battalions in the 75th Ranger Regiment & wearing a tan beret.

My son said the Infantry Rangers love their 13Fs.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't advocate ANYONE try for an Opt. 40 contract unless it's something you've wanted for a long time. Something you've been working towards for awhile. It's not something you do on a whim .. you'll fail out of RIP if you do. This is why you'll never see me plug for the 75th or SF on this site. Those that want it already know about it.

As for JTAC and CCT, they are Air Force jobs - Joint Terminal Air Controller and Combat Controll Team. JTACs call in CAS for us .. CCTs call in CAS for us as well as direct air traffic over a cluttered battlefield. All CCT are SOF .. some JTACs are SOF.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Brigadier General

You're right Tacky. That's only for those that have a fairly long DEP or who have prepared themselves to excell in PT like those who still do athletics & extra PT on their own. My son was one of those who didn't know he was going to RIP until half way through Infantry School. He was a PT fiend though & had really over- prepared himself for OSUT & at the same time was in a wrestling & Judo club & was a Nautilus Fitness Center trainer. His buddy who went to RIP with him was not in great shape but when he found out RIP was but a short while away really put his nose to the grindstone & with my son really pushing him he went through RIP with no problems. He was a natural athlete, naturally strong & fast so that made a whole difference in his case. They stayed together throughout their whole military carreer, same company same Ranger School class & all the other schools they had attended. He's ever grateful for his being pushed to go the extra mile while in OSUT.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
First Sergeant

To answer the OP, a 13F can ride with Infantry, Scouts and of course Artillery. As a 13 series I have done the F.I.S.T. thing. It's a good job. Most FISTer's are mechanized and they are found in the Artillery and Cav units. It is a unique MOS, one of only two that are taught to call a fire mission in AIT, 19D being the other.
Don't underestimate a 13F downrange (in Iraq), gun batteries and mortar platoons are laid and ready to fire.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Private

Well I am back now. I was released from the Army 2 days before my Graduation date! Due to have too much Osteoarthritis in my left shoulder!!! And all I did was go to Sick call to get IBProfin to ease my pain. And the Corporal decided it was best for the Sgt. to look into my shoulder deeper and so the story continues. The Major said that I would not be able to train any longer. I was like... let be get past Basic and we can go from there sir. But he said after basic I would be in a world of hurt. then he explained the long term affects I would deal with. So I understood and thought of my kids and family at this time instead of appealing it.

So I was granted some great things though. The Army let me leave with honors and gave me all the credit for passing Basic Training. Which I am proud about cause I am being treated with respect to the point that I did try.

Will you all still be my friends? LOL

Old 12-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty32 View Post
Hehe... If you don't want to go down to MEPS and wait, then you shouldn't join the Army. I was at Denver MEPS on Tuesday to sign my contract. The liaison knew what job I wanted and everything, but I was still there from 5 am to 2:30. Good luck, and bring a book.