armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Old 01-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Sergeant

Default Iron Gym Pullup/Chinup Bar

I picked up one of these things a week back to help prepare for the RPFT and I've already added 5 chinups to my total. Definitely worth the $30 if you need to improve in that area... plus it's a solid exercise anyhow.

And no, I do not work for these guys

[url]http://www.getirongym.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1[/url]

Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 PM
First Lieutenant

I'm heading over ot Walmart later to pick one up. I just bought the P90X workout series and I need a pull up bar. My barber uses the P90X system and he has changed over the last 45 days. You can really see a difference. So I thought, if it worked for him it can work for me because he was a lot smaller than me. He probably weighed in at about 125-135. Skinny guy. Now I think he's probably somewhere around 160 or so. He uses creatine too.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine4Life View Post
He uses creatine too.
Creatine is a waste of money. Adding water to your muscles doesn't increase strength, just bulks your up.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Brigadier General

oh for.....

Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Brigadier General

what you need is a good rowing rig.
good muscle workout allaround.

that or good strech and 15 km run with even pace..
or even walk..

thats loads better than a chinup bar or anything of that sort.

yep.. i would go for good rowing machine.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:53 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
I'm heading over ot Walmart later to pick one up. I just bought the P90X workout series and I need a pull up bar. My barber uses the P90X system and he has changed over the last 45 days. You can really see a difference. So I thought, if it worked for him it can work for me because he was a lot smaller than me. He probably weighed in at about 125-135. Skinny guy. Now I think he's probably somewhere around 160 or so. He uses creatine too.
I would get the pull up bar Marine, but wouldnt bother with the water muscle tablets. If its steriod based, it could post drug screening issues for you when going back into the Corps...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 02-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Brigadier General

Creatine is not a steroid & your body produces it naturally.

I've done extensive research on it when some of my wrestlers & Judo students started taking it.

The results of taking Creatine:

It provides more blood to the muscles thereby allowing more reps. It's possible to do 10%-20% more reps on the average before failure. This is what helps build up muscle mass. A side benefit (?) is the amount of water added to the muscles, giving an appearance of more muscle mass.

Creatine should never be taken with an acidic beverage - fruit juice, soda pops, coffee, etc. It's fairly benign to the stomach if taken with plain water. Otherwise there's a possibility of getting an ulcer.

At this time Creatine is legal in just about all sports. It's definitely a performance-enhancing product but enhancement comes over a period of time. However - some of my wrestlers said that they could go to the end of a real tough match & their muscles had no signs of giving up. This happened to my son who only took it for a short while to see if it offered any improvement. First off be prepared to move up to the next higher weight class. Fortunately for him there was a vacancy & he probably would have moved up regardless. He found improvement in reps which was predictable & also he found that if he took Creatine before a match he had a lot less muscle failure which was not predictable but was not a big surprise.

When he was in the Rangers many of them used Creatine prior to working out. At least at that time it was not against Army regs, totally legal.

Without overusing Creatine I believe it's a safe supplement. It has to be used sparingly just like any other thing we put in our bodies. Do I recommend it? No. Will I ban it at the Judo dojo or wrestling room? No. Each student or his parent has to make that decision on their own given all the facts. I would never recommend it's use before the age of puberty.

I don't have to spend a penny for fitness equipment. Our Judo club is also a Nautilus Fitness Center & I have free use of it anytime I want, even if it's closed. I have a key. The only thing I have to do is teach little kids how to throw other little kids on their back.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 PM
First Lieutenant

Personally, I've never used it. I do know that it's a legal substance in the Marine Corps. At least it was last year. I know this because the OSO, along with the CO, that I was talking to in Tennessee recommended it for people who were trying to gain a few extra pounds. I had mentioned to him that I wanted to gain about 15 to 20 pounds (that would put me at around 180 pounds) of lean muscle. I haven't done much research on it as a supplement though. I have tried protein shakes but I didn't see or feel any improvement so I stopped. I'm going to do more research on both and see which one, if either, would be right for me.

I've never been able to gain weight and I get frustrated when my body plateaus when weight training. I've weighed 157lbs since my freshman year in high school (1993). Triple decker PB & J sandwiches, lots of potatos, or any other food have done me no justice. Anyone got any suggestions on that subject, run them by me. Like I said, I will be comfortable weighing 180 to 185 lbs. All muscle though. No more than that. Plus I'm willing to put in the work to get it.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Brigadier General

Why don't we switch metabolism sensors, Marine? Since I've been advised not to run I put on some poundage. I still fall in the over 40 height/weight standards but not by much!

It seems my body demands the same amount of intake regardless of the lack of calorie burning excercises. As soon as winter is over, probably July in these parts, I've found a nice 12 mile trail with some good hills to hike on. Hopefully that'll do it. They say the older you get the harder it is to lose weight. We'll see. I'm definitely limiting my caloric & carb intake. Now it's only a gallon of ice cream a day & 3 bags of chips plus my usual 5 meals.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Private

Default p90x Me too

Quote:
I ordered mine about a month ago. I am finishing up week 4 this week. I already see results. The most important thing is the meal plan it comes with. The excercises are great. The hardest one cd in the entrire 12 cd package has to be the YOGA!!! It made me a believer. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.