armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Private

Send a message via Yahoo to venomspit
Thumbs up Enlisting at Age 33

Hello everyone!

Glad to be here and see all the action on the forums. I am sure I will be using it as to educate myself regarding my future experiences with the Army.

I am gonna marry my high school sweetheart this next week. I have two beautiful children and own our home. I have been stay at home Dad for 4 years running two businesses. I recently shut down one (production company) to focus on another. I have been the type of person who has to seek out extreme excitement. I currently love to snowboard and Paraglide. I once commercial fished in AK, fought wild land fires and now look forward to being in the Army.

I am currently enlisting Active, 4 years as an MP. I go to MEPS on the 27th of this month and will find out if they will let me enlist. I sure hope so, cause right now is the perfect time in my life to do this. I have always wanted to be a soldier and a LEO. This will allow me to kill two birds with one stone. I waited so long to join so that my life would have a foundation strong enough for my absence if or when I am deployed.

We will see if they let me in first. I am healthy, no physical or mental problems. And a spirit that is passionate about our military. I have been studying Military history (USA) for the past 8 years. Its amazing how many 20 year old or younger don't know there was a Korean war. So I have been using the web to educate and communicate.

I look forward to my next challenges and hope for the best.

Thanks for your time and reading my blurb.

Last edited by venomspit; 03-14-2008 at 12:19 AM..

Old 03-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool Hooah.....

Venom,
You sound like a solid person. I often say, what is it that you have to offer the Army! I always felt it's a great honor being a part of something that's greater then yourself. Being a Dogg ...

In short~ You are so ready...Stable and secure home life with knowledge and the belief of honor...Something greater then ourselves...It sounds like your aces...I wish you well and look forward to serving with you in the years ahead...Hooah. Good luck Venom.

Oh, the only thing missing is Dogg spit. Now that's a name....

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia.
Army Aviation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post

In short~ You are so ready...Stable and secure home life with knowledge and the belief of honor...Something greater then ourselves...It sounds like your aces...I wish you well and look forward to serving with you in the years ahead...Hooah. Good luck Venom.

Oh, the only thing missing is Dogg spit. Now that's a name....
Thank you! Your words are good for my confidence! I feel I can offer quite a lot to the Army. And hope for the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonmom
Best of luck to you!
Thanks, I feel I'm gonna need it. I assume Boot camp will be one of the biggest challenges to go through. But mentally I am ready.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomspit View Post
Hello everyone!

Glad to be here and see all the action on the forums. I am sure I will be using it as to educate myself regarding my future experiences with the Army.

I am gonna marry my high school sweetheart this next week. I have two beautiful children and own our home. I have been stay at home Dad for 4 years running two businesses. I recently shut down one (production company) to focus on another. I have been the type of person who has to seek out extreme excitement. I currently love to snowboard and Paraglide. I once commercial fished in AK, fought wild land fires and now look forward to being in the Army.

I am currently enlisting Active, 4 years as an MP. I go to MEPS on the 27th of this month and will find out if they will let me enlist. I sure hope so, cause right now is the perfect time in my life to do this. I have always wanted to be a soldier and a LEO. This will allow me to kill two birds with one stone. I waited so long to join so that my life would have a foundation strong enough for my absence if or when I am deployed.

We will see if they let me in first. I am healthy, no physical or mental problems. And a spirit that is passionate about our military. I have been studying Military history (USA) for the past 8 years. Its amazing how many 20 year old or younger don't know there was a Korean war. So I have been using the web to educate and communicate.

I look forward to my next challenges and hope for the best.

Thanks for your time and reading my blurb.

Hi Venom, welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy our crazy debates, and hope to see your contris soon... lol...

Prof Nightflyer is correct, good call from the Trainee Nightstalker... You do sound like a solid guy, and a stand up one too!!.. Good for you bro, and welcome to the military family!!...

Best Regards
Exo..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Brigadier General

Venom,

First off welcome to Army.com. Thanks for your interest in joining the wartime Army. Now you have the task ahead of you preparing yourself for BCT. Make sure you can pass the Army Physical Readiness Test before you ship to basic. Add pull ups to your training regimen. Being in good shape will make it a lot easier.

If you want excitement in the Army why not consider going Infantry, Airborne Infantry,(Option 4 contract) or Ranger (Option 40 contract)? Most of the MPs I know say that their duties are for the most part nothing like civilian LEO. I've also heard that many civilian law enforcement agencies don't really care to hire former MPs due to the fact they have to un-trained first. This is from a close friend of mine in our Judo club who is a Milwaukee police officer & former Infantry & another who was a Marine rifleman. My son is due to get out of the 3rd Ranger Batt. in May & has put feelers out to the Milwaukee PD & they indicated to him that they just love Infantrymen especially Rangers. Three years after he joins the force (or sooner) they want him to apply to the SWAT team.

