armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Private First Class

Default Any moms w/sons at Ft.Jackson?

Hi I'm new to this forum. My son left for Basic on Jan. 6th. so that makes 4 weeks into basic this Tuesday and it seems like 4 months on my end of things Or maybe it's just bad today because we didn't get a phone call? We have heard from him for the last 3 Sundays but not today and I sooooo count on that phone call. I spent the evening going from being sad to worried lol. Anyone else going thru this?

So far his one letter and calls have been upbeat about everything but the weather. It's been pretty cold there, much different from Texas. Seems someone stole his beanie the first week so his head is cold all the time (grin). But the last call he sounded very, very, tired and maybe a bit homesick? I expected that to happen at some point but it was hard to hear.

I'd love some input here though . . . in many places on the army site, the Ft.Jackson website, where it talks about Basic Training and what they go thru, it says . . . "we encourage the family to send letters and photos" . . . BUT . . . his drill srgt told everyone they would be doing 50 pushups and situps for every letter or package they received! Long story short . . . my son had asked that I send him his cell phone because the phones they use there have awful connections. I verified with his recruiter that this was ok to send. Last call he said he had signed for the package 3 days priror and was still doing pushups and situps every day because of the package! Sooooooo now even though I'd love to send him a letter with a funny photo .......... I am extremely hesitant to do so!!! I mean why on earth would I want to be the cause of him having to do more situps and pushups????

Has anyone else been thru this? Am I the only one not sending anything for fear I will cause him trouble? LOL.

Anyway . . . we are very proud of him and his choice to join the army but just having a hard time adjusting to not being able to talk with him and knowing how or if we can communicate with him on any level.

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to reply.

Down in the dumps mom

Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Brigadier General

When I was involved in Recruit Training, not as a Drill SGT but as an Instructor the recruits would have to do PUs for each letter they received but given the option of doing them or not receiving mail push-ups won every time. Don't worry - if he doesn't receive any letters there still will be plenty of opportunities of him being blessed with push-ups. The DS will find a reason.

I'd be careful with pictures, though. And instead of sending a short note everyday it's probably better to send a few in one envelope.

Push-ups shouldn't be considered as a punishment but rather as a method for strengthening the soldier. 50 isn't much. Rangers had to do 80 & if your son wants to get into anything like that he'll appreciate the PT. Just to pass the APFT he needs to do 60 if he's in the 17-21 age group, 71 to score 100% on the push-up part of the test.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Private First Class

Thanks for the advice. Was thinking that maybe we would all write but send in one envelope lol. He's a long time wrestler so he is used to the physical stuff. Used to have contests with his recruiter to see who could do more pushups. Think last time they hit 105? At first he was like . . . it's not bad I've had coaches yell at me more and worked out harder for meets but I think maybe this last week he might be hitting that point of break down they all go thru? He's a tuff guy so I'm sure he will be fine. I think for myself, being a mom and us having a close relationship, the lack of communication is hardest on me (grin).

Having this forum and someplace to "whine" last night was a real help! I'm really very proud of his choice and am looking forward to seeing how this will change him when it's all over. Looking forward to seeing him at graduation!

Thanks for your reply!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Corporal

Default Hang in there.

My husband is at Ft. Jackson in 2-60th. He said that it is now 20 push up for each letter. Sometimes we send pictures in the letters. My husband said that things are rough, but recent letters suggested that things are getting better. Organized and soldiers are following directions.
Hang in there only 5 more weeks left and then they won't be so restricted from conversation with family. Sometimes they get phones on Sundays and sometimes not. I am hoping for a call this weekend too.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Brigadier General

mshanson,

If he's a wrestler than he'll have no problem. I wrestled. I even coached wrestling at my son's grade school & later assisted at his H.S. I also coach Judo, another sport similar to wrestling in some respects.

My son was an Army Ranger & left active duty a few months ago.

