armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 10-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Private

Default Considering Enlistment

Heres my situation,

Was in the Air Force once before.. Got discharged during basic... Kinda got a way out and took it.. Not thinking right back then , I believe i made a mistake.. Regretfully , I have always wanted to get back into the Military.

Considering the Army, of course..

I recently had a son that was born this past March, (my first child). Obviously I'm trying to weigh out the options, PROS and CONS about joining..

Just wondering if anyone had any advice about whats its like to join having a baby in the picture? Whats to come?

Appreciate It!!

Old 10-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questions View Post
Heres my situation,

Was in the Air Force once before.. Got discharged during basic... Kinda got a way out and took it.. Not thinking right back then , I believe i made a mistake.. Regretfully , I have always wanted to get back into the Military.

Considering the Army, of course..

I recently had a son that was born this past March, (my first child). Obviously I'm trying to weigh out the options, PROS and CONS about joining..

Just wondering if anyone had any advice about whats its like to join having a baby in the picture? Whats to come?

Appreciate It!!
Are you single? Male or Female? Cause it is different raising a child by yourself vs. with someone when enlisted. Also are you married? My advice would differ if you were male or female.

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 10-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Private

Default Following Up

I am a male, not single. Do have a live in girlfriend who i've been with for 2 yrs.. I'm also raising her 4 yr old daughter..along with my son

Old 10-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
I am a male, not single. Do have a live in girlfriend who i've been with for 2 yrs.. I'm also raising her 4 yr old daughter..along with my son
I am pro-military... we have had a great experience thus far... of course, expectations have a lot to do with that. For example, we went in knowing we would be deployed. There are great things... we love that he works 9-5... we love that even at his age (31) he will be going to school and we don't have to go into debt... meaning we won't be paying off school loans as he turns 60... hahaha! My husband was in construction and manufacturing fields. He loved construction - the hard labor, etc... but he wanted something more challenging mentally and something with consistent pay/healthcare. He wanted a physical job, but also a job that as he got older he could have balance between desk and physical labor. He has been pleased with the intel field.

I wanted to be a stay at home mom... it has been hard on one income (I think that goes for any family... in or out of the military fields)... I went from making $45k to now making nothing... hahaha! So there is no room for budgeting errors. However, the Army has taken care of our basic needs.

Jason does not regret joining one bit. Really - if you are okay with being away and having the physical challenges you'll do fine. The kids have handled things really well. My son is 3 and my daughter is 6. They have had their moments where they ask about daddy (when he was in training)... we keep things really positive in our house. We wear the army shirts/hats, talk about change a lot, moving a lot... so they are prepared and transition as well as kids can. The kids have asked questions as to dad's safety... we talk a lot about how daddy's army buddies all work to protect each other. Which is funny cause now every time they see someone in their uniform they say loudly "LOOK! THERE'S DAD'S ARMY FRIEND!" even though we have no clue who it is. He has the kids do PT exercises with him. hahaha

I do not know how it works when you are single and have dependents... maybe someone here is more familiar with additional allowances... ??? I am not sure how they work housing when you are not married? I am sure someone will fill you in.

What do you want out of the military? Is your gf supportive of your desire to enlist? I would say should you go... she will need to be on board just as much as you are. Relationships are hard as it is... if you don't have someone that is ok with having you in and out -- OR feels comfortable running the house while you're out... then you're setting yourself up for additional turmoil...

What career fields are you looking into? My brothers/hubby are all in various Intel fields and LOVE it. They get a mix of desk and field... clearances are sought and they have had opportunities to transition into careers with the CIA/FBI ... however they have always resigned with the military instead of taking up those offers. My other brother was a mechanic on blackhawks... he enjoyed that.

Everyone on here has lots of experience and have so many different fields of interest... I am sure you'll hear it all.

-Fireball

Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Brigadier General

I COULD BE WRONG but I'm pretty sure that your child would get an allotment, medical care, etc. but unless you're married to your lady & adopt her daughter they would probably be excluded. They would then become your legal dependant.

I'm retired Army with a wife & 3 kids, now all grown with my youngest, a son, in the Army. They had coverage & allotments while I was in.

Don't take this as Gospel but I know the Army doesn't want to pay anything for people who might not be dependents in the future.

Good luck in you decision to join or not. Possibly call a recruiter, tell him you're kinda interested & give him all then questions you have. Find out all this stuff before joining & by all means let him know about dropping the Air Force! There's a reenlistment code on you DD 214. Maybe this will ban you.

