Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Old 08-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine4Life View Post
I guess we better change the name of the New York Yankees then. lol
LOL yeah..wouldnt imagine it would go down well in NYC though...by the way what a stadium that is...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj1000 View Post
LOL yeah..wouldnt imagine it would go down well in NYC though...by the way what a stadium that is...
The Yankees get all the new stuff. kind of like the Army. Other stadiums aren't as nice. Just give the Yankees their own island too.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
If any American members of this forum are offended by the use of the word yank...shout out and i will edit the post
I have absolutely no objections to be called a Yank, especially by you Brits.

jrj,

Judo is scored by terms such as koka, the least score, yuko, waazari, & ippon. Ippon is an instant win where the fighter is thrown on his back. The only score that adds is the waazari. Two waazaris equals an ippon. Twenty kokas or yukos are still just 20 kokas or yukos. One waazari beats them. The lesser scores are for landing on the butt, the side, or somewhat on the back (that would be a waazari which is basically "almost ippon")

You can also get scores by a hold down also, the shoulders need not be pinned like in wrestling. 10 seconds=koka, 15 seconds=yuko, 20 seconds= waazari, 25 seconds = ippon, or instant win. A hold down starts when the ref says "osaekomi".

There are two submission holds in Judo. An arm bar, where the arm is bent backwards until the victim taps out, and chokes until tap-out or pass out. A tap-out is an automatic ippon. The only points on the body which can be attacked for a submission are the elbow & the neck. Sometimes the ref will award the match before tap-out to stop any possible injuries if he sees that the victim has no way of getting out of it.

On Sunday my son won his 1st match with the smallest score, a koka. His second match was won by an ippon, a beautiful throw right smack dab on the back with speed & power, his 3rd match was won by a decision where there was no score but he came closest to scoring by knocking his opponent to his knees in 1 minute overtime & his 4th match was lost by a decision where, in overtime his opponent was judged by the ref & one judge (2 judges & one ref at each match) , to have slightly more aggression & scoring attempts. The second judge voted for my son. It was that close. He came out with a silver which he was pleased with. That was his first Judo match in five years. The last guy who he went up against tried out for the Olympics & missed it by a whisker so there was nothing to be ashamed of. It could have gone either way, maybe one more attack on his part.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post

jrj,

Judo is scored by terms such as koka, the least score, yuko, waazari, & ippon. Ippon is an instant win where the fighter is thrown on his back. The only score that adds is the waazari. Two waazaris equals an ippon. Twenty kokas or yukos are still just 20 kokas or yukos. One waazari beats them. The lesser scores are for landing on the butt, the side, or somewhat on the back (that would be a waazari which is basically "almost ippon")

You can also get scores by a hold down also, the shoulders need not be pinned like in wrestling. 10 seconds=koka, 15 seconds=yuko, 20 seconds= waazari, 25 seconds = ippon, or instant win. A hold down starts when the ref says "osaekomi".

There are two submission holds in Judo. An arm bar, where the arm is bent backwards until the victim taps out, and chokes until tap-out or pass out. A tap-out is an automatic ippon. The only points on the body which can be attacked for a submission are the elbow & the neck. Sometimes the ref will award the match before tap-out to stop any possible injuries if he sees that the victim has no way of getting out of it.

On Sunday my son won his 1st match with the smallest score, a koka. His second match was won by an ippon, a beautiful throw right smack dab on the back with speed & power, his 3rd match was won by a decision where there was no score but he came closest to scoring by knocking his opponent to his knees in 1 minute overtime & his 4th match was lost by a decision where, in overtime his opponent was judged by the ref & one judge (2 judges & one ref at each match) , to have slightly more aggression & scoring attempts. The second judge voted for my son. It was that close. He came out with a silver which he was pleased with. That was his first Judo match in five years. The last guy who he went up against tried out for the Olympics & missed it by a whisker so there was nothing to be ashamed of. It could have gone either way, maybe one more attack on his part.

You gotta respect the knowledge. The wise MSG speaks again.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Brigadier General

I don't know if it's knowledge as much as experience. I've been doing Judo since my Navy days in the '60s. Scoring has changed somewhat as well as the rules but it's still Judo!

There's no better feeling than launching an opponent in such a manner that he lands squarely on his back, says oof, & the referee is holding his arm straight up saying "IPPON"!

The next best thing is to have him in a hold down so tight there's nothing he can do but wait 25 seconds only to have the referee hold his arm straight up saying "IPPON"!

Winning is everything.
Retired MSG

Old 08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:

jrj,

Nice one Glenn..received and understood . you didnt confuse me...

