armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Recruit

Default No Diploma or GED

Hey everyone,

I've been looking to find a way to talk to a recruiter, but I'm having trouble filling out the form on the website to have one contact me.

After 10'th grade I did a bit of homeschooling which I never feel I got very far in, regardless, I was able to get into college and attended for 3 semesters before realizing it's not the right thing for me. I never got a GED after homeschooling, and I never got a diploma, so I managed to go to college without either. When I'm filling out the form to get contacted by a recruiter it asks if I have a GED or Diploma (I check NO), then asks for highest level of education completed (1 year college since it doesn't go by semesters), but then it asks for graduation date. I can't submit the form without selecting a date, but I'd rather not start off by lying about that before I even talk to a recruiter.

So should I put down an aproximate date of when I would have graduated had I stayed in a traditional school and explain it to the recruiter when I talk to him/her, or is there another way to get in touch with a recruiter in my area?

Sorry to just jump in here, but I'm not much of one for introductions and figured this was the place to get my questions answered.

-MT

Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Brigadier General

You should be able to find an Army Recruiting station in the phine book. If you go on GoArmy.com I'm sure that some where there's a 1-800 toll free number. Not knowing what area you're in I can't offer any other suggestions.

Found it. How about calling 1-800-USA-ARMY. They'll be able to hook you up with a Recruiter that's near you.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Recruit

Ah, thank you. I'll give that number a try. I'm in NH by the way.

-MT

Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Private First Class

yeah i'd look up a recruiter in the phone book as well and just talk to them in person. if you'd go through w/the form the recruiter would just give you bad info on the phone since he wouldn't know the correct details. and another side note, even if you did finish homeschooling, you'd still have to get your ged....well at least from ohio anyway, here homeschool diploma's dont count for the military even though they count for other work places and to get into college. My husband was homeschooled and so so were a bunch of our friends that went into the military and they all had to get their ged. and as some further advice, since you already know you'll have to get your ged, i'd get your ged first before you contact a recruiter. The recruiter will tell you that the military will take of the cost of getting your ged but in place of that, you wont get a signing bonus and if you do it wont be much. So get your ged taken care of first, I know in ohio the process of getting in touch with a testing location and getting your ged mailed to you takes around a month and as soon as you get you ged mailed to you, you're ready for the recruiter. so hope this info will help

Last edited by Metallicious; 01-28-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahWarriorMT View Post
Hey everyone,

I've been looking to find a way to talk to a recruiter, but I'm having trouble filling out the form on the website to have one contact me.

After 10'th grade I did a bit of homeschooling which I never feel I got very far in, regardless, I was able to get into college and attended for 3 semesters before realizing it's not the right thing for me. I never got a GED after homeschooling, and I never got a diploma, so I managed to go to college without either. When I'm filling out the form to get contacted by a recruiter it asks if I have a GED or Diploma (I check NO), then asks for highest level of education completed (1 year college since it doesn't go by semesters), but then it asks for graduation date. I can't submit the form without selecting a date, but I'd rather not start off by lying about that before I even talk to a recruiter.

So should I put down an aproximate date of when I would have graduated had I stayed in a traditional school and explain it to the recruiter when I talk to him/her, or is there another way to get in touch with a recruiter in my area?

Sorry to just jump in here, but I'm not much of one for introductions and figured this was the place to get my questions answered.

-MT
Even being homeschooled you should have received something equivalent to a high school diploma. Do you have transcripts of any type to transfer into credits. I am not familiar with NH's homeschool rules but I know many states that require testing to be considered a graduate.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Recruit

Default For JahWarriorMT

I live in Virginia and I can tell you that I have two people I know that did not have a high school diploma or GED. One has signed and the other is studying to take the ASVAB. The one that has signed did get a bonus and they both have to go to a school that will help them receive their GED's(going to school while being enlisted. so you will be payed and have all benefits while getting educated. not bad) I can't say that this is a Virginia thing, I would think that this might be an Army thing, so talk to a recruiter about it. There should be a local recruiter near you.(usually around mall areas) Hope this helps you out.

Tags
diploma, ged