armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 06-27-2008, 11:49 PM
jamie.lei jamie.lei is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Default Basic military knowledge

Okay, guys. Considering that I'm completely new to the idea of joining the army(but beginning to pursue it with all that I am), I don't have general military knowledge. I can't understand half of what people are saying on here -- all the initials and terms. I have approximately a year before I need to speak with a recruiter and get things in order, and I do NOT want to talk to a recruiter and not understand 90% of what he is saying. How and where can I begin to learn basic military knowledge? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 06-28-2008, 04:15 AM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie.lei View Post
Okay, guys. Considering that I'm completely new to the idea of joining the army(but beginning to pursue it with all that I am), I don't have general military knowledge. I can't understand half of what people are saying on here -- all the initials and terms. I have approximately a year before I need to speak with a recruiter and get things in order, and I do NOT want to talk to a recruiter and not understand 90% of what he is saying. How and where can I begin to learn basic military knowledge? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou.
I think your in the right place to learn....the guys on here will explain the
Terminology....just ask..... learning is what is all about....theres no such thing as a stupid question....so fire away
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 06-28-2008, 11:04 PM
jamie.lei jamie.lei is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Default

alrighty then, here's a random one -- what is this about 11x and 18x and the likes? what do those mean?
as I said before.. I don't know any terminology -- and it's so frustrating!!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Jamie,

Every job in the Army, called the Military Occupational Specialty or MOS have a number &letter designated for it. For instance 11B is Infantry. When a recruit has an Infantry contract he's assigned the tentative MOS of 11X because there are two MOSs in Infantry, 11B & 11C (Mortar man) & somewhere in Infantry School he'll be assigned to one or the other.

18X is the entry designation for a Special Forces recruit. He'll go to Infantry School, Airborne School & then on to the Special Forces training pipeline. Since there are 4 MOSs in Special Forces the X is designated until an actual MOS is decided on & he finishes his 18 series MOS school.

Just Google "US Army MOS" & you'll get a list of what each MOS is designated as.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 06-29-2008, 06:24 PM
jamie.lei jamie.lei is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Jamie,

Every job in the Army, called the Military Occupational Specialty or MOS have a number &letter designated for it. For instance 11B is Infantry. When a recruit has an Infantry contract he's assigned the tentative MOS of 11X because there are two MOSs in Infantry, 11B & 11C (Mortar man) & somewhere in Infantry School he'll be assigned to one or the other.

18X is the entry designation for a Special Forces recruit. He'll go to Infantry School, Airborne School & then on to the Special Forces training pipeline. Since there are 4 MOSs in Special Forces the X is designated until an actual MOS is decided on & he finishes his 18 series MOS school.

Just Google "US Army MOS" & you'll get a list of what each MOS is designated as.
This helped a lot, Glenn. Despite the fact that I googled 11x and such I still didn't understand -- but you cleared it up, thankyou very much. It's appreciated.

Hmm, now on to the next term...
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie.lei View Post
This helped a lot, Glenn. Despite the fact that I googled 11x and such I still didn't understand -- but you cleared it up, thankyou very much. It's appreciated.

Hmm, now on to the next term...
You can learn allot by Google, just go and Google "US ARMY MOS", and you will get hits on the MOS list what they do and you should find something of interest... Also, google Sgt Star (US online virtual recruiter on [url]www.goarmy.com[/url]) and you will get some good answers to questions there too. Also, research this forum for fitness requirements, and Glenn, Tacky, and Nightflyer have given out some top advice on fitness for the military. IF you are serious, get training now, take it slow at the start and build up your fitness day in day out, and in a year once you do it right, you will physically conditioned and fit to start and do well in military.

Exo..
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM
jamie.lei jamie.lei is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Default

Thank you for the advice, Exo1, it looks as if Sgt Star will be helpful. I am slowly training myself but I don't feel like I'm getting very far. I ride a bike about 8 miles a day just to work up my poor cardio but I do seriously need to start running.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 AM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default

Buliding Cardio fitness is a process....and dosnt happen over-night...but keep plugging away and youll get there

good luck.... jrj1000
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 PM
jamie.lei jamie.lei is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Default

Hey, another question.. When you do sit-ups in the army do you always have someone keeping your feet on the ground? And if that's so, doesn't that make it a lot easier? I can't imagine the army making it easier on us
Also, when someone isn't there to keep your feet on the ground does your coccyx kill you or is that just me?
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 07-04-2008, 08:01 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

The standard Army sit-up is bent legs with someone holding your feet down. If in doubt about any element in the PT test have someone in the Army show you exactly how they're done. A recruiter or someone at your local Reserve or Guard center. A push-up or sit-up done wrong doesn't count.

I don't know about pain doing sit-ups. Never had them. The Army uses bent-leg sit-ups because there's less chance on getting an injured back.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.