armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Second Lieutenant

Default Deployment & Communication

If deployed, can one use a wireless card to use the internet (I believe Sprint claims to have worldwide coverage,) or are you limited to the network provided on base?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryShortcake View Post
If deployed, can one use a wireless card to use the internet (I believe Sprint claims to have worldwide coverage,) or are you limited to the network provided on base?
Wow, that is a good question. I have never met anyone using a wireless card. Could be an OPSEC issue I suppose. However internet is available for a fee, naturally.

Last edited by Philzilla; 05-07-2009 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
Wow, that is a good question. I have never met anyone using a wireless card. Could be an OPSEC issue I suppose. However internet is available for a fee, naturally.
Hm. If they weren't allowed, it'd be silly.. I mean, if they still have internet access, that network can be hacked.. It would actually be smarter to use different networks lol... though if everyone used different networks you wouldn't be able to monitor what the soldiers are doing as easily.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Captain

Yes, you are limited to what is provided on each camp. Whether it's an internet cafe set up by the Army or you get it from a local provider there.

Each camp offers different things...the prices vary from area to area and also availability. Some Soldiers have access to internet in their rooms (for a fee) and some only have access to internet cafe's which are limited on time. And there are still some areas that are fairly remote and don't have access at all or is very limited.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
Yes, you are limited to what is provided on each camp. Whether it's an internet cafe set up by the Army or you get it from a local provider there.

Each camp offers different things...the prices vary from area to area and also availability. Some Soldiers have access to internet in their rooms (for a fee) and some only have access to internet cafe's which are limited on time. And there are still some areas that are fairly remote and don't have access at all or is very limited.
It disgusts me that soldiers aren't even guaranteed internet. It's not like we can't get internet everywhere in the world.. we have satellites..
Soldiers shouldn't even have to pay for internet.. psh.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Captain

Most camps provide an internet cafe in the Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) building/tent for free. Soldiers pay for the luxury of having it in their rooms much like they would pay for the luxury back here stateside.

Most families would tell you, it's worth every cent.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryShortcake View Post
Hey Cake, still looking good!! I am glad you and Missinhim have decided to grace us with your lovely presence. Since you guy's have joined the forum JBIZ is working on moving out of his mom's basement and is actually wearing pants now!! To answer your question, when I was in Iraq we only used the cards for phone service. Mostly due to OPSEC (operational security), we were required to only use the phones that the Army provided. I thought that was a load of crap so I bought a cell phone from Iraqna Cellular and bought minutes so I could call home and they could call me whenever I wanted without haveing to wait in line for 3 hours to make a 5 minute phone call. Almost every FOB (forward operating base) has a internet service that is secure and mostly reliable. It is EXTREMELY important that whatever method is used that he remembers that no matter which one....someone is lisetning. OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC!!! Never say or type anything that may put your fellow Soldiers at risk or provide the enemy with propaganda.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Hey Cake, still looking good!! I am glad you and Missinhim have decided to grace us with your lovely presence. Since you guy's have joined the forum JBIZ is working on moving out of his mom's basement and is actually wearing pants now!! To answer your question, when I was in Iraq we only used the cards for phone service. Mostly due to OPSEC (operational security), we were required to only use the phones that the Army provided. I thought that was a load of crap so I bought a cell phone from Iraqna Cellular and bought minutes so I could call home and they could call me whenever I wanted without haveing to wait in line for 3 hours to make a 5 minute phone call. Almost every FOB (forward operating base) has a internet service that is secure and mostly reliable. It is EXTREMELY important that whatever method is used that he remembers that no matter which one....someone is lisetning. OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC!!! Never say or type anything that may put your fellow Soldiers at risk or provide the enemy with propaganda.
Lmao, I don't think Johnny will be out of his mommy's basement any time soon

I didn't know about the cell phones.. that's cool. I can just get international calling on my cell so he wouldn't have to waste his minutes.

If he does get deployed, it'd be nice if he had internet in his room. Webcamming would be awesome.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Hey Cake, still looking good!! I am glad you and Missinhim have decided to grace us with your lovely presence.
Is that a come-on, Doc?

Not you, too!

I knew there'd be trouble as soon as those fine looking young ladies posted their pictures.

I here JBizo has even started wearing shoes & is learning to tie them.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 AM
First Lieutenant

You're all so very nice to notice that I have been tying my pants and wearing shoes! But I refuse to move out of the "basement" as you call it. Although, this 3'x5' room is a little crowded when the "pool boy" has to use my chair....or "crapper" as he refers to it. And even if it doesn't always smell like Citrus air spray when he leaves....its still free. I just wish the lock was on the inside of the door so I could get something to eat.