armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 05-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Captain

It all depends on what type of unit you are in. I was a 71L in the Army (they combined that into 42A). I spent a lot of my time in the Army in the field or deployed. I did not work just 9-5.

There are some places that you can luck out and work that type of schedule. But with a versatile MOS like 42A, you can end up in any type of unit. Whatever that units mission is, you will have to support it. Your job may not be as intense or require a lot of time away from a desk but it can call for long hours. Again, it depends on your unit. Something else, a lot of times Admin clerks get tasked as drivers and that brings up a whole different set of schedule.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Private First Class

Thanks for the information, It does not matter if I go to feild or not, I just want to make sure I am not being lied to. We all know how some recruiters are.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by kersey1 View Post
Thanks for the information, It does not matter if I go to feild or not, I just want to make sure I am not being lied to. We all know how some recruiters are.
What?!!! Recruiters lie?!!

I got a Bachelor's & an Associates via correspondence course (there were no online courses available then) while in the Army & had gotten quite a few credits while in the Navy that transferred. I was able to attend some residence classes on post as well to add a few more credits. Hard work! I wish I could say that I used the education but it helped me get up to senior NCO rank (the boards love education both civilian & military) & after I retired from the Army, a supervisory job in private security. Qualified me anywhere from Security CPL to CPT depending on the size of the site we were protecting.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Private First Class

Thanks MSG Glenn, I know the being in the Army is about serving our country. I was hoping that I could finish school while I served.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Private First Class

Default Ashworth college

Does anyone know about Ashworth college? Is the degree you get worth anything? I hope I did not offend anyone with that question, A freind of did that on line program and had his assiocates degree in less than a year reason I was asking. Thanks for any replies.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Private

Even before the days of the internet, my Dad finished his bach and then got his masters from a school now called excelsior, all while on active duty. They really work with you to take CLEP (now Dante?) tests for credits. I've heard they auto-recognize military training in many cases too. My ship date is Sept 1, so I dunno all the details, but the edu opportunities I've found out about recently are very VERY encouraging!
MOS: 25N - Nodal Network Systems Op./Maintainer
BCT/AIT: Ft. Jackson, SC/Ft. Gordon, GA