armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 05-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Private

Default no GED...Ft Jackson C

im 17 and i have dropped out of high school to help my mom while she had cancer and i dont have a ged and was wonder if the army could help me get a ged....and i live in NC and was wondering about that program at Ft Jackson SC

Old 05-01-2009, 10:36 AM
First Sergeant

Wish I could tell ya what to do. I would start by asking a recruiter in your area. In my opinion, it would probably be better for you to get your GED prior to enlisting. Right now, the Army is tight on jobs, so they might not accept you without one.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Private

ok...and is there a place in the forums about recruiting question...i couldnt find it...

Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 AM
First Sergeant

Post it under "Enlistment Information". MSG Glenn might have some good advice for you.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Private

ok thanks alot Sarge....u been a good help...

Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Corporal

Hey buddy, I was accepted to the prep school at jackson. I believe the qualifications were just that you needed to score above 50 on the ASVAB, and take a small survey type test at meps. Although, when I was granted the opportunity, on APR 8th, i was told that they were closing the program even if you have a GED they might not take you. Best bet, call your recruiter and have him call MEPS and see when they start taking people again.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Private

ok thanks man ill do that and i hope that theyll tek me cause i really wanna join the army....=]

Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Private

Hey Future, from what I've heard it is a bit harder to get in with a GED. But since your still only 17 you've got some time. Go grab a GED at a community college. Most even offer a GED preparation course to help pass the GED. Then talk to your recruiter. If he tells you they are not letting people in with just a GED, go take a few college classes. If you have a GED and I think 15 college credits (don't quote me on that exact credit number, but it should be close) that is about 2-3 quarters worth of classes, depending on how many you take each quarter. You will then be an equivalent of a high school grad in terms of applying for the Army. Make sure you take some algebra classes if you didn't get any in high school. Algebra classes under your belt will help you qualify for more MOS options.
BCT: Ft. Knox, KY. 20090814
AIT: Ft. Gordon, GA. 20091026
Hometown: Seattle, WA

Tags
ft jackson, ged