armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 09-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Brigadier General

Vent away Mom! That's what we're here for. We have to support each other.

You'll find that the needs of the Army trumps everything else. He's a soldier now & has to go where he's ordered. It's still ashame he wasn't able to get any leave. That'll give him more leave time on the books when he gets back. He gets 30 days a year so if he didn't get 15 days after training he'll still have that left.

My son's Ranger Battalion takes block leave. In other words the whole battalion goes at the same time for the same duration. He almost got rooked out of a normal leave this time because the batallion went on leave the day after Labor Day & he was in an NCO school that didn't graduate until that Friday. His boss let him stay 3 days after eveyone got back so it worked out OK. He went back last Thurs, 20 Sept.

Rangers don't normally work with the rest of the Army on deployment but he'll most likely be there when your boy is there. It'll be his 4th trip to the sandbox with once in the 'Stan. He enjoys it so he always looks forward to going. Bear in mind that a Ranger has a type A personality so it's just so much raw meat to a hungry tiger!

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Second Lieutenant

Thumbs up

Thanks, it really does help. The same thing happened to him. His unit had already deployed and the guys he is being deployed with had just come back from leave. He'll have so much leave when he gets back, I'll be ready for him to leave again.

He was in line for airborne and rip but decided he wanted to get some experience and go back in with some rank. He went in thinking career, I'm not sure what he thinks now. I guess we will wait and see. He loved basic, so I think once he gets overseas and sees what it's really like and not just the skewed view we get from the press that he will feel better about it. He can't stand waiting for anything, he wants to jump in and do.

Is your son out of Ft. Carson? I'm a Colorado native so I am well aware of Ft. Carson. It's one of the bases my son was hoping for. He likes Seattle though. Mountains and ocean! You can't get any better than that.

Thanks again, it's nice to know I am not going through this alone. And don't worry, I will never go to the dark side. We are right!