I would say your son did well..he must have been a little ring rusty after being out of the saddle for so long..more agression can sway the judges....same as sport karate that

Old 08-15-2008, 01:23 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Winning is everything.
LOL...that reminds me of my first karate comp...i lost in the QFs to the person who went on to win...i was gutted i came off the mat found a quiet corner ripped my pads off chucked them into my bag..and sat there fuming
My mom came over with my uncle..she said "Winning isnt everything"
and my uncle said.."Oh yeah if thats the case,why do they bother keeping score then"

He was right...and that statement has stayed with me

Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 AM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
I don't know if it's knowledge as much as experience. I've been doing Judo since my Navy days in the '60s. Scoring has changed somewhat as well as the rules but it's still Judo!

There's no better feeling than launching an opponent in such a manner that he lands squarely on his back, says oof, & the referee is holding his arm straight up saying "IPPON"!

The next best thing is to have him in a hold down so tight there's nothing he can do but wait 25 seconds only to have the referee hold his arm straight up saying "IPPON"!

Winning is everything.
Winning IS everything. I was always told that 2nd place is the first loser and nothing more. Thats what my coaches beat into our heads.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:46 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
LOL...that reminds me of my first karate comp...i lost in the QFs to the person who went on to win...i was gutted i came off the mat found a quiet corner ripped my pads off chucked them into my bag..and sat there fuming
My mom came over with my uncle..she said "Winning isnt everything"
and my uncle said.."Oh yeah if thats the case,why do they bother keeping score then"

He was right...and that statement has stayed with me
What style of karate did you practice?

I'm a sandan in GojuRyu & Kenpo & taught it between my Navy & Army years along with a whole bunch of self-defense courses for women & the handicapped.
I still coach Judo 3 times week (or so) & hold a nidan in that sport along with my son. Our club has stopped ranking people but instead have an unofficial "team belt", red, white & blue that is earned by being in the club for a year minimum with good attendance & competing in 10 Judo tournaments.

We felt that the testing process & katas were just a waste of time & money. We have 2 ranks-winner & loser.

My son & any other young man who enters the service is given rank according to his abilities so at least he has some documentation in case he needs to get on a service team or maybe as an unarmed combat instructor.

I likewise ranked my son as a shodan in Kenpo. He earned it. It was certainly not a gimme & I tested him harder than any of my former students. With instructor certification I can rank anyone up to & including my own rank.
Retired MSG

Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
What style of karate did you practice?

I'm a sandan in GojuRyu & Kenpo & taught it between my Navy & Army years along with a whole bunch of self-defense courses for women & the handicapped.
I still coach Judo 3 times week (or so) & hold a nidan in that sport along with my son. Our club has stopped ranking people but instead have an unofficial "team belt", red, white & blue that is earned by being in the club for a year minimum with good attendance & competing in 10 Judo tournaments.

We felt that the testing process & katas were just a waste of time & money. We have 2 ranks-winner & loser.

My son & any other young man who enters the service is given rank according to his abilities so at least he has some documentation in case he needs to get on a service team or maybe as an unarmed combat instructor.

I likewise ranked my son as a shodan in Kenpo. He earned it. It was certainly not a gimme & I tested him harder than any of my former students. With instructor certification I can rank anyone up to & including my own rank.
I trained wado ryu for a year i was only four years old..i was so bad with my left and right the instructor had to write a big L and R on my hands and feet
I have forgoten most of my Japanese....I do remember the Kata Pinan nidan??....does that ring any bells mate i made orange belt

I moved onto Sport Karate and trained in that for 10 years its a mix of karate and kickboxing...I am a second degree black belt 2nd Dan...its a semi-contact points scoring system...it gave me great fitness...and allowed me to travel from a young age two tournaments in the States..four in France two in Belgium and Euro championships in Italy...i loved it

When they got us boxing in the Army i was happy..the rest of the new recruits were wild swingers...they only let me fight another squaddie once....even the corporals and sergeants...didnt want to box me

When i left the Army i got into Mixed Martial Arts..witch is full contact i only had three fights
1W
1D
1L
My Insurance has no expired for MMA
I still box twice a week and do my grappling groundwork...its good for fitness...and keeps you tough..so i like it

Forgive my ignorance but sandan is that fifth degree?...also Kenpo is that a form of stick fighting?
I was looking at doing some Judo but there were no classes in my area...its good for self defence..its ok being a good striker but more often then not if you get into trouble most fights go to the ground...thats why i like my grappling and groundwork
I would also like to try some JKD at some point