armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Reserves
User Name
Password

Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Recruit

Default If I enlist in the reserves...

well...im in college, and im thinking about joining the army. I want to finish school. Will the Army pay for that if am in the reserves. Do you get paid in the reserves, and is there like a signing bonus.

Im not sure if the reserves would be better than active duty. How much do you get paid if your on Active Duty?

Old 05-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Private First Class

Active Duty is a full time job, and you get 2 paychecks a month like most full time jobs.

Reserves is part time (only 2 days a month), so naturally, you don't get much monthly pay from that. Unless your mobilized, in which case you get Active Duty pay, the same as they do.

On either case, you get Active Duty pay while away for training.

Look up "military pay scale", and make sure it's dated 2009.
AIT - Redstone Arsenal, AL - 20090810

Old 05-10-2009, 04:56 AM
Brigadier General

Some bonuses have dried up or have been reduced due to the seasonal rush of prospective recruits. The Army is having no problems meeting or exceeding it's recruiting goals. Not too sure about the Reserve but I know the Regular Army & National Guard are going strong.

I believe that there is some provision to get the Montgomery GI Bill for Reserve enlistments. Exactly how much is unkown to me. I know a 4 year enlistment in the Active Army will get you up to $50,000. My son is getting that right now plus since he went into the Reserve after active duty he also receives a $1300 a month stipend while he's in school. I don't know how it's portioned out between MGIB, Reserves, State & VA. On top of that he receives pay for attending Reserve drills.

My advice would be to talk to a Recruiter & get all of the most up-to-date info on all of your questions. Things change so fast that it's hard to keep up.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Private

I can answer this one. The reserves offer two different routes. One is money for college (montgomery GI bill + a 350 kicker) and a 10,000 bonus. With this you get 2 years with non-deployable status and you go to drill one weekend a month and to training 2 weeks outof the summer. the other is a 20,000 bonus and you serve in the reserves with only the montgomery GI bill for college. With both options you have to go to bct and ait during the summer. BCT is 10 weeks (including reception battalion) and AIT length varies with the job. My mos is 68W. (combat medic) AIT is 18 weeks long and there's a lot you can learn. For both basic and ait you get active duty pay. The reserves are a great option if you have a civilian career or need money for college.