armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 08-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Private

Default juvenile record

Does the military use your juvenile record from joining in ? I thought your juvenile record was closed ones you turn 18. Would it matter also if those records are sealed ?

Old 10-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Recruit

The military uses everything you have ever done. They sit you down with a pen and tell you to write down any an every law violation. Even traffic tickets. Be careful while doing this. I was told that They can see even sealed records. However I wanted to go m.p. and fessed up to everything. Wich disqualified me. But when We went to get the records they not only found nothing on that particular arrest but they couldnt even find traffic tickets that happened a month or two prior. So even though that little sheet of paper I wrote on was front and back...the army had nothing on me. It was my own written confession that spoiled my chances of m.p. If I was you I would go to your juvey facility and ask for the records yourself. If they dont have em...dont fess up.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Yes, juvenile records are expunged (generally upon request) once you turn 18.

Answer the questions they ask, don't answer the ones they don't. They don't ask for a lot on initial enlistments for most MOSes unless you need a security clearance, and if that is the case - be up front and honest, always. They will find out, and it will only hurt you in the end.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Private

I just wanted to give my two cents very quickly. Yes, juvenile records are closed. Meaning, they are closed to the public, but they are always open to law enforcement and government officials. So, if you are an adult and have a criminal charge, although your juvenile records are closed, the government can and usually will bring your juvenile record in against you at sentencing.

My suggestion is, as for not telling, I agree, don't tell if you're not asked specificially, but if they ask and you don't tell, and they look, then you have lied on the application. Read the wording very carefully, sometimes forms asked if you have ever been convicted. In most juvenile cases, they give probation before judgment so you are not really convicted at the end of your probationary period.

MAKE SURE whether or not they specify that you have to put if your arrest was as a juvenile or not. Unless they specify juvenile arrest, I would assume they mean adult and you can always defend yourself on that assumption.

Saying that a case is expunged or sealed only matters to the general public if you are applying for a job in the private sector. Government officials always have access to your records.

Those are just my thoughts. You're kinda damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Last edited by DC Gal; 10-18-2005 at 01:40 PM..