armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Private

Default New Reservist's wife with questions...

Hello! My husband recently enslised for the Reserve (88M) and is currently in BCT. I know that he can be deployed at any time once his AIT is over and he reports in to his unit, but is there any way of finding out when/if his unit is schedule to be deployed? Also, are the deployments usually for a year or can they be shorter? Final question, if he is sent to a non-combat zone, would it be possible for me to go with him?

Any help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Brigadier General

The best way to find out what the deployment possibilities is to call your husband's unit & see if they'll tell you. Most Reserve & Guard units get a fairly long heads-up time before actually going on active duty & they're normally given lots of press coverage from the local media so it shouldn't be a question of a security breach.

The usual time in active duty for the Reserve & Guard is 15 months -3 months of up-training & a year of deployment. This might change in the future, though. I know they were talking about 3 & 9 totalling one year. Not sure if anything came of it, though.

I doubt very much if you'd be allowed to accompany him. Maybe if they deployed to Korea but I haven't heard of any Reserve Components going there.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Private

[QUOTE=MSG Glenn;75975]The best way to find out what the deployment possibilities is to call your husband's unit & see if they'll tell you. Most Reserve & Guard units get a fairly long heads-up time before actually going on active duty & they're normally given lots of press coverage from the local media so it shouldn't be a question of a security breach.

Do you know how I can find the contact information for his unit? He's 88m (Motor Transport Operator) and all he told me was that his unit will be the 141st and that his reserve post is on Woodman dr, in Dayton OH. I tried a locator at goarmy.com and it turned up an address, but no phone number. I did find one when I googled that address for a US Senior USAR Commander, but when I tried to call it wanted me to enter the extension of the person I needed to speak with.... I had no clue. Any idea?

Thanks for the information you did give. Want to be as prepared as I can be.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Brigadier General

If you can get a hold of a phone book & look under US, Governement of, Army you might be able to find it. That's all I can think of to do.

There's much more of a unit designation than that. My son is an ACo/1st Bn/331st Regt-95th Div., US Army Reserve.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Private

Default Thanks again!

Thanks again for the response. I was able to track down a business card my husband said he left for his unit administrator who did inform me that it's a brand new unit which is why I was having such difficulty finding out it even existed!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Captain

As a Reservist, your unit is typically local and you serve in the capacity of part-time. Most Soldiers who join the Reserves or National Guard do that for that reason.

If your Soldier were to be activated and deployed whether it was to a combat zone or a support role like Germany, you would not go with him. He would be placed on temporary orders and sent to wherever and you would stay behind.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Private

A couple years ago our unit hosted an activated Reserve Unit here in Germany. You have to be command sponsored for the Army to pay for your family to come over, and they were not given that option. The tour was only for a year and command sponsorship requires three.

There were a couple of Reservists that had their girlfriends/fiances come over to live or for extended visits. Anything over 3 months would require a visa from the German government though. (All this was on their own dime.)