- Forums

Go Back Forums > General Discussions > Suggestions & Feedback
User Name

Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 AM
gsx06cs gsx06cs is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Default bah issues

I am in the army national guard, and my unit is getting deployed back to iraq in may. I wasn't able to go with them the last time so I did not run into this problem. I was asking my first sgt about being able to get bah and he said that I would not be able to get it while I am oversease for the entire year.I am single with no dependents. I am renting my home for 800 dollars a month (rent to own) and me and my fiance are getting married when I come home so I want my place to stay when I get back. Not to mention the fact that I won't have newhere to keep my things and if I don't get my bah I'm going to be coming out of pocket 800 a month while I'm there. That's a lot of money for a single pfc. If anyone has any advice for me or what I can do please let me know. Thank you!
Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729

I don't know if I can offer any advice because if your 1SG said no BAH then I guess that's the final answer. It makes sense in as much as the Army is already providing you a "home" & the rental that you're in will remain empty.

Have you tried sub-letting it? Find someone who'll take over the place for the duration of your active duty. This would have to be cleared with the landlord of course. A friend or two who you trust could take it over & as a sweetener, if I were you, I'd kick in some money each month to sweeten the deal, maybe $100. That way the rent would be lower for them & you'd have a place to go when you get off of deployment.

The only other option that you've found out for yourself is to let the place go. Try to make an arrangement with a friend or relative that you'll stay with them when you get back for a month or so or until you can find a place of your own.

Good luck to you.
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 AM
shorty32 shorty32 is offline
Sergeant First Class
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FT.STEWART
Posts: 167

Get married now cause then your new wife will have benefits like bah only married people get it well single soldiers get partial bah but when you are married you are entitled to the whole thing
Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 PM
gsx06cs gsx06cs is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3

Well that is another problem. I have asked her father to marry my fiance and all but they want a big wedding so he will not let me marry her till I come home from deployment. I asked him the other day if we could do it before and he said plain out no. Not til I get home. I explained to him why wanted to cuz of the benefits and he will not go for it. How do I get the partial bah? And how much is that usualy?
Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
reconmedik's Avatar
reconmedik reconmedik is offline
Sergeant First Class
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 187
Default You can afford it!

As a single PFC in a war zone the 800.00 a month shouldnt be too much to bear. You will not pay a cent for housing, food or clothing while you are deployed. Granted the 800.00 a month you have to pay sucks but it will not drive you to bankruptcy. I am sure you will probably get promoted along with your hazerdous duty pay, family seperation pay and other little bennies you get you should be okay. You could do what I did, I got married at a justice of the peace and me and my wife had a large wedding 8 months later. Nobody has to know and the Army doesnt care where you get married. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM
tk1188 tk1188 is offline
Private First Class
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 15

yeah you wont be able to get BAH at all unless you get married before you go or you have a kid already that you can claim as a dependent
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.