I think anyone in BCT would rather do push-ups than not get mail.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Second Lieutenant

I know what you are going through. My son went through basic 2 years ago. It was hard to break those lines of communication. When you are used to them checking in all the time and being able to pick up the phone or text and find out where they are it's tough to break the connection cold turkey. My son never complained about getting letters. He was the opposite, he begged for them. And, I got a letter almost every day, sometimes 2. He was pretty homesick in the beginning, but by the end of the 4th week or so, the letters started turning around. I saved all of them and am putting together a scrap book for him. He will appreciate it one day. They really are a testament to how much he grew as a man in those few short weeks.

I got very few phone calls while he was in basic. If he got near a phone the first call he made was to check on his daughter. Then if the line wasn't too long, I might get a quick hello. I cherish the letters more. Of course I haven't received a single letter since basic, not even when he was deployed. Emails are easier.

Hang in there it gets better.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Private First Class

Default Long time no talk?

Well thanks everyone for the nice comments, it does help. It's now been two weeks without a call or a letter. Last we talked with him he had the flu and sounded awfull. I'm a bit worried at this point so hope he will call today??? If not, I just might have to get in touch with the recruter and say "find out if he is ok!!!!" LOL LOL LOL.

Last we talked he mentioned they were sending out packets about graduation dates but we have not seen anything yet? This is for CCompany 2/60th. Anyone else gotten dates yet???

I've been watching the air and hotel rates and not only are they going up but the hotels are starting to fill up as well!!! Sure would be nice to get dates so we could make plans.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Corporal

Red face dates of graduation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanson View Post
Well thanks everyone for the nice comments, it does help. It's now been two weeks without a call or a letter. Last we talked with him he had the flu and sounded awfull. I'm a bit worried at this point so hope he will call today??? If not, I just might have to get in touch with the recruter and say "find out if he is ok!!!!" LOL LOL LOL.

Last we talked he mentioned they were sending out packets about graduation dates but we have not seen anything yet? This is for CCompany 2/60th. Anyone else gotten dates yet???

I've been watching the air and hotel rates and not only are they going up but the hotels are starting to fill up as well!!! Sure would be nice to get dates so we could make plans.
The web site says that Gradualtion is March 20th. Which corresponds to the new extended 10 week BCT for additional training. However, it says to wait to book hotel and room until you know that your soldier is going to graduate. ( I know we never think our soldier... but maybe injury or what ever)
My daughters and I haven't recieved a phone call either, in two weeks. You would think Valentine's weekend... but no mercy. 2-60th are fine I am sure.... There are medics and doctors and such if your soldier needs medical attention.
My previous conversations with my husband suggested that they were going "camping" this week, so pray for good weather.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Corporal

how awesome that i found this thread! my boyfriend is in the 2-60th right now, B company. I'm sure you've heard the rumors of graduation changing but my boyfriend's sister called and it is still the 20th. only one more month!

with letters and everything, don't be hesitant! i have sent one letter every day and the letters they get are some of the best motivation they receive. they'll gladly do pushups to hear from you. my boyfriend's done 140 pushups for 7 letters so it's really great for them to hear from the family. about the phones, i believe they got their phones back, not sure about all of the companies though. the calling schedule will always be erratic, the entire company could get in trouble and be declined phone privileges for that Sunday or the line could just be super long and they just won't get a chance to call. flights out there will always be a little pricier because let's face it, Columbia is kinda out of the way lol but if you're booking a hotel, go for the northern point of Ft. Jackson because that will be the graduation entrance.

this is random but if you've looked at the Ft. Jackson website and checked the photo gallery on the BCT page have you found your soldier anywhere? i haven't had any luck lol

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Last edited by 4jeepchick4; 02-17-2009 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Corporal

one last thing! if you are planning your flight and hotel, make sure you can be in Columbia on March 18th because family day is the 19th and that is a big day, it's the first time you get to see your soldier again! and if their AIT is at Ft. Jackson, they may receive an overnight pass after graduation so plan for that if it applies to your soldier.

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!