MSG Glenn
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Look at your DD-214, what's the RE code say?

Old 10-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Private

Default Little More

REENTRY IS 2C, SEP IS JFX

Girlfriend is very supportive and believes it is a good chance for me.. Family supportive as well..Kinda worried about knowing if she could handle it, while I may be away on her own.. She does tell me yes, so of couse I as well support her.Marriage is in our heads, just hasn't happened yet nor do we want to rush that issue...

What I'm wanting out of the ARMY?

Honestly, I'm looking to go back to school, for culinary arts (pastry side of it, although I have a vast knowledge of Computer systems/networking) but financial aid and student loans are a bit of a pain. The military has been in the back of my head since I stupidly left. Had planned to make it a career.. So getting college paid for is a plus!!!

Financially I don't really see any struggle with money. Pretty much you have to budget no matter what you do.. Which is no problem with me..

From what I understand this is a pretty good heathcare issurance availiable? FOr now me and my son? Although If marriage were to come along, I know I could cover my wife, regarding her daughter, would it be possible to have some for her?

This is something stable, it;s not like the Army goes of STRIKE or lays off any workers..

The experience is something to value.. Something that could be used in civilian life If I were to ever come out.. Although I have this thing , where that if I go in, I do believe I would want to go into something physically and mentally demanding, combat related, airborne/Ranger as such.. I have have this attitie , that when I do something, to go all out, experience all that you can.. IF your gonna do it , do it right.. This I believe would give me that feeling of self respect , like I know , that I'm serving my country , protecting whats right. Then after that , gointo something a little more calmed.. I'm sure the combat related field makes my girlfirend a little nervous, and me to about my child.. But I know he will be well taken care of if I were to join the military. I support my son no matter if Im in the army or flipping burgers.. He's what , makes me want to give him a good life and do so much for him and myself.

I want to thank all of you for all your feedback and to anyone else who leaves posts

Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

You may have to have a medical wavier with the JFX. What did they diagnose you with?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
REENTRY IS 2C, SEP IS JFX

Girlfriend is very supportive and believes it is a good chance for me.. Family supportive as well..Kinda worried about knowing if she could handle it, while I may be away on her own.. She does tell me yes, so of couse I as well support her.Marriage is in our heads, just hasn't happened yet nor do we want to rush that issue...

What I'm wanting out of the ARMY?

Honestly, I'm looking to go back to school, for culinary arts (pastry side of it, although I have a vast knowledge of Computer systems/networking) but financial aid and student loans are a bit of a pain. The military has been in the back of my head since I stupidly left. Had planned to make it a career.. So getting college paid for is a plus!!!

Financially I don't really see any struggle with money. Pretty much you have to budget no matter what you do.. Which is no problem with me..

From what I understand this is a pretty good heathcare issurance availiable? FOr now me and my son? Although If marriage were to come along, I know I could cover my wife, regarding her daughter, would it be possible to have some for her?

This is something stable, it;s not like the Army goes of STRIKE or lays off any workers..

The experience is something to value.. Something that could be used in civilian life If I were to ever come out.. Although I have this thing , where that if I go in, I do believe I would want to go into something physically and mentally demanding, combat related, airborne/Ranger as such.. I have have this attitie , that when I do something, to go all out, experience all that you can.. IF your gonna do it , do it right.. This I believe would give me that feeling of self respect , like I know , that I'm serving my country , protecting whats right. Then after that , gointo something a little more calmed.. I'm sure the combat related field makes my girlfirend a little nervous, and me to about my child.. But I know he will be well taken care of if I were to join the military. I support my son no matter if Im in the army or flipping burgers.. He's what , makes me want to give him a good life and do so much for him and myself.

I want to thank all of you for all your feedback and to anyone else who leaves posts
They will not cover her daughter unless you have adopted her. Yes, I agree budget is important and you get that regardless of the job... but depending on what you go in as... and your current expenses... I know we make as E2 $2300 a month. THAT is WITH our housing allowance. So if we lived on post we would only be bringing in 1400 a month... of course, if you gf works... then you may be fine. I know going from making over 80k combined to now making under 30k... It has been crazy. hahahaha We have enough for basic needs and that is all.

As with any job there are pros and cons... I am sure you guys will figure out what will work best for your family.

-Fireball

Old 10-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Private

Default little more

they said I had Post Tramatic Stess Disorder..

My issue is, is that I may have f#$%^ed myself but overexagerating during BAS testing. Which is why I got discharged..But at the time I thought what I was doing was right?