armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > National Guard
User Name
Password

Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Recruit

Default MP first aid traing

I am shipping to basic training July 15th and right into MP school after. I was wondering how in depth the first aid training is in basic and MP school, gore and medical proceedures do not sit to well with me (have been known to pass out). So if anyone could let me know what to prepare myself for I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Medical Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbp View Post
I am shipping to basic training July 15th and right into MP school after. I was wondering how in depth the first aid training is in basic and MP school, gore and medical proceedures do not sit to well with me (have been known to pass out). So if anyone could let me know what to prepare myself for I would greatly appreciate it.
Most medical training in BCT is pretty basic. Applying tournequets(sp?), pressure bandages, treat for shock, heat and cold injuries etc.. Not a whole lot of gore connected with that! You will be tested using your battle buddy as a training dummy and all wounds will be simulated(pretend). Some BCT's will use the moulage kit,which is a makeup kit that has all kinds of gory bloody wounds that can be applied to a individual. They are very realistic but also very expensive so I would be suprised if you see it in BCT. The moulage is usually reserved for major field exercises and medic training. No matter what method is used jut keep it all in perspective and remember it aint real!! I am pretty sure that there will not be any IV training unless you are selected to attend Combat Lifesaver Course. That will happen only after you complete BCT and AIT.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Corporal

my husband said they did have to do IV training at Ft. Jackson BCT. Got stuck a bunch by his Battle buddy.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekamcclung View Post
my husband said they did have to do IV training at Ft. Jackson BCT. Got stuck a bunch by his Battle buddy.
The Rangers are trained to do that, too, in Ranger School & in their unit. I wasn't aware they were doing that at BCT. Sounds like a good idea, though.

If anyone is afraid of needles they have no business being in the Army. They get a bunch of shots a Reception & a whole bunch more before deployment.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Staff Sergeant

yes they are doing IV's now it's part of the newly developed Combat Life Saver program for basic they teach you a few things that'll go against your morals as far as procedure of getting to a downed soldier but in the field you'll end up doing what you feel is right is what my drill sgt told me