armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

IEDs do NOT take out heavy armor. This is a dear gift from our Iranian friends who have been using EFDs. IEDs are great for Humvees but not a MBT. The penetrator would be the likely culprit as it could dig in a couple of inches before detonating. And seeing as the bomb wasn't specified, and the extent of the damage, it's an EFD. And the only people who know how to make them are the Iranians.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:37 PM
First Sergeant

your right IED's mostly don't take out tracked or other heavy vehicles like that I just know what I use and what I'm incharge of protecting.....
it could have been the irainins that flooded the black market with the material, but most of the material u can gather at the local wallmart or equiviliant

Old 04-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Brigadier General

Explosive Foregin Device.. now thats a name.

how ever, its kinda clear that this was not your average IED.
but im puzzled about the hit area..

at first i was thinking along the lines of
something like [URL="http://tietokannat.mil.fi/kalustoesittely/media/1085566610_kylkimiina_81.jpg"]this here[/URL]. its Finnish side-mine.
but then again.. it would penetrate the armor only from one small area.
and the new tanks with urban upgrades.. i don't know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus185
wonder how the abrams steel encased uranium armour would stand upto it(the expolsive)...........but i was stunned when i heard about it chobum 2 armor being perced its shocking
what comes to the Abrams armor in similar situation, it has it weakspots also.
but its difficult to say.. in anycase, if the explosive used was antitank shaped charge
grater than 18kg point blank range, it would go trough pritty much any tank...
not the tower but the sides, and the lower hull.
but as we know thease things are national military grade stuff.

if it was an IED there could have been some sort of structural error in the
Callengers armor plate which took the hit. but even if that would be the case
the charge would have been AT-mine+ caliber.

Last edited by torspo[fin]; 04-25-2007 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Steady View Post
The U.S. military showed off a bunch of that sophisticated stuff at a press conference in Iraq a while back. They said it most likely came from Iran, but the media didn't seem interested.
Yea, they wouldnt, narrow vision is common these days... ...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-25-2007, 02:33 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
We're dealing with a country that doesn't accept UN resolutions etc ..So what are we gaining by playing by the rules..........More two fingered salutes it would seem....Its crazy really .We went into Iraq against the rules ....Now it would seem we are playing by them again

Going into Iraq that way was wrong, but two wrongs dont make a right.. Iran are exploiting this to the hilt, and gaining tremdously from it. Such an action though by Iran would not sit well with the EU, you know, the sleeping Giant on Irans flank... Dont underestimate the power of doing nothing.... they are afraid to waken us...

Old 04-25-2007, 02:40 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
IEDs do NOT take out heavy armor. This is a dear gift from our Iranian friends who have been using EFDs. IEDs are great for Humvees but not a MBT. The penetrator would be the likely culprit as it could dig in a couple of inches before detonating. And seeing as the bomb wasn't specified, and the extent of the damage, it's an EFD. And the only people who know how to make them are the Iranians.

Snips, I wouldnt get hung up over names and titles, the Provos had home made devices that blew British heavy armour 1/2 mile into the air and bits of the vehicle were scattered over a 12 mile radius... They were called booby traps... big ones, small ones.... all booby traps, IEDs, EFDs, there all booby traps... I was in an OP when an attack happen 8 miles over the border, I felt the pressure wave from the device 8 miles way.... Iran has to make smaller devices then the provos cos of the Terrain, and thats where the Geek division of the Jihaddis comes in..... they make em, train the Ts in their use and deploy to deadly effect... every vehicle has a weak point, and such devices are targeted at them... The intel needs to be steped up in Iran to target the supply routes and distribution hubs over the border in Iraq.. as the actions are coordinated, disruption of supply will have effect on their ability to wage their campaign...

Old 04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11binfantry View Post
your right IED's mostly don't take out tracked or other heavy vehicles like that I just know what I use and what I'm incharge of protecting.....
it could have been the irainins that flooded the black market with the material, but most of the material u can gather at the local wallmart or equiviliant
Yea, but trying making it without the skills, and you will soon find yourself in 1000 pieces.... They cant make AP Devices from homemade materials, as they simply are too big... ordinance is needed in shaped charge booby traps for AP targets... Assemble it wrong, and its game over for the T.. been the case many times in the past... I always have a giggle when it happens...

Old 04-25-2007, 02:43 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Was it the Israelis that used to saturate the black market supply with booby trapped components and ammo?
Wouldnt suprise me!!...

Old 04-25-2007, 02:45 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Have to play to keep the EU happy...relatively happy.
Certain EU states have been the biggest critics, or, actually, the most effective critics and that doesn't help the situation any.
True, but Bush should have thought about that prior to the invasion, it could have rolled down the line a very different way... correction, is SHOULD have rolled down the line a different way.... But no point whinging about water underneath the bridge.. its done, and the leaders of our nations just get on withit and fix the mistakes and drive home the right moves..

Old 04-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
True, but Bush should have thought about that prior to the invasion, it could have rolled down the line a very different way... correction, is SHOULD have rolled down the line a different way.... But no point whinging about water underneath the bridge.. its done, and the leaders of our nations just get on withit and fix the mistakes and drive home the right moves..
indeed.

my few points to this:

The Chritizism was just given the information what was at hand at the time.

-obviosly bogus WMD CGI images..
-the American invasion after the
overshoot presentation had failed.

the knowlage of the whole campaing being supported and lobbyed by the
american arms industry, and several "protection" firms.
+
the denial of certain european firms to do business in iraq.

as if we Europeans wouldn't know that your country runs by this sort
of conduct. and the money flow what your leaders have grown accustomed to.

Last edited by torspo[fin]; 04-25-2007 at 06:58 PM..