armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Private

Send a message via Yahoo to natesangel
Unhappy Camp Casey, Korea

We will be dealing with our first deployment since we started dating. As much as we hated him being a recruiter, at least he was home. He just got orders to Camp Casey, Korea for one year, reporting sometime in November. I am very anxious about him being away. What can you tell me about Camp Casey? Are there advantages to him getting such a deployment in the long run? He says he can pretty much pick where he wants to go afterwards. Is that true?? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesangel View Post
We will be dealing with our first deployment since we started dating. As much as we hated him being a recruiter, at least he was home. He just got orders to Camp Casey, Korea for one year, reporting sometime in November. I am very anxious about him being away. What can you tell me about Camp Casey? Are there advantages to him getting such a deployment in the long run? He says he can pretty much pick where he wants to go afterwards. Is that true?? Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Well first off Korea is not a deployment, it's a hardship tour, and while it is classified as a forward deployed assignment (technically the two Koreas are still at war) it is not a deployment.

Camp Casey isn't a bad place to be, it's basically like being stateside and has a lot of the same amnemities that stateside has. Your communication avenues are great, you have internet and phone and unless he's in the field he will work regular hours.

As far as getting to pick his assignment there are so many variables that come into play with that, number of years he has in, rank, his MOS and their numbers and duty stations that may be short or overflowing with those jobs.

Good luck.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Private

Nate tells me that I would be able to visit him in Camp Casey and stay with him for 30 days. Is that a one time thing for the whole year??

Old 09-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesangel View Post
Nate tells me that I would be able to visit him in Camp Casey and stay with him for 30 days. Is that a one time thing for the whole year??
He will get 30 days midtour leave. Now if he decided to take that in country and bring you over that is his decision. I don't know his rank but if he is living in the barracks and has a roommate (or even if he doesn't) you cannot stay there with him. You will have to find a hotel/motel off the installation to stay during that time. There are times when you get a super nice Commander who will approve a significant other to stay in the barracks but that is a rare occasion. And he only gets 30 days leave while over there, you can go visit him whenever you want, however many times you want, but whether or not he gets the time off to hang out with you is dependent on his command.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Private

Default Thanks

Thank you for all the information. He is an SFC (is that E7??). We found out he reports there on 11/10. I am getting anxious now that dates are available. I am lucky enough to be able to spend 6 days in Texas with him later this month and then he will spend time here in cali before he leaves. I am trying to read up all i can on camp casey. Can someone tell me what "demilitarized zone" means?? Thank you again!!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Recruit

Default Camp Casey

My husband is here at Camp casey. We have been here for a year. He AIP'ed, so we have one more year to go. Camp Casey is in "area 1". It pretty much SUCKS!!!! It's the crappiest part of S. Korea. Down South in Seoul is wonderful. On the weeknds he can go there and get away from here. Why don't you move here with him? I think it would be best for the both of you. If you have anymore questions, you can e-mail me anytime at [email]aprilmiller1234@yahoo.com[/email].

Tags
camp casey, deployment, korea, unaccompanied