armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 03-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Recruit

Default Best Assault Rifle

What are the opinions on assault rifles? Which is the best? Which is the worst? Which have unique advantages?
I quite like the G3 series of weapons, manufactured by HK.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Sergeant

m4
fn fal

i have heard that the hk jams, the mp5 more specifically, is this true or jus one bad gun

Old 04-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Sergeant

Default Different uses for different weapons

Well it all depends on the job you want it to do really,

The FN FAL and G3 are what are known as battle rifles, in that they are assault rifles, but are built for long range combat in open fields (7.62mm rounds) The problem with these is they are great on the ranges and pack a punch but they are too long, too heavy. Not very good for urban combat, which dominates military operations in our days.

Goind down the spectrum, we have the AK-47, M16 style weapons.
Using the short 7.62mm round or the 'ultimate small arms round' 5.56mm, these weapons can blow decent holes in things at reasonable ranges, but can also be picked up easilt and ran with to asault a posistion. They are designed to be universal, being equally good in open battle, jungle, urban, paradrops, the lot.

Then we have the weapons that arent really assault rifles atall but SMGs, sub machineguns. Such as the aforementioned MP5. They are perfect for urban, being of high caliber, 9mm and being compact, the MP5 is probably the best at this task. They are pretty useless when you get to battle situations.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Private

Default Hk G36

I would have to put my money on the Heckler & Koch G36. I have read over its stats when matched up against other weapons of the same classification, and really I would take this weapon over any other on the battlefield. Here are a couple points about the rifle, the foldable stock is a great addition. Next is an intigrated sight system that comes on all the standers G36 series axcept for the K and C versions. Now, an addition that I really think is a no brainer when designing a battle rifle. It is a clear magazine that "usually" holds 30 7.62 NATO rounds, so you can see how much more ammo you have left. Next is the trigger groupe, which allows the operator to choose from safe/semi/full auto mode in a quick flick of the thumb. The only bad thing that I see with the G36 series, as well as some others from HK, is the charging handle. Is it just me or does this charging system seem very..... oh.....britle?

Last edited by HKspectre-A2; 04-28-2005 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Sergeant

Yep, G36 is pretty good, it uses 5.56mm, not 7.62mm though.
I like the drum magazine for the MG36 and the inbuilt scope.
One of thing i don't like is apparently it breaks really easy... many of the components look like they could break if they are dropped..

My fav assault rifle is the SA80for pure beat-ability... the only parts you could really break if you hit someone with it is the SUSAT and the dust cover, but i have never heard of that happening..
The plastic parts are chunky and malleable to an extent, so will bend rather than snap, which takes alot of doing. It is easy to strip, unless the TMH pins get stuck, an easy fix is the hitting them with the bottom of a magazine. It is phenominaly accurate being bulpup, although it is weighted towards the but which makes for a loose group if you are a mong and dont hold it properly/ empty a full magazine at once, which is never done, atleast by a british soldier.
The reason there is so much negativity towards it is civilians or third-liners, because it tends to block without simple daily cleaning, which british troops are trained to, and deffinately do carry out on a daily basis.
It is reasonably light and compact, and all of the major problems such as magazine falling out have been fixed long ago.
The L85A2 is deffinately a good weapon and I see no reason for another assault rifle to come through, the next development being something like the OIWC in years to come...

Old 05-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Sergeant

Another thing i like about the SA80 is it's bayonet.. It's scabbard has an inbuilt sharpening stone, wire cutting attachment and saw. Oh and bottle opener.

L85 Bayonet:

Far better than G36, AK, M16, sod it, the rest:

Old 05-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Private

AK-47, it'll split ur head easily..............

Old 05-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Private

like Lord Barker said , it depends on the situacion..
todays war are fought in urban territories ,,,so i prefer a lightweight assault rifle like the m-16,, SA80 or the m-4 carbine !!...

Old 06-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to royal marine

you obviosly aint held an SA80 ....spose i am only 13 though

weak arms

whats that?
its my bren gun
couldnt you bring sumin more practical

Old 06-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Brigadier General

best ?

-= RK 95 TP =-

best AK-47 based modern AR.. (atleast according to Jane's)

worst? donno.. if it works, its good. if it can take some harsh weather like RK... its better.

the old RK 62 is exelent also..

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rk_62[/url]

Last edited by torspo[fin]; 06-12-2005 at 06:53 PM..