armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Sergeant

Send a message via Yahoo to Attack The Radical!
Default U.S. Army ends its GED program

Sucks really. An Online Recruiter told me the Army ended its program 7-6-07. I had already planned on getting my GED by myself, but the program would of made it a bit easier. I got to thinking the other day. I figure I've got alot of time to waste while losing this weight, So I might as well get those College Credits. The question on my mind is this, no one that I've spoken to has really explained what these college credits actually are. I am under the impression that if I were to attend a college for 15 hours, and get a paper saying I attended 15 hours of college, that this would be accepted by the U.S. Army as a High School Diploma, along with a GED. Is this correct?

Old 07-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Sergeant

15 college credits along with a GED is equivalent to a High School Diploma. Take liberal arts.... they should be 2-3 credits per class or so. so you would need to take 5 or more classes. Full time college is approx. 4 classes per semester. Part-time is 2 or less. so.... figure you will be going to college for a year, or a year and a half. Trust me... it will be so worth it.... and in the long run that is such a small amount of time. College opens up doors. You'll see. Get on the ball and start rolling. Clocks don't stop ticking. Good luck.
May no soldier be forgotten,
Until they all come home.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Sergeant

Ouch.......

Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Dude, If you could get in school. Stay there. The more credits you have the better. 34 gets you an E-4. If you go full time at 9 credits a semester. You could have a big advantage in two and a half years.....You need to plan and think future. What's your plans ? Your not joining us? Your just thinking about it.Lol.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Sergeant

I am going to join the Army, That is for sure. The only reason I am even thinking of going to college is to have a higher chance of getting an MOS that I want. Whenever I get out, I plan on picking up my CDL and driving a truck for my Father's Company...Hell...Might even take it over. At this point in time, I just want to get out of this town, Go see the world, and blow **** up while doing it.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Sergeant

Army National Gaurd and Army....Whats the difference?

Old 07-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGWINTERS View Post
We are the oldest branch of the armed forces. We have a dual mission supporting our State and our Federal Government. We are a part-time component. There are many more as well.
If I was going to join for Honour, I'd go Marine Corps.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack The Radical! View Post
Army National Gaurd and Army....Whats the difference?
Key difference, in the National Guard you get a lot more guys like "Winters" here. Do you really want to deal with that for 12 months in the desert?

NG is a pretty good opportunity if you a) just want to get your foot in the door or b) don't feel like serving full time. Your jobs will be limited to the units around you, or the units you're willing to commute to. So, depending on the MOSes each unit has and the number of slots will sometimes limit your career choices.

The NG is a great choice if you want to go to school and serve. Most states offer 100% tuition assistance, and you can also apply for federal to double your funds. If you take ROTC, you'll make quite a hefty paycheck.

Think of it as part-time Army. You can deploy and you can be called up for state missions (disasters and what not) but for the most part, you'll show up to your unit one weekend a month, a Sat. and Sun. Then you'll report for at least two weeks out of the year.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

If you did some work using the search button or look at his posts, you'll soon find out won't you. So get off your fat *** and do some work "soldier"

Old 07-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

I might have a few slips of the tongue, but I can do a search.