Just something more for you to consider. Don't sign any contract that isn't exactly what you want. There's also some bonus MOSs that you might consider, usually Infantry is one of them but look into it. The extra money will be nice for your family.

In any event, whatever you decide on (YOUR decision, not the recruiter's) good luck to you.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Venom,

First off welcome to Army.com. Thanks for your interest in joining the wartime Army. Now you have the task ahead of you preparing yourself for BCT. Make sure you can pass the Army Physical Readiness Test before you ship to basic. Add pull ups to your training regimen. Being in good shape will make it a lot easier.

If you want excitement in the Army why not consider going Infantry, Airborne Infantry,(Option 4 contract) or Ranger (Option 40 contract)? Most of the MPs I know say that their duties are for the most part nothing like civilian LEO. I've also heard that many civilian law enforcement agencies don't really care to hire former MPs due to the fact they have to un-trained first. This is from a close friend of mine in our Judo club who is a Milwaukee police officer & former Infantry & another who was a Marine rifleman. My son is due to get out of the 3rd Ranger Batt. in May & has put feelers out to the Milwaukee PD & they indicated to him that they just love Infantrymen especially Rangers. Three years after he joins the force (or sooner) they want him to apply to the SWAT team.

Just something more for you to consider. Don't sign any contract that isn't exactly what you want. There's also some bonus MOSs that you might consider, usually Infantry is one of them but look into it. The extra money will be nice for your family.

In any event, whatever you decide on (YOUR decision, not the recruiter's) good luck to you.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been working on what I want for 2 years now. And have spoken to all branches of Military. I have been working on getting on the local PD for some time now. And After speaking with my long time friend who is currently a Jackson County Sheriff Deputy and Team Instructor of the Swat Team. He confirmed with me that from his experience with the department and others in the area look at a Military MP highly and respectfully. Reasons are due to work experience. He indicated to me they will count from the day I go to boot camp until the day I change jobs or get out as on-the-job experience. And the hiring process will be parallel. Though Infantry is also liked, it lacks the job experience. My starting pay would be a veterans pay instead of entry level.

As for bonus, there is a max bonus (4 yr enlistment) for MP in 31 Bravo that I qualify for ($40,000). Army's quota for MP's have been falling short for a few years now. Due to my high ASVAB scores I also get to pick where to be stationed. Including qualifying for the Army College fund on top of the GI-Bill.

I have always wanted to be a LEO, and a Soldier. So trust me when I say, I am getting exactly what I want and I am confident that I will have no problems what so ever in job acceptance to our local PD's.

Thank you again for your suggestions and advice regarding BMT.

Question: Where can I get an idea of what is needed to be done regarding the Army Physical Readiness Test?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Brigadier General

For the AFPT charts go to :

[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/a/afpt.htm[/url]

Somewhere down that page is a link to the chart for each age group.

As far as Army MPs go there isn't much "policing" as in the past. Most if not all Army posts use Department of Defense police & now the MPs have a wartime mission that doesn't translate too much to civilian life. It's much more combat oriented than in years past. I didn't mean to imply that the MPs are looked down on by LEAs. Any military experience is valuable if not for the discipline alone.

For instance: Female soldiers are not allowed in combat arms. If they want to see actual combat they sign up for the MPs. As a matter of fact a female MP was awarded a Silver Star for combat that she saw while on an MP patrol in Iraq.

Years ago when MPs were the post police department their mission was just about identical to a small (& sometimes not so small) town police department.

If they agency you talked to feels that the experience that MPs get is applicable to their uses then I say good for them. That alone should help make up your mind. And if they give you training credit for your Army experience that puts you that much further ahead.
Retired MSG

Old 03-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Private

Thumbs up

Roger that, I was assuming you were implying that MPs are not exciting and I may be disappointed. But I can still be Airborne And MP is what I want to do. I heard about the young lady who got the silver star. But I did not realize she was an MP. That's interesting.

Thank you for the information! This is exactly why I wanted to get involved here.

After examining the charts. I am confident of passing!

Last edited by venomspit; 03-14-2008 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Brigadier General

I should have explained it better. The 1st female soldier to receive the Silver Star was an MP & that was in '05. I understand that another one was awarded one just recently. MOS unknown on that one.
Retired MSG

Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Private

Ah, I see. Yeah the latest was a Medic. I actually didn't know of the other one.