armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Recruit

Question AF - Blue To Green

Hey all,

Yes, I've used the search function on the forums, so please don't blast me for yet another Blue-To-Green thread; my questions are a bit more specific than I've seen. I'm hoping an active recruiter can help me out (the local guy is hard to get a hold of).

Anyways, I'm currently an active duty AF E-4 with 2.5 years in service. I have 3.5 years left on my contract as a Cryptologic Linguist (I think that's now a 35P for Army). I've been wanting to go green since I joined the Air Force. My dad is prior Army (11B, SF, ODD for those who are interested) and talked me into joining the Air Force over the Army. So far, I 100% regret that decision.

I'm looking to become a Ranger, specifically with the 75th. I want the training, the ops tempo, the experiences, travel, and every bit of pain-in-the-*** that comes with 1) being in the Army and 2) deploying constantly. I've done a decent amount of research thus far and I'm sure this is what I want.

I know the Air Force won't release me from service just yet, but I'm trying to get as much information as soon as I can. I've been training for RIP for a while and I'm sure I've got at least another year for that before the AF will even let me go.

So, my questions are:

1. Should I not test for E-5 to better my chances of getting a spot in RIP. I assume it would be difficult for an NCO to get a spot without combat arms experience.

2. Does prior service have the ability to get the option-40 contract (I think that's what they call a contract with RIP guaranteed in writing).

3. Does anyone have access to, or better yet a link to, the actual regulations regarding Blue-to-Green transfers? I don't have an AKO account, so those links won't help me.

4. Assuming I pass RIP and Airborne and everything else, would I have a significantly better shot at the 75th if I retrain as 11B/C, or do they have a pressing need for intel ops as well?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Brigadier General

The 75th has MOSs other than 11B, 13F, & 68W. Those MOSs are the operational types & actually go on missions. I'm not sure exactly which MOSs are included in the rest of Regiment but I know I found it on the Benning website, 75th Ranger Regt. button some time ago.

If you can use your old AF MOS in Regiment then I'd say go for it. If you'd rather be an operational Ranger than you could certainly go to Infantry School after WTC. That's probably the easiest way of getting into the 75th.

Your chain of instruction would be WTC, Airborne School, RIP (you can attend RIP as an E5) & then once in Regiment to Pre-Ranger & Ranger School. These days RS comes pretty fast after RIP. They might go back to the old system of getting a new Ranger OJT in his unit & with maybe one deployment & then sending him off to RS when he's promotable to E4. If you hold a support MOS then RS is not a requirement to be in a leadership position.

Now the two immediate hurdles that face you is to get a release from the Air Force & get recruited in the Army with a Ranger contract. I've heard that prior service have a hard time getting a Ranger contract. Against as you know. That's what you'll have to have your recruiter get for you.

Non 75th Ranger Regt. soldiers can go to Ranger School sometime during their enlistment. They earn the Ranger Tab & go back to their unit to pass on the training they've received.

I suggest you start getting yourself in shape for RIP & RS. All of the PT you're getting in the AF & what you'll get at WTC, Infantry School, & Airborne School is a joke to Rangers. You'll have to pass the 17-21 year age group APFT with an 80% score. Check Google & they'll say 70%. Wrong. My son just left active duty with the 3rd Ranger Batt.

Google all the requirements for RIP & RS. You have time to start getting into shape & also decide which MOS you want to go in as.

Good luck to you & please keep us updated on your progress.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Staff Sergeant

Talking

2 a day weight & cardio training!!!!!!! This is called split routine!!!!!!!!Weights+cardio+abs Morning. Cardio+abs afternoon dedication and strick diet will prevail!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Recruit

I'm keeping up with about a 270/300 on the APFT with most of that loss in the running portion. I've pulled off a 13.5 mile cross-country ruckmarch, albeit with a light pack, before in a quick time. I like the idea of the two-a-days I saw though. I may get that started as soon as I get out of this unit in a couple months, for now that's a bit tough with my schedule.

MSG, you said I can attend as an E-5, but would I have a harder time getting in there (especially if I don't get the Option 40 contract) as an E-5 with none of the typical training soldiers have? I know WTC will give me a basis, but I'm sure I won't be up to par with what they expect even RIP applicants to be at.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Brigadier General

I think WTC will be enough especially if you go to Infantry School. Your PT is fine now you just have to brush up on your marksmanship which you'll get plenty of. WTC is designed to get you up to speed just as if you had gone through BCT as an Army enlistee.

I hope that you can get an Option 40 contract. Like I said it's normally not given to prior service. You just have to find the right recruiter.

At this time I think your main goal is just to get released for the Air Force & get in then Army with as good of a contract that you can.
Retired MSG

Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
I think WTC will be enough especially if you go to Infantry School. Your PT is fine now you just have to brush up on your marksmanship which you'll get plenty of. WTC is designed to get you up to speed just as if you had gone through BCT as an Army enlistee.

I hope that you can get an Option 40 contract. Like I said it's normally not given to prior service. You just have to find the right recruiter.

At this time I think your main goal is just to get released for the Air Force & get in then Army with as good of a contract that you can.
Thanks for the info, but it leads me to another question. Army training doctrine is pretty different from the Air Force, with more opportunities for additional training and whatnot. So even if I were to enlist as intel, a 35P (I'm considering staying intel to try for 18F eventually), am I able to go to infantry school (or any additional infantry training before RIP), or are you talking about me enlisting as 11B?

Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Brigadier General

You can do either, stay as a 35P or enlist as an 11B. If the 75th Ranger Regt. has intel MOSs then you should be good to go. If not or there are no slots available I can suggest you enlist as an 11B if you really want to be a Ranger & someday in SF.

I'm really not sure how SF handles prior service but new enlistees going in with an 18X contract must attend Infantry School & Airborne School before going to SFAS. He then gets trained in an 18-series MOS after the Q Course.

In my opinion if you want Ranger & later SF then it would seem that 11B is the way to go.

You're going to have to do some heavy research on that.

I'm not really sure either about going into the SF with the MOS of your choice. It's normally whichever 18-series MOS they need & the same is true of Language School. I would think that an MOS that you're already trained in would carry some weight but the MOS you hold now might have many variations from an 18 MOS.
Retired MSG

Tags
air force, blue to green, contract, ranger, rip