armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Private

Default Basic military knowledge

Okay, guys. Considering that I'm completely new to the idea of joining the army(but beginning to pursue it with all that I am), I don't have general military knowledge. I can't understand half of what people are saying on here -- all the initials and terms. I have approximately a year before I need to speak with a recruiter and get things in order, and I do NOT want to talk to a recruiter and not understand 90% of what he is saying. How and where can I begin to learn basic military knowledge? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie.lei View Post
Okay, guys. Considering that I'm completely new to the idea of joining the army(but beginning to pursue it with all that I am), I don't have general military knowledge. I can't understand half of what people are saying on here -- all the initials and terms. I have approximately a year before I need to speak with a recruiter and get things in order, and I do NOT want to talk to a recruiter and not understand 90% of what he is saying. How and where can I begin to learn basic military knowledge? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou.
I think your in the right place to learn....the guys on here will explain the
Terminology....just ask..... learning is what is all about....theres no such thing as a stupid question....so fire away

Old 06-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Private

alrighty then, here's a random one -- what is this about 11x and 18x and the likes? what do those mean?
as I said before.. I don't know any terminology -- and it's so frustrating!!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Brigadier General

Jamie,

Every job in the Army, called the Military Occupational Specialty or MOS have a number &letter designated for it. For instance 11B is Infantry. When a recruit has an Infantry contract he's assigned the tentative MOS of 11X because there are two MOSs in Infantry, 11B & 11C (Mortar man) & somewhere in Infantry School he'll be assigned to one or the other.

18X is the entry designation for a Special Forces recruit. He'll go to Infantry School, Airborne School & then on to the Special Forces training pipeline. Since there are 4 MOSs in Special Forces the X is designated until an actual MOS is decided on & he finishes his 18 series MOS school.

Just Google "US Army MOS" & you'll get a list of what each MOS is designated as.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Jamie,

Every job in the Army, called the Military Occupational Specialty or MOS have a number &letter designated for it. For instance 11B is Infantry. When a recruit has an Infantry contract he's assigned the tentative MOS of 11X because there are two MOSs in Infantry, 11B & 11C (Mortar man) & somewhere in Infantry School he'll be assigned to one or the other.

18X is the entry designation for a Special Forces recruit. He'll go to Infantry School, Airborne School & then on to the Special Forces training pipeline. Since there are 4 MOSs in Special Forces the X is designated until an actual MOS is decided on & he finishes his 18 series MOS school.

Just Google "US Army MOS" & you'll get a list of what each MOS is designated as.
This helped a lot, Glenn. Despite the fact that I googled 11x and such I still didn't understand -- but you cleared it up, thankyou very much. It's appreciated.

Hmm, now on to the next term...

Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie.lei View Post
This helped a lot, Glenn. Despite the fact that I googled 11x and such I still didn't understand -- but you cleared it up, thankyou very much. It's appreciated.

Hmm, now on to the next term...
You can learn allot by Google, just go and Google "US ARMY MOS", and you will get hits on the MOS list what they do and you should find something of interest... Also, google Sgt Star (US online virtual recruiter on [url]www.goarmy.com[/url]) and you will get some good answers to questions there too. Also, research this forum for fitness requirements, and Glenn, Tacky, and Nightflyer have given out some top advice on fitness for the military. IF you are serious, get training now, take it slow at the start and build up your fitness day in day out, and in a year once you do it right, you will physically conditioned and fit to start and do well in military.

Exo..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Private

Thank you for the advice, Exo1, it looks as if Sgt Star will be helpful. I am slowly training myself but I don't feel like I'm getting very far. I ride a bike about 8 miles a day just to work up my poor cardio but I do seriously need to start running.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Brigadier General

Buliding Cardio fitness is a process....and dosnt happen over-night...but keep plugging away and youll get there

good luck.... jrj1000

Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Private

Hey, another question.. When you do sit-ups in the army do you always have someone keeping your feet on the ground? And if that's so, doesn't that make it a lot easier? I can't imagine the army making it easier on us
Also, when someone isn't there to keep your feet on the ground does your coccyx kill you or is that just me?

Old 07-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Brigadier General

The standard Army sit-up is bent legs with someone holding your feet down. If in doubt about any element in the PT test have someone in the Army show you exactly how they're done. A recruiter or someone at your local Reserve or Guard center. A push-up or sit-up done wrong doesn't count.

I don't know about pain doing sit-ups. Never had them. The Army uses bent-leg sit-ups because there's less chance on getting an injured back.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.