armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Corporal

To all the people questioning Fort Leonard Wood, which unit are their loved ones at? I was at Charlie 1/48 some time ago. It's a good post. My DS's were fantastic. It's a smaller post, w/ a small sorounding town. Go to Matts Steakhouse (heh, thats my name too). FANTASTIC sitdown steak restaurant.
I'm also an 88m. I was at Bravo 58th Trans at F-LW. AWESOME training. Dont worry about your loved ones MOS. The up-armor we have is fantastic. Our level three and up trucks take IED's like they are merely pot holes. We are not allowed to drive anything not uparmored off of the FOB when deployed

Matt

Old 11-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Recruit

Default Boot @ Wood

Hello All,
I went to Ft.leonardwood for boot and AIT back in 1991. Was in boot for winter and AIT for summer..Wasn't too bad, The town right off base is pretty small, but still offers all the admenities needed (like a break from the base).

When i was in boot for every letter we recieved was an additional 25 pushups after 1. So make sure the people you are writing to don't mind doing LOTS of pushups

After boot AIT is alot like college life (with pushups,3-6mile runs and some yelling still).
There is weekend liberties usually in AIT, which was great. Alot more time to write home to family and friends.

Good luck to all that went to FT.LOSTinTHEWOODS MISERY

Old 11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrmom View Post
Hi all,
my daugther just went to basic in for leonard wood, she was to go to Jackson, but got changed last minuet...any helpful information, tips I should know about fort leonard wood??...I still don't have a return address, she got there 10-10-07. thanks,:

My hubby also did his training at Ft Leonard Wood... I did use the stickers and colord the letters and sent MANY packages (my hubby asked me to do that so that he would know which one was his) and he never had to do anything extra.. Well in the beging (before i used stickers and colors) he had to do push-ups or run but his drill serg. was just being and a** and made everyone do the same for there letters... i say if you want to use the stickers GO FOR it but if your child says that she has to do extra stuff or she gets hell for it then dont do it anymore... Anyways I enjoyed Ft. Leonard Wood... My stay there was only like 3 days but it was nice... that was my first experiance with the MILITARY so i was a lill scared but my hubby did his basic and AIT back to back (his MOS is MP) and he was gone about 6 mounths (give or take a few days) the hotel I stayed in was real nice (make sure you book the hotel WAY in advance) and alot of military families stayed there also so we all got to talk about our family memeber that we where going to get to see the next day it was real nice.. I got to meat alot of new people and it was a SMALL town outside of post (which was nice because I am from a small town so im not TO good on directions)... My hubby didnt have any complaints EXCEPT for the snow.. We are from Texas where it DOSENT snow EVER (i have never in my life seen a foot of snow) and while he was in Leonard Wood (of course it was winter) it snowed a lot and they had to cancle trainig some days but he hated it in the beginig but got used to it before to long!!! And the phone thing yes it is hard because you really DONT know when they are going to call but just make sure you still send letters even if she calls you alot... it always makes them feel good to get mail... In the end i basically sent cards counting down the days and saying i love you and miss you... I still send my hubby letters and packages and we talk everyday on the phone (he is in Germany right now and I am here in Texas waiting to have our baby girl in March) he enjoys getting the small things expecully if he has been out in the field for a week and he can come home to a mail box full of I love you cards and letters!! So good luck and enjoy saying your daughter is serving for our country!!! If you have any questions I am sure someone will answer them for you... A lot of people on here are military spouses and they will help you!!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZARNG View Post
Hello All,
I went to Ft.leonardwood for boot and AIT back in 1991. Was in boot for winter and AIT for summer..Wasn't too bad, The town right off base is pretty small, but still offers all the admenities needed (like a break from the base).

When i was in boot for every letter we recieved was an additional 25 pushups after 1. So make sure the people you are writing to don't mind doing LOTS of pushups

After boot AIT is alot like college life (with pushups,3-6mile runs and some yelling still).
There is weekend liberties usually in AIT, which was great. Alot more time to write home to family and friends.

Good luck to all that went to FT.LOSTinTHEWOODS MISERY
HaHaHaHa... I LOVE your nick anme for Ft. Leonard Wood... my hubby had a few to but so far i think your is the best

Old 11-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Staff Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to Enlowswife

My husband left on 11OCT2007 for basic at leonard wood and yesterday I got to talk to him basically all day because of Thanksgiving. It was a blessing. The first day I got his address I sent him 11 letters at once and he had to do so many push ups but he told me that it was worth it just to hear from me. It was hard on me because every day for 2 years I talked to him and saw him most days. I'm counting down the days until he gets to come home (graduation 18DEC2007). I don't get too many letters from him because he doens't have time to write them, or when he does he forgets to mail them (that's just him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrmom View Post
Hi all,
my daugther just went to basic in for leonard wood, she was to go to Jackson, but got changed last minuet...any helpful information, tips I should know about fort leonard wood??...I still don't have a return address, she got there 10-10-07. thanks,: