armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Private

Send a message via Yahoo to snowhite634
Question Ft. Jackson vs. Fort Leonard Wood

Is either one harder than the other? Can you have cell phones at either one?

I have heard so many rumors where people at Jackson are having cell phones, pizza, movies, etc...Is it true?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Private First Class

My son is at Ft Jackson in BCT since Jan 6th. He is graduting next week. Here is what our experiance was . . .

NOOOOO CELL PHONES!!! They will take them away upon arrival and not be given back till graduation day.

Letters are ok but NO packages.

My advice . . . send ONLY what is on the list they give you and nothing else.

We kept hearing the term "relaxin jackson" in ref to Ft Jackson but I can promise you that is NOT the case. Lots of issues going on there it seems and it's been HELL for those kids this time around.

However, it's my understanding that you don't have a choice where you go, you just go where they tell you lol.

Best of luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Recruit

Unhappy One of my sons just left for Ft. Jackson, I am worried!!!!!!

He just shipped out yesterday to go to Ft. Jackson. The job he will be learning is as a light-wheel mechanic. What is the likelyhood he could be deployed to the war? And, if so will he be in harms way? What are the ways the army can discharge you from Basic Training and what is the monthly beginning pay grade for a 1st time enlistment for a light-wheel mechanic with no prior experience?

Last edited by jawo; 03-11-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawo View Post
I didn't want my son to join the military because I know recruiters will do and say anything just to recruit people because they have a quota to fill. He just shipped out yesterday to go to Ft. Jackson. The job he will be learning is as a Light-Wheel Mechanic. What is the likelyhood he could be deployed to the war? Please, someone who knows about this and can reassure me that he will not be deployed, respond. Thankyou, very worried mom
I hate to break the news but your son will most likely deploy. And a light-wheel mechanic...well who do you think keeps our vehicles running over there? We're a nation that is stretched thin with troops overseas so your son will most likely deploy, that's just the reality.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Corporal

Quote:
He just shipped out yesterday to go to Ft. Jackson. The job he will be learning is as a light-wheel mechanic. What is the likelyhood he could be deployed to the war? And, if so will he be in harms way? What are the ways the army can discharge you from Basic Training and what is the monthly beginning pay grade for a 1st time enlistment for a light-wheel mechanic with no prior experience?
that's the same MOS as my boyfriend. being deployed is just a reality, i'm scared to death of him being deployed but that's just a risk taken when they sign up. most likely they'll be in a garage but i know that some convoys take a mechanic out with them because the humvees break constantly.

as for the difference between the forts, i think every fort is equally tough. my boyfriend at Jackson did say that they got their cell phones for one day, not even the full day. And they got to go to a concert where they got pizza and soda and a candy bar but i'm definitely sure they paid for it the next day! this is also near the end of their training and my BF also told me the drill sergeants have lightened up a little. either way, it's basic training, and your MOS will determine where you end up going.

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Private

Send a message via Yahoo to InkedAngel62287

Quote:
Hey
For starters, you son will most likely be deployed at least once in his Army career, that's just how it works. . . especially for his MOS. He went in as a light wheel mechanic and that is one of the most used MOS's whenever we deploy somewhere because the Army needs vehicles to get around and he happens to fix them, because they do and will break down. He most likely won't go outside the wire unless there is something that breaks down off the post and he is in the group that goes an fixes it. A lot of the guys I know who are mechanics of that sort and are deployed to Iraq haven't left the post. The monthly pay depends on his rank, not his MOS. You can search for Active Duty Pay Table through Google and it should pull up a table then you just look for his rank and the amount will be there. As far as being discharged from Basic there are a few ways:
1. MedBoard - This is only for soldiers who are badly injured and the injury will affect the rest of their lives, or if they have to have surgery for their injury. This is an honorable discharge usually
2. Chaptering - There are different Chapters for this, they range from things like being homosexual and someone finding out about it all the way down to Psychological discharges. . these range from honorable to other than honorable discharges.
3. Bad Conduct Discharge - This is technically a chapter but I thought I would put it in it's own catagory, this is NOT a discharge that anyone wants to get because it means that you are such a bad soldier and got in trouble so much that they didn't have any choice but to kick you out of the military. You WILL Get a Dishonorable discharge, and many employers will not hire you if they find out about this, and I do believe you can't serve in the military ever again but I'm not sure . . .
If you are thinking of trying to talk him into getting discharged from the Army, I would highly recommend against it. . . I have personally witnessed people who have tried to get discharged when I was in Basic, and a lot of times it didn't work and also some of them got bad conduct discharges for lying and trying to get out.
Your son signed a contract with the military, and he should honor it. I can understand if you are scared for his safety, but I promise you that the skills he will learn will help him to be safe no matter where he is. Also, the other soldiers that he is training with and that he will be stationed with in his actual unit will watch his back. They become a family and they will watch out for each other. Don't worry your son will do well and he is doing a great honor for his country. You should be very proud of him!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Private First Class

From all the news about FLW be THANKFULL you got FJackson lol.

My youngest will be goin to BCT at Ft Sill in OK but his MOS will be light wheel mechanic. Suppose he will be sent to FJ as well for AIT?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Corporal

What news about FLW? Now I am concerned... my hubby is there. He has his cell, and he is allowed packages, but they treat them horribly! He gets cussed at and called names all the time, they tore apart their barracks the other night and made the platoon clean it up (they spit on his blanket and he wasn't allowed clean linens until the next day), and they smoke them everyday 100 times a day. He says they make them do 50 and 60 reps and the max they are supposed to have to do is 30...

I am just concerned... is there something I need to know about FLW?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Brigadier General

Every BCT post has horror stories. Each & every class is totally unique. You can have some really hardcore Drill Sgts at a supposedly "easy" BCT post & some very permissive ones at a "hard" one. Supposedly Infantry OSUT at Ft. Benning is the hardest of them all. The new soldiers come in one end at basic & come out the other as Infantry School graduates with a seamless class, BCT & AIT together, same place, same DSs, same recruits. If you have a hard DS you've got him for 14 weeks. My son didn't think it was unnecessarily hard. Tough, yes but nothing he didn't expect. Once they completed the first phase of BCT things got a little better and still better yet in the Infantry School phase , but certainly they didn't have a whole lot of privileges in any event.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanson View Post
From all the news about FLW be THANKFULL you got FJackson lol.

My youngest will be goin to BCT at Ft Sill in OK but his MOS will be light wheel mechanic. Suppose he will be sent to FJ as well for AIT?
yup, FJ is where the light wheel vehicle mechanic school is

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!