armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
StrawberryShortcake StrawberryShortcake is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 667
Default Deployment & Communication

If deployed, can one use a wireless card to use the internet (I believe Sprint claims to have worldwide coverage,) or are you limited to the network provided on base?
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Philzilla's Avatar
Philzilla Philzilla is offline
Recruit
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryShortcake View Post
If deployed, can one use a wireless card to use the internet (I believe Sprint claims to have worldwide coverage,) or are you limited to the network provided on base?
Wow, that is a good question. I have never met anyone using a wireless card. Could be an OPSEC issue I suppose. However internet is available for a fee, naturally.

Last edited by Philzilla; 05-07-2009 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:45 PM
StrawberryShortcake StrawberryShortcake is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
Wow, that is a good question. I have never met anyone using a wireless card. Could be an OPSEC issue I suppose. However internet is available for a fee, naturally.
Hm. If they weren't allowed, it'd be silly.. I mean, if they still have internet access, that network can be hacked.. It would actually be smarter to use different networks lol... though if everyone used different networks you wouldn't be able to monitor what the soldiers are doing as easily.
__________________
"Virtue is never left to stand alone. He who has it will have neighbors." - Confucius
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Armygirl4Ever's Avatar
Armygirl4Ever Armygirl4Ever is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home is Where You Hang Your Dog Tags!
Posts: 927
Default

Yes, you are limited to what is provided on each camp. Whether it's an internet cafe set up by the Army or you get it from a local provider there.

Each camp offers different things...the prices vary from area to area and also availability. Some Soldiers have access to internet in their rooms (for a fee) and some only have access to internet cafe's which are limited on time. And there are still some areas that are fairly remote and don't have access at all or is very limited.
__________________
Armygirl4ever,
Proudly Serving in the Silent (okay, maybe not always so silent) Ranks

Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 PM
StrawberryShortcake StrawberryShortcake is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
Yes, you are limited to what is provided on each camp. Whether it's an internet cafe set up by the Army or you get it from a local provider there.

Each camp offers different things...the prices vary from area to area and also availability. Some Soldiers have access to internet in their rooms (for a fee) and some only have access to internet cafe's which are limited on time. And there are still some areas that are fairly remote and don't have access at all or is very limited.
It disgusts me that soldiers aren't even guaranteed internet. It's not like we can't get internet everywhere in the world.. we have satellites..
Soldiers shouldn't even have to pay for internet.. psh.
__________________
"Virtue is never left to stand alone. He who has it will have neighbors." - Confucius
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Armygirl4Ever's Avatar
Armygirl4Ever Armygirl4Ever is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Home is Where You Hang Your Dog Tags!
Posts: 927
Default

Most camps provide an internet cafe in the Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) building/tent for free. Soldiers pay for the luxury of having it in their rooms much like they would pay for the luxury back here stateside.

Most families would tell you, it's worth every cent.
__________________
Armygirl4ever,
Proudly Serving in the Silent (okay, maybe not always so silent) Ranks

Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 AM
reconmedik's Avatar
reconmedik reconmedik is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 187
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryShortcake View Post
If deployed, can one use a wireless card to use the internet (I believe Sprint claims to have worldwide coverage,) or are you limited to the network provided on base?
Hey Cake, still looking good!! I am glad you and Missinhim have decided to grace us with your lovely presence. Since you guy's have joined the forum JBIZ is working on moving out of his mom's basement and is actually wearing pants now!! To answer your question, when I was in Iraq we only used the cards for phone service. Mostly due to OPSEC (operational security), we were required to only use the phones that the Army provided. I thought that was a load of crap so I bought a cell phone from Iraqna Cellular and bought minutes so I could call home and they could call me whenever I wanted without haveing to wait in line for 3 hours to make a 5 minute phone call. Almost every FOB (forward operating base) has a internet service that is secure and mostly reliable. It is EXTREMELY important that whatever method is used that he remembers that no matter which one....someone is lisetning. OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC!!! Never say or type anything that may put your fellow Soldiers at risk or provide the enemy with propaganda.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 AM
StrawberryShortcake StrawberryShortcake is offline
Second Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Davie, Florida
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Hey Cake, still looking good!! I am glad you and Missinhim have decided to grace us with your lovely presence. Since you guy's have joined the forum JBIZ is working on moving out of his mom's basement and is actually wearing pants now!! To answer your question, when I was in Iraq we only used the cards for phone service. Mostly due to OPSEC (operational security), we were required to only use the phones that the Army provided. I thought that was a load of crap so I bought a cell phone from Iraqna Cellular and bought minutes so I could call home and they could call me whenever I wanted without haveing to wait in line for 3 hours to make a 5 minute phone call. Almost every FOB (forward operating base) has a internet service that is secure and mostly reliable. It is EXTREMELY important that whatever method is used that he remembers that no matter which one....someone is lisetning. OPSEC OPSEC OPSEC!!! Never say or type anything that may put your fellow Soldiers at risk or provide the enemy with propaganda.
Lmao, I don't think Johnny will be out of his mommy's basement any time soon

I didn't know about the cell phones.. that's cool. I can just get international calling on my cell so he wouldn't have to waste his minutes.

If he does get deployed, it'd be nice if he had internet in his room. Webcamming would be awesome.
__________________
"Virtue is never left to stand alone. He who has it will have neighbors." - Confucius
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
Hey Cake, still looking good!! I am glad you and Missinhim have decided to grace us with your lovely presence.
Is that a come-on, Doc?

Not you, too!

I knew there'd be trouble as soon as those fine looking young ladies posted their pictures.

I here JBizo has even started wearing shoes & is learning to tie them.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 AM
JBizo's Avatar
JBizo JBizo is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 809
Default

You're all so very nice to notice that I have been tying my pants and wearing shoes! But I refuse to move out of the "basement" as you call it. Although, this 3'x5' room is a little crowded when the "pool boy" has to use my chair....or "crapper" as he refers to it. And even if it doesn't always smell like Citrus air spray when he leaves....its still free. I just wish the lock was on the inside of the door so I could get something to eat.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.